MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was a pretty productive day for me - I eventually got around to installing my new android head unit in my 2007 Mini Cooper S. I've installed a lot of car stereos to different cars over the years - but this was probably the most time consuming one - mainly due to the fact you have to strip a good bit of the dashboard out to actually fit it - it's not difficult, just time consuming and finicky - its a lot easier if you have the right tools though - so if you;re thinking about doing this - invest in proper trim removal tools and a T20 and T30 screwdriver.

The reason I went for this particular head unit is because it is the most OEM looking one i could find and also has the option to display the speed in MPH or KM/H - most options don't look OEM and only show KM/H.. I have to say that it's an amazing bit of kit - I had missed Apple CarPlay since getting rid of my Golf R MK7.5 and this brings the Mini right up to date - the bonus being it's also wireless Apple CarPlay! - it helped tidy up my interior a bit as i no longer needed my phone mount and it replaced a Highway DAB 600 BT handsfree and DAB stereo unit I had been using.

The sound quality even on stock speakers is amazing! - the built-in EQ is accurate and adjustable/customisable and i honestly didn't think stock speakers could sound this good.

Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Plant

Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Odometer Steering part

Speedometer Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

Speedometer Vehicle Trip computer Odometer Car

Reactions: Alski and George1

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How is the indicator chime ?
you get a small separate speaker for the indicator chime - it works - but it sounds a little different (like a model from a different car) - there's loads of room to place the small speaker/chime unit behind the head unit - which is what i did.. :)

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well just ordered , I have never known a grown man to be so excited 😂
awesome!! - you'll love it! - let me know how you get on when you get round to installing it...

I'll give you a few tips that stumped me for a bit:
* If you want to use the external microphone they provide - then it doesn't plug into where it says 'MIC' on the rear - those holes are blocked off - it plugs into the jack near the GPS antenna (on the top edge of the unit)- like in this photo! - (I was sumped for a bit! - I didn't even see it! LOL!):

Finger Bumper Gas Gadget Automotive exterior

* the small speaker that you install for your indicators and chimes plugs into the harness that has the USB connectors on it (I spent way to long trying to work our where it fitted on the rear of the unit!! LOL!)

Those were the only 2 'unknowns' I had - but when I messaged the seller they helped me immediately.. as in they got back to me within 5 minutes! - pretty surprising when they are over the other side of the world! - communication and support was excellent from them! :)

· Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,693 Posts
what about the option bits mentioned? Is stuff supplied and you choose to use it or not, or where is it available if not included

· Registered
1,663 Posts
How do you find the software? There's a lot of chinese android solutions for many cars, but in my experience they are tedious to actually use.

· Registered
39 Posts
awesome!! - you'll love it! - let me know how you get on when you get round to installing it...

I'll give you a few tips that stumped me for a bit:
* If you want to use the external microphone they provide - then it doesn't plug into where it says 'MIC' on the rear - those holes are blocked off - it plugs into the jack near the GPS antenna (on the top edge of the unit)- like in this photo! - (I was sumped for a bit! - I didn't even see it! LOL!):

View attachment 109202

* the small speaker that you install for your indicators and chimes plugs into the harness that has the USB connectors on it (I spent way to long trying to work our where it fitted on the rear of the unit!! LOL!)

Those were the only 2 'unknowns' I had - but when I messaged the seller they helped me immediately.. as in they got back to me within 5 minutes! - pretty surprising when they are over the other side of the world! - communication and support was excellent from them! :)
Thanks for that, just had shipping conformation, due in about 5 days :)

· Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,693 Posts
Options, ie DVD , DAB , rear cam etc are additional charges , bear in mind if DVD not chosen , the original CD in the car is rendered useless and will be only there for aesthetics.
I didn't spot links to them on that site shown, have you seen them or cost etc?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts