MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The AEM Cold Air Intake System will deliver cool air inlet temperatures due to the filter being located outside of the engine compartment. The air duct supplied mounts to the bonnet which makes the bonnet scoop functional after removing the plastic grill, this also helps take in the maximum amount of cold air to the high flow air filter. A turbo heatshield is included to keep the heat away from the duct.

An aluminum tube supplied takes air to the AEM silicone adaptor which delivers the air to the turbo. This tube combined with the duct and high flow air filter will give your MINI a slightly louder growl from the engine, accompanied by an improved throttle response and an increase of 14.14 horsepower, according to AEM.

We tested this AEM setup on a 2012 JCW and the car showed results as follows:

Standard JCW airbox with OEM filter - 204bhp
Standard JCW airbox with ITG filter - 208.4bhp (4.4bhp gained)
AEM Intake - 225.4bhp (21.4bhp gained)

Overview:

• Improved power gains
  • Improved throttle response
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Washable/reusable air filter

What's in the box?

1x AEM dry air filter
1x AEM air box
1x AEM bonnet air duct
1x Aluminum intake tube
1x Silicone hose end for turbo
1x AEM turbo heat shield
1x Mounting hardware
1x Detailed instructions

Kit fits:

All R56 MINI Cooper S models with N14 engines including the JCW - adapter coming for non-MAF versions.

lohen-aem-intake.jpg lohen-aem-intake1.jpg lohen-aem-intake2.jpg lohen-aem-intake3.jpg lohen-aem-intake-filter.jpg

·
Registered
877 Posts
There is a good thread on NAM about this intake. Looking forward to someone actually doing a before and after on the RR with this fitted.

Shame you have to go with AEM strut brace or no strut brace with this fitted.

Link if it helps:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...7/220443-new-mini-cooper-intake-from-aem.html

Glad to see this available in the UK. A test against my FJCW airbox with ITG panel filter would decide it for me if there were gains to be had.

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
Looks very nice, is this the one that Feenaldo is testing?

Also nee some more pics from above of it fitted please Emma

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
^^^ very nice - looks like it would just squeeze past my catch cans too :thumbup1:

Reference my Q in post 9 - I assume that graph wasn't on your race car ?

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ very nice - looks like it would just squeeze past my catch cans too :thumbup1:

Reference my Q in post 9 - I assume that graph wasn't on your race car ?
No - this is the AEM dyno graph. We will be testing this on Ben's car to get a real-world example. We didn't think the Race Cars would be a reliable source of daily driver information given one is running the MINI Challenge Kit and the other a Motec ECU tuned to 247bhp! :)

Our dyno graph and results will follow once the trial fit has happened.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great, look forward to someone on here doing before and after testing on their own car.

Can I just ask, can this be fitted with a GTT strut brace, if not do you supply an upper strut brace for this to be fitted with?

Also im guessing its ok to fit an R55 Clubman JCW?
We haven't yet tried it with a strut brace - we don't carry GTT in stock but can try with a JCW strut brace when it comes in for its trial fitting :)

Yes, this should be fine with a Clubman.

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
^ He'll need the challenge brace more than likely as the JCW brace doesn't allow clearance for the adjusters for front dampener adjustment on aftermarket suspension.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
^ He'll need the challenge brace more than likely as the JCW brace doesn't allow clearance for the adjusters for front dampener adjustment on aftermarket suspension.
Yep, adjustable coilovers going on in the summer, so would need a brace that allows access to the adjusters. Someone mentioned an AEM brace, do they even make strut braces, do you supply that?

1 - 20 of 233 Posts