MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this will help anyone on here but I have set up a small youtube channel to basically document our projects and also attempt helping people on how to do certain bits to there Minis. Essentially at the moment as we have 4 R53's there is only content for the R53 but we will be branching out into others soon! I am by no means a Mechanic but love to help in any way I can, but I do apologise if I have gotten anything wrong it in the videos! Im, sure there are loads of glaring errors to you professional guys :)

Here is a link to our channel Mod A Mini Garage we hope it helps someone and would love any feedback you may have!

All the best,

Miriam xx

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, and welcome I guess!

I've seen a couple of your videos actually whilst browsing, mostly the heater core as I changed that on mine and need to do it again (blew about a month after doing it) so it definitely helped!

How is the eBay one holding up that you fitted?

(Subscribed)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and welcome I guess!

I've seen a couple of your videos actually whilst browsing, mostly the heater core as I changed that on mine and need to do it again (blew about a month after doing it) so it definitely helped!

How is the eBay one holding up that you fitted?

(Subscribed)
So far it has been fine! it has been in a few months now with no issues at all :) thanks for the welcome! probably should have introduced myself hahaha. Glad it has helped someone though!

Miriam xx

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
the chances are you'll pick up more from the lot in here 😂 most here seem to know their way round their cars pretty well

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the chances are you'll pick up more from the lot in here 😂 most here seem to know their way round their cars pretty well
Oh definitely! I hadn't picked up a spanner ever before I started this channel in November, but I am about to start re-building our track Mini's blown engine! It's going full race spec with the end goal of 300bhp whilst maintaining a supercharger. Not sure how possible this is but thats the aim :) Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, Miriam xx

·
Resident Gobshite
4,140 Posts
What supercharger are you fitting then? Because the original one won’t flow that well. Even with a BVH etc.

Lee here did some good work with the TVSsupercharger. From recollection he was around the 300 mark? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. Haven’t been round these parts for a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What supercharger are you fitting then? Because the original one won’t flow that well.
Harrop TVS 900 :love::love: the whine on those things! The sprintex runs too hot and generally, the Harrop is the better kit of the 2, at least the more efficient anyway although only worth doing if you upgrade the tensioner at the same time in both applications, the belts slip is pretty crazy otherwise. Wouldnt mind either to be fair but the Harrop will be the route we go down unless we can use something of our own creation :)

Miriam xx

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Hmm. Don't come across like the type of person that is going to contribute much to this forum.

7 posts....all of which are related to pushing your website and your YouTube channel. Then talk of a 300bhp R53 (EDIT: TVS build...I stand corrected 🤭)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm. Don't come across like the type of person that is going to contribute much to this forum.

7 posts....all of which are related to pushing your website and your YouTube channel. Then talk of a 300bhp R53 (EDIT: TVS build...I stand corrected 🤭)
To be honest the forums just arent used enough anymore to warrant a lot of time on them, but the information on them is so vast! They're so handy to be part of as the information is already on here with a simple search is amazing. We are a lot more regular on the likes of Facebook Groups thats for sure. We are always happy to help anyone that needs anything but there are way more educated people on here than us :)

When people want performance parts we can supply them cheaper than other companies in most cases, but we aren't pushing that on here as you have noticed :) And we only mentioned our youtube channel so that people could be helped by our videos or correct our errors :LOL:.

We also strongly believe 300bhp with an aftermarket supercharger is more than possible! there is a guy in Scotland with over 300bhp from an Eaton M45 (admittedly using a big old shot of nitrous amongst other mods hahaha)...

Lastly looking through your project build, It a very good spec! spec you must be in the region of the 250hp area, how are the R56 calipers coping with that disc pad combo? We sell tonnes of these kits so interesting to find out ;)

Sorry if I come across a bit backward the whole forum thing is new to me :)

Miriam xx

·
Resident Gobshite
4,140 Posts
Tips to achieve 300bhp in an R53....

1) Buy R53
2) Realise it’s too much work
3) Buy R56 instead

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What supercharger are you fitting then? Because the original one won’t flow that well. Even with a BVH etc.

Lee here did some good work with the TVSsupercharger. From recollection he was around the 300 mark? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. Haven’t been round these parts for a while.
I would be very intrigued to speak with this Lee you speak of :). im thinking without the charger we should see around the 270hp from our rebuild and spec, I really hope with the harrop we can see 290-300! but the end goal is 300 using a charger.... if not we will need to invent our own kit hahaha!

this is the plan once funds allow...

Big valve cylinder head (Tom Biss)
Matched inlet manifold (Tom Biss)
550cc injectors
DeatschWerks DW65v Fuel Pump
JE-Pistons (+77.50 oversized) with Piston Rings
ZRP Rods with ARP Bolts
King race big end shells
King race main shells
Newman PH3/4 or 469 Camshaft with ARP Cam Bolt,
KAVS +2 Lightweight crank pulley
Scorpion de cat Manifold with wrapping
Scorpion non-res cat back (I WANT TO SEE FLAMES HAHAHAHA)
Oil cooler kit from Airtec with thermostat
Airtec CAI
Airtec Intercooler (or you might see the return of the of the BeKool intercooler! we have located the original creator and are in talks but they arent cheap!)
Vibratechnics Engine and Gearbox Mounts (Not sure on competition or Road... Essentially its a road-legal track car so thinking road to save harshness?)
ARP head studs,
Victor Reinze head gasket
NGK BKR7EQUP (Might go down to a heat range of 8?)
Mobil 1 Oil and MANN Filter
FAI Timing chain kit
Victor Reinz Sump Gasket
KAVS 18% Pulley (Making 20% with the +2% Crank)
Mr Retro Leads 8.5mm HT Leads
Helix 4 Paddle Race/Track clutch and flywheel
Devilsown or AEM Methanol Injection (Depends which I can get)
Decent AFR Guage
Quaife LSD or OS Giken

and then a Harrop.... thinking this should be there or thereabouts! anyway this setup could be improved let me know :)

Miriam xx

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am very skeptical about your 270 on the M45. But let's see.

I don't think Lee has gotten close to 300 yet with his TVS.
This is sooo good to know! I definitely think we can get the 300 from the TVS with a lot of work tuning and tweaking, it's going to be hard, the worst case is we will have to research other types of supercharger that fit i.e. M62 or the TVS 1320... either of these will be a lot of work though... 1320 will need to be top-mounted I think! hahaha

Miriam xx

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This is sooo good to know! I definitely think we can get the 300 from the TVS with a lot of work tuning and tweaking, it's going to be hard, the worst case is we will have to research other types of supercharger that fit i.e. M62 or the TVS 1320... either of these will be a lot of work though... 1320 will need to be top-mounted I think! hahaha

Miriam xx
Not even sure the w11 could push air through chambers this size? 1.32 is a lot of puff!

EDIT: plus bolt-on is soooooo much easier hahaha

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,135 Posts
Save yourself some money and leave the fuel pump alone. Unless you are planning on sacking off the dead head system it's a waste of time.

PS, and answer to my pm would be nice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts