MiniTorque.com banner
241 - 260 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
I've booked on another track day in June at Snetterton, hopefully driving standards won't be an issue :) seriously though, they've very rarely been an issue at any day I've been to.

I've got my spare crash bar so hoping to modify that over the next week, and also make mods to the front bumper. Hopefully it'll look OK, I think it'll look great but we'll see! The crash bar will be track only but I'll still be keeping the vast majority of its strength. I'm playing with 3d printing some ducting tubes too but if they end up looking silly I'll just bin them :LOL:

I may pick up a set of Mintex 1144's for the rear just in case the Brembo pads disintegrate further!

I'm also planning on picking up a bucket seat in early June - probably driving over to the GSM Performance showroom and trying a few for size, unless I find somewhere more local. The idea is this'll become the passenger seat once I get a roll cage so it's not critical to be amazing, but needs to:
  • work with a standard seat belt (as well as a harness, ideally).
  • be able to mount very low in the car.
  • Fixed I think, but would be open to reclining.
  • Not cost the earth! Sub-£500 including mounting at the most.
  • Can require removing door card/interior mods if needed.
If anyone has any seat suggestions I'm all ears (y)

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Well the bucket seat idea has pushed to July mainly because I can't get to the showroom until then, so for now it's concentrating on cooling!

This'll be in several phases, but the first of two that I can use on the road is now done - basically removing the middle grill and replacing with aluminium mesh. That exposes the row of holes in the crash bar, so to help flow through that I've printed a load of small tubes and slotted them through the front and back holes, meaning there's much less obstruction to getting air to that bit of the radiator.

I've only had one decent journey with them but I've already seen a fly or two on the rad directly behind the tubes, so they're definitely letting air through! Difficult to say on the road how much of a difference it makes, but IATs cruising at 60 were normally between 2 and 3C above ambient and oil and coolant solid at 81C (stat is an 82C).

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Just realised I didn't write up the last track day! It was 29C and roasting, and the car didn't like it much :LOL:

The mods to the front crash bar helped IATs as they were roughly the same as the last track day, but with ambient temp around 10C higher, so I'm happy with that.

What was still not really better was coolant. I've got a new Nissens rad on order (first one I bought and fitted leaked before it left the garage unfortunately) and an evening track day next week, and if that doesn't help enough then I'll be cutting the bonnet.

Oil cooler I'm still not sure on - I put in a temporary flap under the car to help pull air past the sump which did help with temps a bit but I can't really judge oil cooling until the water cooling's been sorted.

Other things are lowering another 15mm and fitting some anti-rattle gubbins to the rear calipers to stope the pads driving me mad.

Some pics to follow soon!

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
I had a track evening earlier in the month to test my new radiator and how it would change the cooling issues I've been having. Safe to say they are all sorted!

Second Nissens rad has been fine - installed no problem, bled the system and did a 100 mile test run which was all fine. I also installed the anti rattle shims to the rear pads that have helped a lot. You can still hear them clicking on in-car recording but they're not noticeable above other noise in the car from the drivers seat.

On the track it was obvious pretty quickly that things were better. I don't think I had coolant over 85C on the track the entire time, and it was 22C so even in 30C I can't see it being an issue. Oil also was fine, never over 105C which is pretty perfect. I'll keep an eye on it on a hot day but definitely nowhere near what it was before.

Previously I'd only ever been able to do 2 or 3 quick laps before the temps were getting silly (oil temp 115C+, coolant temp 100C+ and both rising). Now I think I managed 7 quick laps before deciding to come back in. True they were slightly easy on the car as I was running into traffic a lot (the usual quick in a line but not in corners, and not lifting to let me by) but even so the car was amazing compared to any other time I've had it. Doing a 27 minute session made such a difference!

IATs were lower too, never over 50C.

Also got my best lap down by a second and a half!

Next day is 16th August at Snetterton again, then maybe Blyton in September and hoping to do an 'away' track in October (Cadwell, Donington, Bedford, Brands...)

One new purchase - I decided to get a bucket seat which I picked up last week along with a 'correct for the car' side brackets that should bolt to the floor pan. My foot will they! Going through the process of trying to get it sorted but it's painfully slow, I just want to get it in and drive! The seat is really nice just no idea atm when I'll actually be able to use it :(

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Awesome, glad the cooling issues are sorted and sounds like you’re absolutely flying now.
Carrying some serious speed into turn 1 and 120 on the straights is nice!

Look forward to seeing the new seat you’ve gone for.

16th @ Snet will be good, hopefully get some decent time on track.

I’m back there again in September, no plans for October as may call it a day for the year after Sept. But if you do brands give me a shout!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had a track evening earlier in the month to test my new radiator and how it would change the cooling issues I've been having. Safe to say they are all sorted!

Second Nissens rad has been fine - installed no problem, bled the system and did a 100 mile test run which was all fine. I also installed the anti rattle shims to the rear pads that have helped a lot. You can still hear them clicking on in-car recording but they're not noticeable above other noise in the car from the drivers seat.

On the track it was obvious pretty quickly that things were better. I don't think I had coolant over 85C on the track the entire time, and it was 22C so even in 30C I can't see it being an issue. Oil also was fine, never over 105C which is pretty perfect. I'll keep an eye on it on a hot day but definitely nowhere near what it was before.

Previously I'd only ever been able to do 2 or 3 quick laps before the temps were getting silly (oil temp 115C+, coolant temp 100C+ and both rising). Now I think I managed 7 quick laps before deciding to come back in. True they were slightly easy on the car as I was running into traffic a lot (the usual quick in a line but not in corners, and not lifting to let me by) but even so the car was amazing compared to any other time I've had it. Doing a 27 minute session made such a difference!

IATs were lower too, never over 50C.

Also got my best lap down by a second and a half!

Next day is 16th August at Snetterton again, then maybe Blyton in September and hoping to do an 'away' track in October (Cadwell, Donington, Bedford, Brands...)

One new purchase - I decided to get a bucket seat which I picked up last week along with a 'correct for the car' side brackets that should bolt to the floor pan. My foot will they! Going through the process of trying to get it sorted but it's painfully slow, I just want to get it in and drive! The seat is really nice just no idea atm when I'll actually be able to use it :(
Just watching your speed at certain places on the track and wondered what bhp your mini is running as it acceleration is rapid.

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
It's around 200whp but I don't have an exact figure due to clutch slipping issues when I last visited the dyno - they turned the load down so it didn't slip, then estimated what it'd make on full load.

Also, the speed on the digital display is about 4% overreading as I've got 16" wheels on the track.

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Awesome, glad the cooling issues are sorted and sounds like you’re absolutely flying now.
Carrying some serious speed into turn 1 and 120 on the straights is nice!

Look forward to seeing the new seat you’ve gone for.

16th @ Snet will be good, hopefully get some decent time on track.

I’m back there again in September, no plans for October as may call it a day for the year after Sept. But if you do brands give me a shout!
Yeah I'm looking forward to the 16th! I'm hoping to have some extra brake cooling as well which will be a final hurrah attempt to try and cope with the braking demands of longer runs. If it doesn't work out I'll be going for a proper BBK over the winter (330x28 or similar).

I'm definitely not really getting 120-odd on the straights but I'm getting close - I'm not planning any more power mods though, just removing weight over time. I will be going back to 1320 at some point though and check my AFR is definitely OK, as well as tweak the map now I'm not getting any clutch issues.

I'm also keeping half an eye out for some 17" rims to put some softer rubber on (AR1, direnza, etc.) just to see how much faster the car could go with better tyres that more represent a race tyre.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It's around 200whp but I don't have an exact figure due to clutch slipping issues when I last visited the dyno - they turned the load down so it didn't slip, then estimated what it'd make on full load.

Also, the speed on the digital display is about 4% overreading as I've got 16" wheels on the track.
Cheers, I’ve got to the limit of what my track car (non Mini) will give in terms of acceleration without ploughing more money in than I want to.

Im sure I can shave off more lap time in certain corners round at Snetterton, but I want to remain well within my limits.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Yeah I'm looking forward to the 16th! I'm hoping to have some extra brake cooling as well which will be a final hurrah attempt to try and cope with the braking demands of longer runs. If it doesn't work out I'll be going for a proper BBK over the winter (330x28 or similar).

I'm definitely not really getting 120-odd on the straights but I'm getting close - I'm not planning any more power mods though, just removing weight over time. I will be going back to 1320 at some point though and check my AFR is definitely OK, as well as tweak the map now I'm not getting any clutch issues.

I'm also keeping half an eye out for some 17" rims to put some softer rubber on (AR1, direnza, etc.) just to see how much faster the car could go with better tyres that more represent a race tyre.
Not too far off, think i was only hitting 105 on them, but carrying significantly less speed through the corner leading into them, particularly the back straight. Hopefully rectify that on the 16th.

Sensible, it's definitely at a decent, reliable power. Better to stick with that and keep enjoying it than trying to wring every last bit out of it imo.

There are some Team Dynamics 1.2's in black very near me, a guy on FB is breaking his car. I'm half thinking about them as tyres have plenty of rubber left but already taking the Pro Alloy cooler from him. I'll send you the link, if there's anything you want from him I'm happy to pick up and bring to Snet.

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Thanks!

My brain is telling me to run the NS2Rs to the canvas and continue improving, and I probably ought to do that :) if it was just the wheels I'd probably be more tempted depending on price - I know I'm going to need 17" lighter weight rims at some point.

I had a few times last track day where the brakes were suffering - generally around the second hairpin because it's the second big stop in 3 corners, and also a little at the end of the Bentley straight into Brundle. I've already got brake cooling, but the way I've got it going into the wheel arch isn't great for airflow as there's a bit of an inner flange that sticks out at 90 degrees just where it needs to flow nicely. There's a kit from JDH Customs I'm going to give a go to improve that, and I'm going to try and vent the wheel arch in some way to help lower the air pressure and get more air through as well. If I was feeling brave I would remove both washer bottles and cut the panels to have massive vents, but I'll probably try and do something more subtle with the wheel arch liner (without removing it).

If that doesn't solve the issues, then I'll be forced to go BBK as there are no further options I can think of - I don't fancy the price of them but stopping reliably is the most important part of the car really.

I had quite a panic right at the end of the last run I did - they threw a red flag just as I was in Coram on a hot lap, so I had to come straight in the pits. When I got out of the car there was smoke pouring off the brakes on both sides and I quickly reversed out the garage and cruised around the car park for 5 minutes hoping there was no damage, which thankfully there wasn't. It certainly highlighted the need for a cooldown lap though! :oops:

Still no resolution on the seat. I can't see how the runners would ever work so I'm going to have to trawl the internet for some that should actually fit :(

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
The seat I bought is a Mirco RTS. The seat itself is super comfortable. I'm glad I tried a few as so many were too narrow!

The side mounts unfortunately only reduce the floor mounting points to around 405mm apart, when it needs to be 395mm roughly to actually bolt to the floor at the front.

If anyone happens to know of a set of side mounts that would work please let me know!

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·

I'm hoping these might fit - if I need to trim them to get them perfect that's fine as long as they actually bolt to the floor.

Brake cooling ordered which should arrive late next week.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,451 Posts

I'm hoping these might fit - if I need to trim them to get them perfect that's fine as long as they actually bolt to the floor.

Brake cooling ordered which should arrive late next week.
perhaps take a look at the Race Safety Accessories FIA alloy adjustable ones before committing ;O)

Reactions: Mysticarl

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dont you need one of something like this to mount a race seat to existing mounting holes:
and then the seat side brackets mount to that.

Hope that makes sense and I havent misread/mis-interpreted the photos

241 - 260 of 269 Posts