MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Youd be better off with a different pump. If the stock pump is the same as the R53 (I'm sure it is) then an aftermarket pump for a 2wd Audi tt is a direct fit
They basket and the stock pump are not the same.

I could fit an Audi or Mini r53 basket, but buying one of them would cost as much as the walbro pump and then I still would need an upgrade pump.

If they were the same I would have gone for the deatchwerks plug n play pump.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 7 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm lost here?
If the r53/56 pumps/ baskets are swap-able and all these r53 turbo projects have enough fuelling for 350bhp+ then it should be a simple upgrade?
What have I missed ?
You can fit an r53 in an R56. But I didn't want to buy a new basket and an uprated pump.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The gap between the pumps is the smallest Problem. The thing is that the basket can't stay the way it is because I can't use this suction system which was on the old pump which pulled fuel from the membrane on the button of the busket. It looks like the old pump pulled fuel from two ports.

Iam left with two options. Either cut the basket open or try to get the membrane system to work.

I found out that the small orange valve is called umbrella valve. Iam going to install it like this to keep the surge tank function. I ordered some extra umbrella valves to install in the bucket, but for now iam going to try it with one valve and see if the one valve flows enough fuel into the bucket.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Also the new water feed line for the Peugeot turbo arrived but it doesn't have an inlet for the expansion tank so I have to route it somewhere else.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The stock 308 gti downpipe fits like a glove. Iam going to modify the stock downpipe with an 100cel cat and continue with 3" to the exhaust. I decided to go with the stock downpipe because:

1. It fits the turbo perfect.
2. It has a good bend which needs less space.
3. The inlet is 80mm and expands to over 100mm which is huge.

I can't wait to test the turbo, themis has already demonstrated what an upgraded Peugeot turbo can do, but this one has also an upgraded high flow turbine wheels so the it should deliver better gains on higher rpms.

I expect only a little bit worse turbo lag, because even though the turbine wheel has more flow, it is more modern and lightweight then the stock one.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Great job! I’m waiting anxiously to see your results. I’m sure they’re going to be very good. Have you done anything on the head, cams etc?

Just take care of that heat from the turbo onto your plastic bits around it. I have ceramic coated the turbo and manifold and still had some minor issues with melted plastic. Without the coating (which does an amazing job...miles better than tapes etc) I’m worried that the effect is going to be worse.

Thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Great job! I’m waiting anxiously to see your results. I’m sure they’re going to be very good. Have you done anything on the head, cams etc?

Just take care of that heat from the turbo onto your plastic bits around it. I have ceramic coated the turbo and manifold and still had some minor issues with melted plastic. Without the coating (which does an amazing job...miles better than tapes etc) I’m worried that the effect is going to be worse.

Thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the praise! It means a lot for me coming from you.

The head was gasket matched and the inlet and outlet were lightly ported. Especially the restrictive inlet was opened up.

The cams are stock for now, the budget didn't allow for other cams. I have another set of stock cams. Iam probably going to have them regrinded to my liking and see what results I can achieve.

As for the the heat, iam going to fit the Peugeot heat shield. It fits better then expected, even better then the stock mini one. I got it new for 60€, nearly stolen!

Also iam probably going to wrap the downpipe.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just out of interest,does anyone know what sort of high power does a modified Peugeot RCZ make?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Just out of interest,does anyone know what sort of high power does a modified Peugeot RCZ make?
The Rs or the 308 Gti do with all the supporting mods 310-320 hp with the stock turbo.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The new walbro is ready for installation. With the new coupler the system is plug and play

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
More fotos of the installation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Today I filled the engine with cheap oil, finished the boost side with the blow off and installed my solution for the missing water connection for the expansion tank.

The boost side sits tight, really tight, but it has enough room to move around without touching anything. It would be great if I could get the hoses custom made to fit, but that's a thing for the future.

The water feed line isn't a beauty either but it works. Only the shitty quick connector under the expansion tank is leaky. I probably need a new one or a nice forge expansion tank. If anyone is interested in investing in my car feel free to do so.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I primed the engine before i connected the fuel pump. I started it quite a few times until I had oil pressure.

Then I connected the fuel pump and tried turning it on. The engine turned nearly instantly on and was working very very smooth. I had no oil and water leaks (except that shitty connector) whatsoever.

I haven't finished the exhaust and the catch can system ye, so no test driving for know.

The thing is I don't have any time till Sunday to work on my car, so everything has to wait.

But it runs, that's the most important thing.

Here's a picture with the intake installed. Iam probably going to paint the intake pipe black and get black silicon hoses.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I have finished the downpipe, the exhaust and fitted all the other missing stuff. I also fitted two catch cans. Here's a picture of the engine bay.

I let the car run for 20 minutes with various revs and did an oil change. Then I took it for a drive. The engine runs good with a few hiccups.

The logs showed that the engine runs to a lamda of 0.60-0.50 which is extremely rich. The bigger injectors have to be the cause of that.

Otherwise the car doesn't feel different except for the turbo. It surprisingly spools as fast or faster then the jcw turbo even with it's way bigger turbine and compressor. That thing took me by surprise as it spooled like there was no tomorrow.

Now it's time to get the ecu programmed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Found a few Fotos of the old turbo and manifold.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The upgraded fuel pump assembly works good and pumps fuel even at very low fuel levels.

So far I couldn't notice any problems. The walbro is a bit louder then the stock one but nothing obnoxious.

I realized that I didn't post any pictures of my car, only from the engine bay. Don't expect anything fancy as my taste is more subtle.

Here are 2 Pictures of the exterior with all the mods.

R56
Hypersport package
KW V3 suspension
OZ Superturismo GT
Michelin PSS 215/45R17
Braided brake lines
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Fcl Headlights with black inlays
Carbon door handles
Carbon Boot Lid
Carbon rear mirror caps
Black fog lamps