MiniTorque.com banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Thanks, yeah am pretty excited to get started! I blame @big jim for the engine bits, seeing his trip to 1320 recently - that and all the other people running 220hp+ and feeling I'm missing out! I had no intension of doing those mods until the winter.

I also got a surprise this morning, I only ordered them on Tuesday! Orranje being as good as ever :)

It's thrown me a little - I was going to start taking apart the front of the car this weekend but now I think I've got to do the suspension first :D

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Know how you feel, Jim has got me wanting to bring engine plans forward too. Going to try and hold off and leave them until next year.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
I think that shows they are indeed 'off the shelf'?

They look like BR....

Always nice when new suspension comes, give it six months of daily use though and you won't want to touch the grit and crap all over them haha

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Quick update - new suspension is on, but I couldn't get the rear LCAs swapped due to a lack of tools - I'll either borrow/buy a suitable socket to get between the fuel tank and the bolt head or get the alignment shop to do it. It's at stock height (roughly) at the moment but I'll adjust it soon.

One issue I didn't expect was the 17" bullet alloys don't clear the front suspension now, so I'm using that as an excuse to do a stud conversion and get some 6mm spacers. My x-lites are fine though so they are on at the moment. I've only been for a brief drive with no rear seats or panels, etc. and I was amazed how much noisier it is! Backing over a slightly dirty tarmac surface sounded like going into a gravel trap. Still, those side panels are 3Kg each so they may go for track days at least... couldn't really comment on the ride as it was only down the road and back.

I'm still waiting on a new alternator so I'm not 100% on what I'll do next, probably the supercharger and the o-ring causing my oil issues.

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I've made some decent progress - into front end service mode and replaced the crank sensor o-ring which was very flat. It'll be interesting to see if it stops all the oil from under the car or if I may need to do the sump gasket as well.

Proper inspection of the alternator made me glad I've got a new one coming, it was far more damaged than I initially thought (though I'm sure there have been worse out there). One of the cracked portions on it I pulled off very easily by hand.

Also there's weirdly a missing part of the AC compressor mount which I didn't know about. It doesn't seem to be loose in any way though.

I've also found a hidden point of significant wear on one of the radiator hoses so I'll be replacing that as well.

Hopefully by midweek the supercharger will be off and I'll see how that's looking inside, and fit the new water pump.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
time for another compressor imo, the bottom lateral bolt I wouldn't trust on it's own to take the load of the pulley end really, although it looks to have been for some time

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
If it’s at stock height now then it won’t be once you’ve driven around on it and it settles in, good place to start though and see how it goes particularly if like me you don’t like the slammed look.

I had the same issue with access to the centre control arm bolts, so had to get some additional tools in.

I also had a spot wearing through on a water hose due to how the clamp on another hose was situated.

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
time for another compressor imo, the bottom lateral bolt I wouldn't trust on it's own to take the load of the pulley end really, although it looks to have been for some time
Yes I don't think that one will stay - it'll either be replace or remove completely.I was always planning on getting rid of air con eventually, but I'm not sure I'm at the weight saving point yet and cold air is nice anyway. Between that and the alternator, if there is flex there under load/bumps that may have helped cause my shredded drive belt last year (maybe).

I've evened up each side now to around 600mm front and 620mm rear (floor to bottom of arch) just as a starting point - the car was around 610 front and 630 rear before I did the swap. I want to trim off most of the front bumper 'lip' so I'm not scraping off bumps down the road, but before that I need to 'persuade' the 3 very rusty fixings that are attaching it to the bottom of the radiator plastic. They're totally corroded in there - I may have to just cut the plastic to get them out unless I can somehow figure a way of separating them!

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Well, I've decided the AC will go. The radiator is actually in pretty bad condition and a couple of the pipes would also need replacing. The system wasn't making cold beforehand either so given the cost difference it can go.

The supercharger now serviced, though it turns out it must have been recently done because there was plenty of oil and it was similar colour to the new stuff. Replaced anyway so now waiting on more parts to rebuild. The Alternator never arrived (thanks German-based parts company) so ordered UK based, part actually in the country supplier instead. Also blanking pulley, a couple of gaskets and a new ping/knock sensor. If all goes well it'll be on the road again by Easter :cool:

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
All back in one piece! Full list of bits done:
  • Fitted BC RM suspension
  • Replaced knock sensor
  • Replaced Alternator
  • Replaced A/C compressor with blanking pulley
  • Replaced water pump
  • Replaced crank sensor O-ring
  • Replaced supercharger oil and gaskets
  • Fixed broken radiator fan (both speeds)
  • New coolant
  • New aux belt
  • New Leap Omicron scoop (primer only atm)
  • Wheel stud conversion (w/ 5mm spacers on front for 17” wheels only)
  • New Orranje sump guard
  • Cut down front air dam under front bumper (took off around 40mm)
I’ve only been out for a couple of essential journeys today – first impressions are I’m really happy with the suspension. Doesn’t feel too stiff, and speed bumps were all fine. There’s even a bump on one of the back roads that I usually slam the front end down at which didn’t happen (the air dam cut back helps I’m sure). It just feels very well settled. I can’t wait to test it on the track!

I’ve seen a few spots of coolant on the sump guard that I’ll check out tomorrow, just in case something’s weeping slightly. I’m hoping it’s just a bit of spill from filling and bleeding the system, as where they are is very sheltered from any airflow now, I’m just hoping it’s not relating to the water pump as it’ll be a pain to reach again so soon!

Now it needs a damn good clean.

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I gave it a wash today, it rewarded me with requiring a new crank damper and I didn't think to take pictures!

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I'm not sure I can justify that! Does it really give that much of an improvement over stock? £75 vs £375 is a hell of a difference. From what I can find reading up on them the only real difference is how long they last - I can't believe it would last so poorly that I'd have to replace it after a few track days surely?

Although I'm planning a remap I'm not planning on revving to silly levels (7k maybe occasionally).

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you aren’t going to rev it out to high 7s and make a lot of power then you probably don’t need one.

But look how shiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
A few hundred quid perhaps but it has value.

I have a +2% one here if interested in saving £50, it's been fitted and sat in situ, never run at all, light surface rust on bolt heads from storage but is still what it is, I'm only going to change it for a 0 later that I use on the other car, worth a mention....

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
After some thought I am going to go ATI. I'll go 0% though as I don't want to be overdriving more than I am at the moment (thanks for the offer though!).

I managed to get hold of 1320 today and have booked for cam/injectors and remap in early May :D so between now and then:
  • Fit new crank damper
  • Replace the fuel filter
  • Replace sump gasket
  • Replace chain tensioner
  • Finish painting the bonnet scoop
  • Fix the rust on the boot
  • Check for any leaks from the coolant system in case there are any I've not spotted yet
  • Improve the rev counter display
Hopefully nothing else major comes out of that lot!

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
if the sump's off I'd be swapping the end shells....

and if you're doing a crank damper swap, and the tensioner is out, I'd put a fresh a chain on maybe....

81 - 100 of 103 Posts