MiniTorque.com banner

281 - 300 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Just like every R50-owner I dreamt of doing a 6-speed-swap. I've long decided that I want to keep this car as long as possible, and as monthly costs are low and my g/f agrees with me, I have no problem doing economically unreasonable stuff. :D

The Midlands is gonna go at some point, and DIY'ing a Getrag in will come to comparable costs as having the Midland refurbished over here. I recently got offered a facelift-Getrag-6 with LSD, to be had somewhere early 2013.

Of course I've read the fixing-the-weak-link-PDF, but the info on the gear ratios is kinda sparse. So I delved a little deeper and made some tables/graphs, going on 205/40-17 tires and a max rpm of 7000:

Midlands 5-speed:

Getrag 6-speed facelift:

As graphs:

Compared:

First is a tiny bit longer, second a tiny bit shorter and the rest is a lot shorter, apart from sixth of course. Doing 140km/h (87mph) it'll do about 300rpm less, not too bad considering I'm doing ~4000rpm now... and that's most of my driving. Apart from that I'll only have to this once and will be prepared for a future W11-conversion. :cool:

Now it's just a matter of time and money... :lol:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
I'd have to look that up when I'm home, they're going on my KW V1.

Which end links are they, look beefy :)
They're Vmax, supposed to be quite decent from what I've read on other forums (they're the same for Opel/VW/etc). Oh, and I paid just €42 per set from Germany, figured I'd give it a shot at that price... :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
I couldn't see shit with the original bulb, so for a few bucks I got this LED bulb from DealExtreme:

Much better, just ordered something similar for the foot wells and the trunk. :cool:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Right, the center caps, those were still missing. After plastidipping the wheels, I put them back on a wheel tree, until a leg snapped and it fell over. The center caps were in there as well, with 3 of them broken as a result. New ones are €15 a piece, so I took the center caps of the S-spokes... however those are worn-down fakes:

Wheel Center Caps by MartijnKoevoets, on Flickr

Got some decals on Ebay:

Done... :lol:

-----

In other news, had to park the MINI elsewhere due to construction work:

But worth it, driving in/out got a lot easier:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #299