MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Think I made a thread about my car some time ago.... Must have disappeared. Anyway perfect opportunity to re-introduce it I guess!

This is actually my second Mini GP2. I purchased my first one back in 2014 as a replacement for my BMW M135i... I kept the GP for around 6 months (needed monies to start a new business). It was a tough call to make as I absolutely loved the thing. Anyway I told myself that I myself that when the time was right; I'd bag another one!

Jump forward 2 years and I came across this at Romans International -

https://www.romansinternational.com/used-vehicle-details/Mini-JCW-U7470/

Couple weeks later it mine!

The car has undergone a number of changes since I purchased it -

• Rear roll cage
  • Manic remap
  • Airtec intercooler
  • And more..
I've also taken the car to a number of tracks this year -

The plan going forward is just to continue to maintain the car and have fun. Hoping to go Bedford in a couple weeks... Need to pay Lohen a visit first - Have a small list of things to sort out first.

Some on track footage -

https://youtu.be/NqSSmKf0rKY

https://youtu.be/VB8ZmtM4dz0

https://youtu.be/HveJzy-Qlsw

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like it's been a fun year :thumbup1:

I hope wheels is on the list!
Have always liked the ATS DTC wheels.. And there is a certain member on here sporting a nice set of BBS rims that I've always admired. So will see.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's more of a part time Queen. Doesn't really get used often. More of a day off and trackday toy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been a while since my last update.

Thanks to work and travelling the car hasn't seen much daylight or action. It's scheduled to see the good people over at Lohen for some maintenance work.

After that I'll be putting it up for sale (have yet to decide whether I'll return it to its standard form). Reasons for selling.... I love the car to bits. And if I had the space. I'd keep it forever. However, I don't have the space and would like to try something different and as (if not more) interesting and exciting than the Mini.

I've test driven a few Exige Sport 350s now. And I'm almost certain it'll be the car that replaces the Mini GP!

Anyone looking for a GP2?

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
I'd be happy to see an Exige on the forum but hopefully the GP2 will also find a home here. I think we need a cage too...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Been a while since my last update.

Thanks to work and travelling the car hasn't seen much daylight or action. It's scheduled to see the good people over at Lohen for some maintenance work.

After that I'll be putting it up for sale (have yet to decide whether I'll return it to its standard form). Reasons for selling.... I love the car to bits. And if I had the space. I'd keep it forever. However, I don't have the space and would like to try something different and as (if not more) interesting and exciting than the Mini.

I've test driven a few Exige Sport 350s now. And I'm almost certain it'll be the car that replaces the Mini GP!

Anyone looking for a GP2?
without sounding like a spoilsport, speak to Chrispy on here about the sport 350s.

his bro owns one and I think hes had 3 months use out of twelve. awfully made things that need rebuilds constantly.

in addition a trackday friend has bought one, and it lasted 300 miles before eating itself.

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
Keep it. When you've sold a car once and missed it so much you find another, especially a nice one, it should be a keeper surely?

If I had the money for another Mini, the GP2 it would be, as an additional car though.

If you want it more exciting maybe put a lowered final drive in it, use the replacement for displacement ;O)

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,629 Posts
Keep it. When you've sold a car once and missed it so much you find another, especially a nice one, it should be a keeper surely?

If I had the money for another Mini, the GP2 it would be, as an additional car though.

If you want it more exciting maybe put a lowered final drive in it, use the replacement for displacement ;O)
Expand on this point....:tongue_smilie:
I'd like to make my jcw r59 slightly more exciting.....and as a clutch Change is also due soon, (amongst other things) it might be a good time to consider it, although understanding the engineering I'm not aware of anyone having done it on a r56 road car ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Still in two minds. Especially after driving it back yesterday... I really have no idea what I'm going to do.

I'm thinking about playing the lotto tonight. If I win I'll just keep this and then bag the Sport 350 :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
GT3RS for me, 996 white/blue, thought I could have it too some years back, even bought my plate X 3RS X which ended up on my Audi haha.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I've made my R53 for nearly 16 years, this side of a Cayman GT4 or a 996 GT3 theres nothing that would get me out of a Mini.
Tbh I have come to the same conclusion, every time I think about selling up and getting something bigger I take it for a drive and my mind gets changed lol

·
Bugger
25,314 Posts
Tbh I have come to the same conclusion, every time I think about selling up and getting something bigger I take it for a drive and my mind gets changed lol
I've driven a few things that my chums have considered as their next steps (Fast 1 series, S3's, GTI's / Golf R's, M3's and the like), and while capable they are not what a can for fun should be, they are all incredible feats of engineering and design, however for me they serve no purpose.

They all have too many draw backs over the mini (high purchase price / insane maintenance costs / warranty issues) and none of them give that much practicality over the mini, I don't have kids, my other half has a sensible car as you couldn't fit our dog in any of the other hatch options anyway. My view is mini for fun and I'm getting a pick up truck this year as for the other stuff I do I need that level of practical.

Combine that with the fact minis are dirt cheap to run next to most cars, even an engine re-fresh for Millsy would be less than a basic annual service on some of the M stuff. I have no mind to sink 1000's into a car thats only a bit faster in the real world and much more expensive to run.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I've driven a few things that my chums have considered as their next steps (Fast 1 series, S3's, GTI's / Golf R's, M3's and the like), and while capable they are not what a can for fun should be, they are all incredible feats of engineering and design, however for me they serve no purpose.

They all have too many draw backs over the mini (high purchase price / insane maintenance costs / warranty issues) and none of them give that much practicality over the mini, I don't have kids, my other half has a sensible car as you couldn't fit our dog in any of the other hatch options anyway. My view is mini for fun and I'm getting a pick up truck this year as for the other stuff I do I need that level of practical.

Combine that with the fact minis are dirt cheap to run next to most cars, even an engine re-fresh for Millsy would be less than a basic annual service on some of the M stuff. I have no mind to sink 1000's into a car thats only a bit faster in the real world and much more expensive to run.
Couldn't of said it better myself, only wished I realised this before I sold my R53 for the E92 m3, but hey you live from your mistakes!
On another note I've dug out those mirror covers for you and will try and get them sent this week!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts