MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a bit minging. Whatever happens next we are better off with Kelsey out of the picture. That leaves the question, what's going to be the big show of 2020?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mini in the park 2019 was my first experience of a dedicated mini show, enjoyed the day so a shame it’s not on this year

as for other shows anyone going to the indoor one in Stafford in a couple of weeks, mini fair 2020, only down the road for me so I recon it’s worth a visit

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm based down south but hoping to come along to a mini meet or two this year, is anyone going to the Goodwood Mini takeover?

·
Resident Gobshite
4,140 Posts
I'm based down south but hoping to come along to a mini meet or two this year, is anyone going to the Goodwood Mini takeover?
MINIs take over goodwood isn’t happening this year. Still looking for funding, All my money went into the house so don’t have the cash for it anymore.

·
Resident Gobshite
4,140 Posts
Ahh that's annoying, thoguht it was going, guess it's the local car ricer meets for me then :(
Theres another mini meet at Goodwood at some point this year. Similar logo. No track action though. Minis at Goodwood.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ahh might go to that one then, my Mini is definitely not track ready yet, just go over the heating matrix and coolant leak issue, will be track ready summer 2021 definitely

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
it'd be good if the mini groups somehow got together or just one to run something for Mini's at a track over a weekend that wasn't such a rip off for track time as some look to be, just run by Mini owners for Mini owners. Open pit lane, long day, Mini only on track, Friday through to Monday camping, maybe even a Friday on track too. Thursday night arrival into the weekend, I imagine it's a lot of work though, still expensive to reserve and quite a gamble probably, tracks like Goodwood are well overpriced, Oulton would be great being the long quick track it is having decent passing opportunities but I suspect also overpriced and harder to book with more restrictions and if TD's there are anything to go by. I wouldn't think it would work so well on an airfield type circuit as it's less of a 'location' perhaps and it wouldn't be so good for spectators. So I'd expect a place like Anglesey in particular which is a great circuit for Minis but also in a fabulous area that promotes runs out or other things to do and see being close to Snowdonia which might appeal to some wanting to make even more of their visit, it could become one of those big Mini events where there is good space and by the sea too.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I think you might be living in fairy world.

Track rental across a whole weekend will be eye watering, as well as difficult to come by in the Summer. Not to mention when you have days that are MINI only you hugely reduce the numbers on track. It's hard enough as it is to try and get more than 3 or 4 people to go to a reasonably priced track day when everybody has different commitments etc. You would be reliant on those attending to 'show' their cars footing the bill for the track time as part of their ticket price and it would just become hugely overpriced for everybody not to mention a massive risk for the potential 'organiser' willing to take it on.

Opentrack seem to manage to get some pretty cheap days at Pembrey in Wales, a lot of which fall on a weekend. Somewhere smaller like that would be your best bet, but in turn that makes it less of a 'destination'.

·
Resident Gobshite
4,140 Posts
That’s precisely what I tried to do with MTOG. Sadly the price to rent the track increased by over £2000 for the second year and they were hesitant to give me a confirmed date a year ahead because I wasn’t ‘a repeat customer’.
Sad as it had such great feedback and was self sufficient. It paid for itself and all money raised on the day was for charity. No entrance fees. All donations. It was even held on a Friday and Goodwood was packed with MINIs.
sadly, a weekend date just isn’t feasible. Christ knows what the likes of Players club pay for a whole weekend.
I looked into taking it to Silverstone but raising nearly £20,000 is not likely.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts