MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all !

New to the forums, I've been looking around a bit getting some ideas so I thought I'd introduce myself and my car :).

I've just turned 19 and got a decent pay rise/bonus at work for my first year so I decided I'd ditch the MK4 1.6 Golf SE I was driving and treat myself to a proper car, as well as something a bit different for my age! I'd been driving my dads R56 Cooper D about on occasions and liked it but decided something a bit different was in order..

After looking for a while me and my dad managed to find a R55 Clubby Cooper D in Chili Red/Black with a decent mileage and a few extras (Panoramic Sunroofs, Heated Lounge Interior, Climate Control, etc). Managed to get a fair bit off the asking price giving me a bit extra for mods.. :p.

Anyhow, heres the car.. sorry for the shit pictures!

Haven't changed anything on the car yet, but have ordered new back discs, new back wipers, a tax disc holder and the black beltline de-chrome kit.

As for planned mods I'm thinking:

• Lowering the car (Probably about 30-35mm)
  • De-chrome the exterior, possibly just red/black but I'll see when the beltline kit arrives
  • Different Wheels - Thinking OEM mini wheels, or possibly a set of Team Dynamics depends on funds/what I find!, When I do this I'll get rid of the runflats :p
  • JCW bumpers/skirts - Front bumper first I think depending on funds
  • Aero Grill
  • Steering Wheel retrimmed
  • DPF Delete and Remap
  • JCW Side Scuttles
  • Stubby Aerial

I'm pretty sure there's more stuff planned that I've missed off. Enjoying driving it as it is for the time being anyway, far nicer to drive than the MK2 and MK4 Golfs that I've been used to haha!

Btw I'm not too car savvy if I'm honest, my dad helps with the majority of car related things as I've got a pretty limited knowledge on car-related stuff! so any advice etc is well appreciated! :)

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Welcome mate, nice car to have at 19, don't do stupid shit to it, regret it and then sell it making a huge loss... Lol.

Have a look through the R56 projects on here, Tweedbeans is a very nice looking clubby. You don't have to go too mad with them to make them look amazing... I'd be tempted by the JCW kit, wheels and lower it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same Major, hopefully mine will look better when the wheel gap is sorted out ha!

Cheers SteveS its something a bit different seeing as most my mates have corsas and saxos ha, and that's pretty much what I had planned as the key things, lowering it, get some nice wheels and then the body kit/grill. The other stuffs mainly just the JCW bits n bobs, trying to keep it as original as possible for the insurance.
The cars already saving me money anyway, nearly halfing my monthly fuel bill and the cheap tax is always good, hopefully it doesn't depreciate in value too bad.

I've been looking at Tweedbeans and a couple other clubbys, really nice cars, giving me ideas haha!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Nice. Should look sweet with it sitting lower and some of the chrome gone. Just out of interest, whats the insurance like for a 19 year old on a clubby D?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers alex1988, I'm on a Elephant.co.uk 10 months bonus Accelerator policy and thats around £1400.

Think its about £1600 for the full year, but I did have an accident last year in the Golf and I've been on my dads policy so no no claims bonus. I've also ran quotes without the accident and they come back at around just over £1000 so not too bad.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Excellent, another Clubbie Dooper owner... Welcome to MT :)
Sick! We're coming together well!!

Welcome to MT pal, what a nice looking clubbie! Is that a sunroof?!

Look at R99's old thread on his clubby too. It's a serious clubman for you to gain inspiration from too.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
They aren't that slow tbh. The torque is superb... Sport button is good too, sadly not for MPG though...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for the welcomes guys, definitely agree that clubbys are the way forward ;p

Yeah its got the sunroofs Lewis :) , think I've been looking at R99s project thread, the chili red/black one? looks well nice.

Feels pretty nippy for me ! my first diesel though, but think I'm going to get the remap and dpf delete around christmas time so that should help.

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
Hi and welcome to MT
Definitely lower and definitely fit the JCW kit, makes sooooo much difference on a clubbie.
P-torque seem to have a good rep for tuning the D's

Oh, red is a great colour ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers Ian & Platty!

I'll get on it Ian :p possibly sourcing some of the JCW kit this weekend, undecided on suspension so I think I'll leave that till the end of the month/next month and have a think.

I'll get checking out the project threads Platty, already been reading through a few.. already giving me ideas aha!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts