MiniTorque.com banner

Has your MINI power steering pump ever failed?

• Yes

Votes: 55 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 51 48.1%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you had to replace your MINI power steering pump during ownership on either your current or previous MINI's. Please vote Yes or No on the above poll.

·
Mad man and speed junkie
162 Posts
There is a fella here who works for the company who makes the pumps for MINI and many many other cars. He once said. "so, how do you like our crappy failing pumps?"

they are fully aware they suck. But MINI does nothing about it. That specific pump is just garbage.

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
Are there any tell tail signs the pump is about to fail? Is there an upgraded replacement or do we jsut have to wait for it to fail?

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
just wait until you mount a curb / end up in a hedge according to watchdog!

shocking if you ask me... we should all protest to bmw uk together demanding a safety recall and free replacement if necessary.

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll be popping to MINI shortly and playing it dumb... 'Yes I've been watching that Watchdog program and they said I should come straight down here and get a free pumpy turny thingy as mine is defo on it's way out and could kill several children when it fails. Nicky Campbell told me to update him personally on my progress so shuffle on out the back and fit it will you, chop chop!... oh and don't scratch the front mount, there's a good chap.

Nice to see one of your stickers getting some free advertising on the beeb Adam! :D

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Had two steering columns but never a pump. The ONE D doesnt have the whiny pump sound though, so not sure if it uses the same one?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Or more importantly a diesel steering rack fail -ie seal failure

Nice to see one of your stickers getting some free advertising on the beeb Adam!

-you must have eyes like a hawk , Oddly enough one of the owners shown was an old neighbour of mine !! (not her car though with sticker) small world !

·
Fffuuuuuuu!
8,606 Posts
Mine hasn't failed in my year of ownership, and the previous owner didn't mention anything...oh dear.

Do you reckon MINI would replace it for free if I mentioned Watchdog (not that I watched it)? Or shall we get a letter drafted up, and all send it off to MINI HQ / local dealer?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Have you had to replace your MINI power steering pump during ownership on either your current or previous MINI's. Please vote Yes or No on the above poll.
i really liked the orange cooper with the black head light surrounds/spoiler, looked v.cool

·
Fffuuuuuuu!
8,606 Posts
Might be worth a call to MINI Customer Service (number at the bottom of the following link);

BBC - Mini power steering failures - Watchdog - Blog

I wonder if we spoke to MINI Bluebell Crewe, they could put some pressure on HQ and see if a mass replacement is possible? There's a good relationship between Bluebell and the MINI community now, so hope they could help - Bluebell is now sponsoring Notts Mini Club.

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talk about sensationalism... according to the other site, 60% of MINI owners have had power steering pump failures yet on the small poll above it's saying only 25% so far.

Thing is, what is the most common failure on the MINI, I know the early ones had gearbox-linkage problems and that ended up in a recall.

Is this all just a storm in a tea cup? Great advertising for MINI Matt, but I've already had texts from non-MINI owning mates giving me grief about my little 'chocolate' box car. 'It may be fast, just in the wrong direction'... 'MINI steers into a wall... the end'... seems all this has done is knock our brand.

·
Fffuuuuuuu!
8,606 Posts
Talk about sensationalism... according to the other site, 60% of MINI owners have had power steering pump failures yet on the small poll above it's saying only 25% so far.

Thing is, what is the most common failure on the MINI, I know the early ones had gearbox-linkage problems and that ended up in a recall.

Is this all just a storm in a tea cup? Great advertising for MINI Matt, but I've already had texts from non-MINI owning mates giving me grief about my little 'chocolate' box car. 'It may be fast, just in the wrong direction'... 'MINI steers into a wall... the end'... seems all this has done is knock our brand.
Maybe it is all just a storm in a tea cup - putting a nail into BMW / MINI after what they've done to their workforce in Oxford. Although a very well timed nail if it is.

·
MINI!
3,160 Posts
What made me laugh was its a good bit of advertising for Matt! 2 per day... wow! A whole 2 a day?!? How many are there in the UK? Its just like anything.... its a sealed electric motor that will fail! Fact! but a question of when! The more you use it the quicker it will fail just like your washing machine.....

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What made me laugh was its a good bit of advertising for Matt! 2 per day... wow! A whole 2 a day?!? How many are there in the UK? Its just like anything.... its a sealed electric motor that will fail! Fact! but a question of when! The more you use it the quicker it will fail just like your washing machine.....
Quite agree... if the others sites stats are to be believed then 50% of all MINI power steering pumps have failed then that's over 500,000 failures!!! If that's true then I need to get into the power steering pump business!

Be interesting to see how many the MINI dealers have relpaced. Thomas/Loui?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts