MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, went to swap out my intake hose this afternoon for a replacement silicone hose.

It connects at the air box and turbo without any problems, just trying to connect the breather part to the engine won’t go on. Hose is an mtc silicone hose going on to an n18 cooper s. It’s like there’s an adapter in the original hose that should come out but just spins.

Any ideas as the hose is split at the joint by the turbo and has been weeping oil vapour

I’ve looked online and there’s no obvious answer even on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s exactly where mine has gone!!

How much did you need to cut off for the hose to slip on?

·
Registered
2011 R56 N18 Mini Cooper S - 2012 R56 N16 Mini One
44 Posts
I cut the old hose completely off the adaptor.
Removed the spring clip and cut the old hose off with a stanley knife.
The new hose then just slips onto the end of the adaptor which has ridges on it to ensure a snug fit.
You can reuse the old spring clip or replace it with a jubilee clip as I have done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had been repaired by the previous owner but the glue had gone chrystaline and wasn't sealing.
Was getting an occasional smell of hot oil in the car when driven hard which is what got me poking around under the bonnet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine has come away in 2 pieces, main part and breather, appears to have been sealed up at some at the union for the turbo, the area you circled in your picture.

So if I trim the breather pipe a couple of inches down that should fit into the silicone hose and fix on to the engine then?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nope.
You need to completely remove all of the old breather hose from the connector at the valve cover.
The connector comes out of the valve cover by squeezing the rim and sliding it out. Its kind of like the lock on a child proof bottle.
Then cut the old breather hose free, attach your new hose to the connector and slide back into valve cover.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I suppose you could do it that way but not sure how reliable the joint between the 2 pipes would be?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your help, I’ve been able to get the breather off by pressing the 2 tabs together, so how do I remove that part and how far down if I need to cut it

I’ve moved the spring clip down from the top but I can’t remove the bit that has the squishy tabs out which I’m guessing is what I need to insert in to the silicone hose to resecure the silicone hose on to the engine

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This is how bad the original hose is!!

Excuse the state of my engine, will be cleaned ready for the brooklands meet

·
Registered
44 Posts
Slide the spring clip further down the pipe until it comes off the bulgy bit. Then cut the hose from the bottom of the bulgy bit to the end.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Cut along dotted line.
I think the connector inside is copper or something so dont worry about cutting into it too much.
I used a stanley knife with a fresh blade and ran it along the same line a few times.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All fitted today, a small slit in the original hose and out popped the clip, mine was made of plastic.

Seems to be holding fine but I will get a hose clip, any idea of the size you used?

·
Registered
44 Posts
They came with the new hose so dont know what size they are.
Spring clip looks solid though.
like the strut brace :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just used the original hose clamps as the fitted, original spring clip wouldn’t go over the silicone hose, I’ll have to have a measure up!!

Strut brace was an eBay special, was only £60 and mirrors the jcw one

·
Registered
44 Posts
Will have to keep my eye on fleabay, see if I can pick one up.
I see you have had a bit of a clean up too. Very nice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good job. Looks mint.
Did you notice a big change in handling/feel when you first fitted the strut brace?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My wife said no

I did, but my suspension is totally stock. We’ve been lucky enough to have one piece of good tarmac round my way and it’s twisty and I did feel that it held on better and I was able to get on the power sooner.

If nothing else it’s shiny!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts