MiniTorque.com banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Today I took on the task to upgrade and paint the brakes.

I got the brakes blasted via glas pearls, which saved a lot of time and delivered a perfect finish.

I dissembled the brakes and removed the old gaskets and the brittle pistons.

It was time to install the kit i got from the user Cooper A (greetings) which is going to enable me to run 28mm thick discs which offer a superior ventilation.

Then it was time for some time consuming masking and assembly. After that the fun part began.

I went I bit wild with the colour. Iam anxious to see how it looks on the car.

Frenkit offers a complete set with all the gaskets and steel pistons which are definitely more durable.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I also discovered an interesting thing. The cat did nearly delete itself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I also wanted to get rid of the plastic intake tube and replace it with 60mm aluminum tubing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Now comes the fun part!

The upgrade intercooler is a Wagner but not the mini one! Why take the easy way if you can all the way Frankenstein!

You can tell on the picture below the difference between a stock cooler and the forge one.

The cooler comes from a VW T5.

I chose the Wagner upgrade because it’s efficient and really thin, 40mm, and has a huge surface area!

It has 65mm intake and outlet ports which are less restrictive then the 54mm ones. The volume is also bigger then all the available mini intercoolers at 11 L. The Wagner competition for the mini has a volume of 8.7 L.

A wide spread rule of thumb is having 3 L intercooler volume per 100hp.

It should fit without huge modifications and cutouts.

The last road dyno measurement showed 269hp so thats a loss of 2 hp from the stock turbo

I expect the intercooler to be able to release the missing 40-50 hp which are missing…

Bad news to everyone who wants to buy a Wagner: Wagner increased its prices by 15%.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Alright the brake upgrade is finished!

It looks good, but a bit small

The ventilation is way bigger on these discs. They also feature different rotation for each site.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
After the successful brake installation, it is time to reveal the total dumb but fucking massive intercooler!

Currently under a protective layer, iam using it to lay the last finishing touches.

I also built a custom aluminum boost pipes with 60mm diameter. All the stock boost pipes have been replaced by now.

The system starts with 55mm from the turbo to the RczR blowoff. Lucky coincidence the RczR has an outlet of 65mm. The intercooler has on both sides 65mm in/Outlet. Then with a reduction to 60mm to the throttle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Also I am going to try out an ignition coil upgrade, one that has way more spark energy then the Audi R8 coils.

Also these coils are also dumb coils with 3 pins.

My coils have run over 150k km and because of that I thought I could send them to their eternal sleep.

I will also do a before and after dyno run to verify if stronger coils will provide any positive effect.

I personally don’t believe that they „make“ power as long the engine doesn’t have misfires, but I heard that more spark energy enable one to run more timing.

I will also log the timing advance before and after to verify this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Oh i forgot to show you my on road dyno measurement. We stopped at something like 5500 RPM because the engine could increase the rpm any more with the intake temps exceeding 80+ degrees C while having like 5 degrees ambient temperature.

The torque curve is nice and flat until 5200 rpm then it drops considerably. Also you will notice the low torque of ~370 Nm despite of having over 1.5 bar boost pressure. The extremely high intake temps and the very restrictive intercooler did their very best to limit the power beyond this point.

At least it did 265 hp at 5000rpm, now it misses 2000 rpm.

I will keep you updated as soon the new intercooler setup is done.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Alright fellas it’s in!

I successfully installed the Wagner IC.

The results are amazing. The Ic flows a lot more and keeps the intake temps at a maximum of 8 degrees above ambient.
The power increase is insane. I will post a dynopro reading again for comparison.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,725 Posts
Great thread ... but hard to understand that there are no tuners for the R56 in Germany.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts