MiniTorque.com banner

541 - 560 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #548
What better way to celebrate my 1000th post on here than by telling you guys a little story about my W11-conversion… :lol: I’m a little hungover and translated this from the Dutch version, but here goes:

Almost a year ago I was planning on replacing the Midlands in my Cooper by a Getrag 6-speed. My MINI-guy told me that with all the work involved I might as well do the engine at the same point. Valid point, but I was like oh we’ll see. Until I was sitting in the sun somewhere in may and he sent me pic of car he just bought that had been totalled. If I’d be interested in the engine+gearbox etc?

Donor by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

I had my doubts, but my g/f told me to go for it! :D So that’s what I did, and I had a look at the donor. Lots of sand from it’s encounter with a ditch (or from the previous owners vagina), but quite fresh with 130,000km and had the clutch done by my MINI-guy just 10,000km ago.

My plan was to start with the stock engine for a while, but my MINI-guy pointed out that the pulley is way easier to swap while the engine is out. Ok, go ahead, I ordered some stuff from 1320Mini: Kavs 17% pulley, shorter belt, colder plugs and got a GRS Motorsport Version intercooler from al-coops.

The Orranje stealth hybrid air box wasn’t yet available at the time, so I made myself per the excellent DIY somewhere on here. I even went to B&Q during our Scotland road trip to get the correct PVC pipes. :lol:

Go Faster Goodies by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

GRS Motorsport Version by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Hybrid Airbox by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Engine out of the donor:

Stripping The Donor by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Stripping The Donor by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Stripped by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

W11 by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Parts Ready To Go by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Pulley installed:

Kavs 17% Installed by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

I thought it would be a good idea to test 0-100 with the old engine. That resulted with the Midlands stuck in 2nd… :blushing: so I had the car picked up:

Transport by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

My MINI-guy can’t sit still, so this is what the car looked like that same evening:

That incident also meant I had to travel to Enschede by train. It was awefull:

I Hate Trains by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

As I arrived the old engine was almost removed:

There was Scottish gravel everywhere:

Scottish Gravel by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

New engine:

New Heart by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

GRS intercooler:

Mounted Up by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Getrag 6-Speed by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Gearbox Oil by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Spent the night in a small hotel in Gronau:

Hotel by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #549
And continued the next morning:

Second Day by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

My MINI-guy already soldered all the wiring:

Rewired by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Hybrid Airbox by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

New Engine by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Some welding for the crash bar:

Welding by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Crash bar installed:

Fitting The Crashbar by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Halfway Done by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Swapped the keys:

Key Modding by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

A Varley Red Top 25 just fits in the small bin under the Cooper turn floor:

Battery by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

The engine started on our first try:

Bumper and wheels:

Almost Ready by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Bonnet from the donor on my car:

S-Bonnet by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Wheels:

Almost Done by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

And that’s all, conversion wise… First test drive and everything seemed alright… just a lot faster. :lol: No idea what it’s doing power wise, but should something like 200bhp at the crank, and that’s kinda how it feels.

All Done by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Came home, took my g/f for a quick spin and washed the car (uh-huh!):

Clean! by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

#aintcare by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

I planned to keep it of the internet until it was SVA approved, because you never know. It would be just a formality, a couple of weeks later… but things went a little different. Work took of in a huge way, so I didn’t have time for anything else. I drove over 25,000km in just 6 months, and the conversion never had a hick-up. Most of that distance was done on the motorwayy in 6th doing 130-140km/h.

[**SKIP HALF A YEAR**]

I bought my Volvo and dropped of the MINI with my MINI-guy in Enschede. Oil, spark plugs, a wheel bearing, fresh MOT, etc. So last friday I went there to finally have the car approved.

C-c-c-c-combo Spot by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

The tester didn’t have clue, but a phone call later everything was sorted and it’s now official. :)

RDW by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Badge tuning:

Cooper hybrid by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

My MINI-guy deserved this:

ASE Motorsport by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #554
The problem with all extra power is: you get used to it way too quickly... :( The first couple of days were mental, so much more power in the car that I had driven for over 2 years with 115hp. But I still like the way it feels: lots of torque and willing to rev! I've been in lots of fast cars thanks to my job, but a Gen1 MINI still feels great. I drove it to the SVA location friday after not having driven it for the last 1.5 month and immediately loved the way it feels again! :cools:

As soon as we came back from the inspection we started modding again. Out with the rear seats (I don't have friends anyway) and in with the seat delete + rear strut:

Rear Seat Delete by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

The seat belts will be removed as well, but we didn't have time for those just now. More to come! :wink:

·
Bugger
25,313 Posts
The Play Mini pipe will become restrictive on the Cooper S as its only a 2' pipe. The best all option was always the Cooper Borla even for the S with the 2.25 id pipe.

541 - 560 of 949 Posts