MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've been doing even more reading up on brakes - result being I've ordered some R53 JCW / R56S calipers/hangers, nitrac disks and carbotech pads - should arrive in the next 2-3 weeks, fingers crossed before the 22nd so I can fit them before the track evening :unsure: I'd love a bbk but at this stage I think I'd be better off buying a set of NS-2R's and a few more track days for the difference :cool:

Meanwhile I've got the front off the car to look at some brake ducting and positioning an IR sensor to do some testing with. I also noticed some corrosion on my hard brake lines to the front brakes so I've ordered some pipe, flaring kit, etc. to sort that out! Don't want to be worrying about that going pop.

Other than that I'm about 60% of the way through the Hobo thread :geek: and making space in the garage. On the up-side I found my old beer fridge while tidying so that'll come in handy in this heat!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good job on getting your first track day in, glad to see the car behaved well.

I’m also looking into brakes and fancy some 4pots, the Budweg JCW style brakes look like great value and I am also swaying towards these.

Just need to factor wheel clearance into what you decide to go for.

Edit : Scrap that, somehow missed your last post.

I’d be interested to know swayed your decision on the brakes in the end?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’d be interested to know swayed your decision on the brakes in the end?
A couple of things really - I saw more posts about the 4 pots overheating that the R56S ones with melting dust seals being particularly mentioned, and they would be around £250 more expensive factoring in the discs and pads. I'm also considering running 16's later on and It'd restrict choice on that as they're pretty big. Refurb costs are likely to be lower too but that's a minor thing really.

It wasn't an easy decision though! It may be more people are pushing the 4 pots harder than the R56S brakes so that may account for the extra complaints of overheating.

I do prefer the look of the bigger calipers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Latest spotted issue: corroded pipe into the clutch slave cylinder. Pipe and cylinder ordered :rolleyes:

Brake pipes to the rear seem fine though so that's something!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good spot, clutch slave cylinder problems look to be the on trend thing in the project threads at the moment haha

Thanks for your feedback on the brakes, definitely makes sense to go with the R56s ones particularly if you’ll be swapping to a smaller wheel later down the line and don’t want to restrict your choices too much.

Got some second hand Budwegs on the way, they came up on eBay so saw it as a sign!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah the slave cylinder thing seems to be catching! If only I'd been sent the new one I ordered rather than a washer pump :LOL: but I'm sure I'll get it in time to fit it when I need to. I won't be able to get the car back on the road until the new pipe for the brakes turns up, and that's not been dispatched yet. Seems to make sense to do all the hydraulic stuff at once.

I'm sure the 4 pots will be great! Did well to spot those I don't expect they come up that often.

Tomorrow I should get some metalwork delivered so I can start playing with brake ducts soon.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts