MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to start tackling the oil leaks on my R53 and to my horror the front bolts on the rocker cover are basically dust. Having looked into it seems to be a pretty common issue, there's someone on ebay selling an aftermarket kit, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper than the OEM ones (they're a ridiculous price for a few bolts)

Has anyone tried these? Or should I just pucker up and buy OEMs?

Also, any ideas on the how the hell I get this out? It's so bad I don't even know if there's anything solid left to beat a smaller socket onto it.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Irwins will get this out.
Stainless bolts into an ally head is a no no.
Just buy replacement oe bolts.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
fuck that kit off, stick with OEM imo, keep it simple and reliable, heavy type spray grease over the front bolt heads will preserve them, a 7mm or 6mm socket tapped over will extract that, yes expensive, but what, 3-5 (on average) bolts every 15 years? Come on ;O)

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,627 Posts
So apologies if everyone knows this trick already but as I used it yesterday to remove a disc bolt so it’s in my mind. This was for a star bolt but also worked the other way in the past.
If your tool is loose/sloppy and you’re scared of rounding off/out Any Old rusty nut, use a small square of chamois leather to add more grip. eg cut a postage stamp size bit off and stick it between your tool and offending bolt.
This is obviously after using penetrating fluids/heat and also with utilising forward/backwards torque etc

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fuck that kit off, stick with OEM imo, keep it simple and reliable, heavy type spray grease over the front bolt heads will preserve them, a 7mm or 6mm socket tapped over will extract that, yes expensive, but what, 3-5 (on average) bolts every 15 years? Come on ;O)
Mine even on the rears are crusty and flaking off. There's only one bolt I'd be comfortable reusing. Over 100 quid for a few stupid bolts is quite a sting that I'd like to avoid if I have to. But as I suspected myself, avoiding it isn't really an option.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Irwins will get this out.
Stainless bolts into an ally head is a no no.
Just buy replacement oe bolts.
Is this due to potential chemical reaction that will cause the alloy head to corrode and possibly fuse the stainless bolt in place?

·
Registered
235 Posts
The bolt size is:

M6
thread pitch 1 (standard for a M6)
35mm long (you can use 40mm)

You MUST use the standard bolt sleeves with the rubber washers (which you may wish to replace - £10 for a set of 12) if you use non standard bolts. These stop you overtightening and/or twisting the rocker cover. The torque setting of 12nm is in mind of these being used. It is important to torque the bolts correctly and in the right order.

You DO NOT need to cut the old bolts to remove the sleeves. Hold the sleeve in a pair of vice grips (don't crush it). Place the grips over the end of a bench and give the bottom of the bolt a sharp tap with a hammer and the bolt will pop out of the sleeve.

Buy a decent branded rocker gasket too.

You can ask how I found all this out, but I think you can probably guess it was at the university of learning by your own mistakes and the college of doing the job twice!

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Is this due to potential chemical reaction that will cause the alloy head to corrode and possibly fuse the stainless bolt in place?
Yeah exactly, and if you were able to separate them the ally bit would be destroyed. It doesnt happen quickly but if oe bolts last 15 years - stick with them.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,407 Posts
Galvanic corrosion innit. You can mitigate it by using thread lock but who wants to do that. I replaced mine with zinc passivated bolts and the last winter just ate them. I actually considered using aluminium bolts but didn't like the thought of shearing one off

·
That's you, that is.
299 Posts
I just replaced all mine with stainless steel - general consensus on here at the time was that it would be fine

I guess we’ll find out!

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The stainless is higher on the “Noble” scale, if you put the stainless into the aluminium and if there is any moisture then you will create a galvanic cell, if this happens the the aluminium will be come ’sacrificial’ and will stick to the stainless.
Probably take quite a while depending on the moisture though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ehhh... I'm a cheapskate and get a kick out of doing things the hobo way but I've been scared off this now. Guess it's pucker up time and buy the right ones.

Really not looking forward to trying to get the front ones out though, the thought of having to drill them out scares me shitless.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
The correct choice sir.
A set of these HERE will get those out or other option is to knock an undersized long socket onto them with a hammer.
If your passing these shores Il happily do it for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The correct choice sir.
A set of these HERE will get those out or other option is to knock an undersized long socket onto them with a hammer.
If your passing these shores Il happily do it for you.
I'm going to try the undersized socket approach with a manual impact driver, but some are so bad that I don't actually know if there's much of anything left for even an undersized socket to hold onto.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts