Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Fuchs Syntofluid

·
Registered
2005 Mini R53 Works
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
finished the Mini today. Capacitor was not that fresh anymore, so it was replaced.

then finished car and, yes he started. immediately made a test drive. engine runs very neatly, no taps, rattles or other noises. The engine pulls like crazy, seriously different power than the previous engine top! during test drive the Mini had a pancake handling. I did feel the setup was much tighter, but the 18-inch rims made sure my fillings were tested at every cross-ledge.

so immediately to align the car.

I was actually not allowed to be there because of COVID. Of course, but I just keep my distance. They wanted to align the Mini like a Cooper One. That's why I'm there, it's an R53 Works, with sports suspension ......... So you have to click 5 cars lower on your computer .......... Oh, sorry ..

What a difference, completely different car, sends razor sharp and, I found special, much more comfortable and nothing more blows with bumps. Sure the Mini is punishment, but what a difference.

at home, the bumper is just as well hung, end pieces of the exhaust have a little bit less protruding and the Mini washed.

Mod budget has dried up for a moment, so coilover has to wait a while.

Ron

·
Registered
2005 Mini R53 Works
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So far, so good, Mini drives perfect. By the way, did not know that the half car was assembled with plastic pressure / screw / turn caps. I have checked everything, this week I want to neatly hang and fasten the side skirts. And ff figuring out how I can get those plastic wheel extensions neatly black again, preferably longer than a week ......

Today received a package:

the story: I wanted to put a used camshaft in the JCW head when the head was overhauled. The company called me to say the Newman PH1 camshaft was unusable. The reason was strange wear and tear. So put the standard camshaft back in the head. I just dropped by and the mechanic told me it was a manufacturing error as far as he is concerned. I contacted Newman (email with pictures) and within an hour I was asked if I could send it to them, then they sent a new one back. Received today, just take a moment to install it.

I wanted a Newman PH1 because it works fine without adjustments with JCW mapping and 380 injectors. I think it's top service from Newman.

Gr Ron

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
they had a few, easily addressed (y) PH1/2 not 1 fwiw.

·
Registered
2005 Mini R53 Works
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
No more updates for a long time, I've been busy with the C10 and it was busy at work. last weeks made some small changes to the Mini.

HOBO

Coilovers

Coilovers out again and back in with camberplates

Finally oil leak tackled with 2 rings forgotten during the overhaal of 1 euro each

Mini as it is now

Before the overhaul, the Mini had a very hard rattle in the engine....... That was a connecting rod bearing. He also had an annoying rattle around 3000 rpm for a while. That annoying rattle is back. Have ordered a tool in the UK to secure the multi-belt tensioner (the lever) then I can run the engine without the belt. When the rattle is gone, I suspect the Crankshaft Pulley. (Lots of info found here) I transferred it, seemed visually good. The tensioner, etc, compressor are new (Gates) or overhauled with new bearing retaining rings and oil.

Then the wheels, put the 18 inches back under it temporarily. Since I do everything myself in my garage, I wait until I'm really ready before I align the Mini properly. Those 18-inch tires are already at the end of their lives, cured, cupped and I throw them away. Find 18 too big so go for 17 inch wheels. The fun of modding for me is also to find a light wheel as possible which is a bit affordable. They will be Autec Clubsport rims, wait for the price with Federal RS Pro tires.

Make about 500km per month at the moment so I also immediately test the wheel bearings, otherwise I will also replace them before aligning.

Finally, I wait for some nicer weather, then I pull out the seats and put the Corbeau Clubsports in. Unfortunately my garage is too narrow to open the doors completely so I do that for the garage. So wait for a little spring temperature.

Nice story: I ordered a classic steering wheel for the Chevy C10. Did I get this in......

Emailed the seller asking what he thought of the steering wheel what I had been received and what I had ordered. Got in response: wrong steering wheel, don't have to return it and money refunded the day later. I'll put it in the Mini. Have the resistors ready, too.

El Ron

·
Registered
2005 Mini R53 Works
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Since the overhaul of my engine, I've been rattling around 3,000 rpm. Rattle is present in all gears. I once drove past Beek racing, who determined that it is not the gearbox and neither is the head. (Head has been overhauled) he advised me to loosen the multi-belt and then run the engine (briefly) and listen if the rattle is gone. I've transferred the crankshaft pulley from the old bottom block. (110.000KM ) The old engine had the same rattle. The rattle can only be heard when the block is well warm. Now have the well-known lifting tool inside so this weekend just warm up and then take off the multi-belt.

I want to replace the crankshaft pulley, want to buy an ATI 2%. Where can I buy it for some normal amount, except on Ebay?
Order a new bolt from the dealer and have already ordered a crankshaft pulley trigger.

edit: found one !

Ron

·
Registered
2005 Mini R53 Works
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Today I fitted the wheels.

I've got in a completely different Mini. Steers deliciously directly in to corners and really sticks to the road. Setup gives a lot more confidence and, funnily enough, is much more comfortable.

The rear wheels are ET38 and apparently the Federal falls rather wide. there‘s some rubbin. Front have no issues. Tomorrow the old heavyweights will be back under it and just looking for a moment to roll the wheel arch edges and remove some plastic.

Ron

·
Registered
2005 Mini R53 Works
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Will you just see, here the covid measures have been brought back a bit, the first whisky evening with the group of friends will not take place........ possible positive contamination. Anyway, I can take a closer look at the Mini in the morning without a headache.

Just put the Mini on the lift. When I look at it that way, the tire falls neatly into the wheel arch. I think he's just touching the plastic from the wheel arch extensions. Traces on the tires are made of molten plastic. The tyre is clearly the strongest and undamaged.

Tomorrow morning, let's get to work on the dremel and then finish it off with a good ride.

Ron

·
Registered
2005 Mini R53 Works
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This weekend the wheel arch extensions tackled, also the plastic wheel pits. Scraping is pretty much gone. Only with very deep holes still, but that will be solved by the tires.

I raised the Mini at the back 1 cm and 0.5 cm at the front.

The first findings after 50km. ......

The tires are very quiet, compared to the rock hard run flat 18 inch Bridgestones. When I bought the Mini it was very hard suspension with JCW base. I don't buy a Mini for comfort, but cross-sections on the highway and other blemishes dealt huge blows. With the coilovers as well and with the camberplates it was even worse. Whole base's right now. It's just gotten a kind of comfortable, the suspension works well, solid but no more blows. Now you notice the PU rubbers in the wishbones, new fuses and "normal" no runflat tires. These Federals are the XL version.

Disadvantages:
I have to screw these chairs in asap........

The grip of these tires is insane. Due to the 7kg lighter wheels (each), the car steers super directly. The leather standard seats are never intended for this. No more seat heating...... I don’t care. Drove M3, M5, Clio RS but I hadn't experienced this amount of grip. Only my semi-trackday M3 E46 on Michelin Cup tyres came close in terms of grip, but the Mini is many times more agile. The next upgrade will be the ATI damper and then place the camshaft. Then it's enough....... ok maybe new big brakes........... thick stabi behind...... rear wishbones R56....... :rolleyes:

Ron

21 - 34 of 34 Posts