MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After loving MINIs for years, I was lucky enough to get a facelift Pure Silver 2005 R50 One 2 years ago for my 17th birthday.

I never intended to modify the car at all, I wanted the car to look like it came out the factory.

I slowly started changing my mind, changing a few little things like adding stripes, spotlights, Aero spoiler.

Here's a picture of how the car looked when I got it:

I won't add lots of photos, as the changes aren't totally significant, here's the way it looks (without Aero front bumper):

I came across a brand new Pure Silver Aero bumper with grilles last week for 140 notes, had to have it. Massive improvement over the stock R50 bumper! A few photos from a nice drive over the North Yorkshire Moors we had on Sunday:

Lucky to have these kind of roads 20 minutes from home.

Nothing engine/performance wise other than a Scorpion cat back exhaust due to impossible insurance quotes at 19.

Mods so far in order:
Black roof
Chili Red mirror caps
Cades bonnet/bumper grilles
Clear side repeaters
Shelby stripes (need to come off)
Aero spoiler - now replaced with GP Replica Wing (JP prototype wing) bought from Loz.
Gloss black spotlights
Team Dynamics Tornado wheels.
Scorpion non resonated cat back exhaust
Dechromed belt line
Dechromed headlight rings (carbon)
Dechromed boot handle (carbon)
Black MINI front badge
JCW carbon dash
Alcantara handbrake & gear gaiters.
Carbon speedo/rev counter rings
Carbon downtubes
Rear wiper delete
Lowered approx. 40mm (Koni springs - can't afford coilovers and the stock R50 wheel gap was slowly killing me)
Cooper S side skirts
Debadged
Carbon wrapped door handles
Aero front bumper.

Unwanted mods:
New clutch
New gearbox
New power steering pump
New engine

:crying:

On the lookout for Aero skirts as I think they'd hugely change the look again as the bumper has done.

I would like the car lower, much lower, but speedbumps on my daily journeys are already a problem, splitter is scraping several times a day and has already started to crack.

Let me know what you all think! I'm already preparing for the criticism flooding in :lol:::getcoat::

·
MT's Naughty Boy
6,852 Posts
Wheelgap, Random Orange Mirrors, Extra Chrome, Spotlights, Destripe/New Stripe, black mutihole wheels, Panda Eyes..

Needs some work.

All I'll say is..

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheelgap, Random Orange Mirrors, Extra Chrome, Spotlights, Destripe/New Stripe, black mutihole wheels, Panda Eyes..

Needs some work.

All I'll say is..

You obviously didn't read what I'd typed, I hate my wheelgap, but it isn't possible to go lower due to where and the journeys I have to do every day to uni.

Mirrors are Chili Red and I like the look, whether you like it or not they're not 'random' - Red pinstripes on stripe, red on wheels.
There is no extra chrome?
Spotlights probably should go - agreed.
I need to get rid of the stripes too, I got them along with the spots when I was 17 and had strange ideas.
I was going to joey the front facelifts, but I'll be getting rid of the car in the next year and it's just another thing I can't be bothered having to do i.e. find original lights to swap.

I'd love mine to look like that photo, wheelgap isn't possible. However, I will seriously think about colour coding my grille and headlights as on Pure Silver I think it looks fucking awesome.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Cars looking good, a few little mods an it will looking better, cc headlight rings, cc boot handle, remove the stripe, S rear bumper, and it will be on the way to looking really good, good to see antoher r50, as for lows, trim the bottom of the aero bumper, mine doesnt catch on speed bumps now, and im nice and low, but its coming along nicely

·
MT's Naughty Boy
6,852 Posts
You obviously didn't read what I'd typed, I hate my wheelgap, but it isn't possible to go lower due to where and the journeys I have to do every day to uni.
Yeah I read what you said.

Let me know what you all think!
Obviously you didn't mean it otherwise you wouldn't be filling in a hurt feelings report right now.

I live in the middle of a street with two of the largest speedbumps in the world on either end of it, so any journey I take involves a scrape or two, that's life.

You've been around long enough to know the score Olly :p

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I read what you said.

Obviously you didn't mean it otherwise you wouldn't be filling in a hurt feelings report right now.

I live in the middle of a street with two of the largest speedbumps in the world on either end of it, so any journey I take involves a scrape or two, that's life.

You've been around long enough to know the score Olly :p
Haha, you have a point, though it's not just scraping, the splitter has cracked and I can't afford a new bumper so can't afford to have it lower. I also can't afford coilovers at the moment ::getcoat::

Stripes are coming off today :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cars looking good, a few little mods an it will looking better, cc headlight rings, cc boot handle, remove the stripe, S rear bumper, and it will be on the way to looking really good, good to see antoher r50, as for lows, trim the bottom of the aero bumper, mine doesnt catch on speed bumps now, and im nice and low, but its coming along nicely
Joe, would would you be able to upload a picture of the trimmed bumper mate?

I did think about that, the splitter seems way too big and such an inconvenience, as I said to eViL, the angle between the splitter and the bumper, that's cracked so I'm nervous to go lower as I don't want to crack the whole bumper.

A picture would be great!

As for the rear bumper, I agree, just need to find one! Think I'd also entertain an Aero bumper. I'm only going to get something if it's already PS, can't afford to get stuff sprayed at the minute, everything I'm spending on the car is coming out my student loan already haha!

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It needs some work but it's getting there. Where the fuck did you get an aero front for £140? Need one in my life!
The wonderful place that is gumtree :thumbup:

People often have no clue on gumtree, the guy I bought it off thought it was a Cooper bumper :w00t:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Lucky find

After S bumpers for mine (pure silver cooper).

However, don't have the funds to get them sprayed so want some PS ones.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'd love mine to look like that photo, wheelgap isn't possible. However, I will seriously think about colour coding my grille and headlights as on Pure Silver I think it looks fucking awesome.
Man up. That R50 is mine, and I just drove it (very hard) all over Scotland (2000 miles) at that ride height, with just minor scraping. :tongue_smilie:

Reactions: K451M

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, maybe, but the area I live in, the council likes to install 4 foot high speed bumps. Also, it's already scraping enough getting on the drive.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts