MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Track day was fantastic, right up until the final 10 mins when the aux belt shredded itself on track :( so riding home on the back of a truck.

Having said that, the upgrades made a hell of a difference! Didn't lose feeling in the brales and I was still getting used to how late I could brake and still make the corner, and cornering speeds were definitely faster.

Don't know yet why the belt went, will get it cleaned up and see what's what. I'm guessing maybe the tensioner failed but whatever it was was sudden, it had been pulling like a train all day!

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Sounds like you had a great day aside from the belt.

Hope it’s something simple on the belt front, I took a spare and my tool just in case.

How did you find Snetterton?

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I had a great day! Track was wet initially but dried out nicely by lunch, and the afternoon stayed dry. The semi-slicks were fantastic once I'd scrubbed them in a little, they were slippery as hell on the damp track initially! I'd not run them at all beforehand and it was like driving on ice. After my brake issues the last time I took quite a while to build confidence in those, but they worked really well and I was still braking too early into the hairpins at the end of the day. I was a bit in-between gears in a lot of places - if I was happier running higher rpms I'd have been fine but I'm not aware if it's had a remap and running a 15% pulley I'm reluctant to go much beyond 6k too often, so I was lifting off a bit before braking into a couple of corners.

I really like Snetterton, it's a pretty wide track and long too (it's around a 2.35 lap for me at the moment), pretty easy to let people pass. It does get pretty wind-swept as it's quite open but most airfield tracks have that issue! I've not driven any other tracks though so can't compare really.

There were 4 minis including mine - a couple of pre-facelift R53s and one turbo converted R53 which went like hell - 410Hp and a nice lick of flame off the throttle. He split a driveshaft boot 3/4 of the way through the day unfortunately, but a very tidy car.

More power and upgraded suspension are my plans going forward - I do want to get an uprated cam, bigger injectors and a tune so I can be more confident in hitting higher rpm without leaning out the engine. I may get a manifold with a tomcat too but only if it'll make an appreciable difference, if it helps keep temps down even without making too much more power I'd be happy doing it anyway! I should be able to get all that done before the summer.

I was really hoping to get some torque app logs but I couldn't get the app to connect properly on the day - was always fine on my old phone but a recent forced change meant I hadn't got it working beforehand, and on the day it just wouldn't connect! Possible the ELM dongle was messing around but I'll have that sorted before my next track day. I wanted to log IATs to see how much I'm heat clipping, but that'll have to wait.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Sounds like it was a great day, bet those tyres were interesting at first!

I’m on a waiting lost for brands in November as left booking it too late so I might book Snetterton instead To be sure of getting another day in before end of the year, just means leaving at 6.30am but at £109 shouldn’t really grumble haha

Makes sense to be sensible with the revs as you say, and future engine plans should tie it together nicely without being too aggressive and hindering reliability.

The logs from the app would have been interesting, hopefully will be able to sort it before the next one.

Any ideas when you’ll be hitting the track again?

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I'd love to do one more day before the end of the year, just depends a little on work as I'm super busy at the moment trying to finish a project and it'll probably be towards the end of next week before I can even look at the car again :( just depends on what I find! I'll have to try and make time one evening.

Here's what's left of the old belt...

At a minimum I need to put on a new belt, add some more coolant and change the front antiroll bar droplinks as I know the NSF one is on its last legs, and I was getting some judder under braking at the end of the Bentley Straight if I braked properly hard, which could be down to that. Nothing is poly yet but the other joints all seemed solid enough last time I checked!

A half-decent in-car camera is also on the cards, my old scratched dash cam footage isn't up to much!

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Just booked Snetterton for the 6th Dec, hoping to get a new belt on the car this evening and see what's what!

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
New belt finally on and have done a few journeys, all seems OK!

I had a minor panic on the first journey as it sounded like my tyre or bits of my old belt were flailing against the wheel arch liners. It was actually bits of rubber from the trackday peeling out of the grooves and making a hell of a noise! Some spirited roundabout work dealt with that.

Now to work on the other bits! Camera and and audio mounting the next fun bit. I'm sure I'll end up ripping half the squeaky interior out when I start hearing only that on recordings :rolleyes::)

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
I'm with you on creaks and rattles coming out on in car footage, pretty common and must be quite easy to resolve, it ruins otherwise good clips I think sometimes

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Trackday time last Sunday, went great! Car was faultless, I kept an eye on the belt and engine temps but no issues. Obviously less track time than before the clocks changed, but still got through 3/4 of a tank by the end of the day.

It was properly cold though, there was ice into Coram on the sighting laps and it only got to about 5C, but it did stay dry which was great.

I was a bit hit and miss on recording, but I've got a video of my last run at least! Had a bit of a slide into Riches at one point, but I'll improve the car control the more I go.

Definitely want to get a set of coilovers soon. When the car was sliding/on the edge it was pretty soft and bouncy, and lowering will definitely help the speed I can take through the corners as well as making the handling a little more predictable! Would love more power of course, but cam / 550's / tune will have to wait.

Over Christmas I'm hoping to sort the rust out on the boot if nothing else! I want to de-chrome the lights too, now I've done the chrome strip at the front.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Car looks great, glad to see the day passed trouble free!

Squeaky bum time at 7.18 haha held it well.

I'm the same as you, would love more power, but see it being more beneficial to sort the handling first then go for more power. Have you decided on a set of coilovers or are you just going to keep an eye out for a decent used set?

Was looking into track dates next year and think I'll be giving Snetterton a shot in Feb/Mar.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
A minor brown pants moment.... oh... my... god... :ROFLMAO: at least you stayed on the black stuff, some of us have been there ;O)

looks like you were enjoying it, interesting one handed style there!

steering looks out of alignment in the clip and obviously a light or two, I know we all run with traction off on track but not all the time, it looks like you haven't got it available even if you wanted it from the lights lit? Worth sorting it imo.

with the revs you're using/shorter shifting, if that's your style generally you could do a lot worse than just dropping in a mild cam and forget 550's etc for now, map it if you have a pulley but it won't be essential with a mild version, just recommended as always with cars used harder, only my2p ;O)

are you on standard road tyres there? 205? stock rear bar? standard geometry?

one day I'll get to Snetterton perhaps,

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
two dates in Jan/Feb at Oulton Park under £100, very tempting haha

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Trackday time last Sunday, went great! Car was faultless, I kept an eye on the belt and engine temps but no issues. Obviously less track time than before the clocks changed, but still got through 3/4 of a tank by the end of the day.

It was properly cold though, there was ice into Coram on the sighting laps and it only got to about 5C, but it did stay dry which was great.

I was a bit hit and miss on recording, but I've got a video of my last run at least! Had a bit of a slide into Riches at one point, but I'll improve the car control the more I go.

Definitely want to get a set of coilovers soon. When the car was sliding/on the edge it was pretty soft and bouncy, and lowering will definitely help the speed I can take through the corners as well as making the handling a little more predictable! Would love more power of course, but cam / 550's / tune will have to wait.

Over Christmas I'm hoping to sort the rust out on the boot if nothing else! I want to de-chrome the lights too, now I've done the chrome strip at the front.
Im with you, spend your money on handling. And brakes.
Great video.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
3/4 tank by the end of the day?? Faark, I use over two tanks :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
steering looks out of alignment in the clip and obviously a light or two, I know we all run with traction off on track but not all the time, it looks like you haven't got it available even if you wanted it from the lights lit? Worth sorting it imo.
Steering is slightly out. That'll get sorted when I do the suspension I expect! The lights are for the FR wheel speed sensor which occasionally throws a fault - iffy wire it's normally OK. The brake pad sensor on the front is also not there atm as I didn't order the right one for the R56 pads!

with the revs you're using/shorter shifting, if that's your style generally you could do a lot worse than just dropping in a mild cam and forget 550's etc for now, map it if you have a pulley but it won't be essential with a mild version, just recommended as always with cars used harder, only my2p ;O)
I'm doing that partly because I don't want to run lean with the pulley, and also because I shredded the aux belt last time I was just being careful on the engine. I'm tempted to run a cam anyway as it's not a fortune and I'd be happy to do it myself, would a catcam 469 be OK without a remap? That's what I was initially thinking of.

are you on standard road tyres there? 205? stock rear bar? standard geometry?
I've got silverline front camber plates adjusted for 3/4 of the negative camber they offer. The rest of the suspension is standard for the chilli pack, so slightly stiffer than totally standard I think? All other suspension is standard (bars, bushes, etc.). I've not had any alignment done yet.
Tyres are Nankang NS-2R 205/45r16 on X-lite R84 wheels.

I'm the same as you, would love more power, but see it being more beneficial to sort the handling first then go for more power. Have you decided on a set of coilovers or are you just going to keep an eye out for a decent used set?
Suspension-wise I'm thinking BC RM with rear RCA's, just need to wait a month or two until I can justify it!

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Here's a lap from the October trackday when there was a lot more grip, and I was going up to 6.4-6.5k rather than 6:

Edited dashcam footage though and a cheap one at that!

41 - 60 of 103 Posts