MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , i put a recent post up today reguarding twin charge units and so on...
Iv now decided to go for a single turbo charged set up.
Just wanting to know a few things on the electrical side of things

Can i run the standard ecu with a turbo?
Will the sensors be adequate?
What turbo for 300whp? (Mid range not high rpm)
Where the turbo oil feed is fed from in the build?
Will high compression engines create better boost or low compression for turbos?
Also any other information you can think of thats crutial
I will be building a forged engine so internals are not a magor part.

Thanks in advance
ReeceJ

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You could do 300whp on standard internals with just uprated ARP head and rod bolts
I think you would need at least Bytetronic to allow full access to the ECU but a standalone would be much better
I'd go for an EFR 6258/6758 but some on here will say Garett GT28xx
The turbo oil feed can come from fitting a tapless adapter in line with the oil pressure sensor and the return can go back to the sump
Not sure about the compression I plan on leaving mine standard

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could do 300whp on standard internals with just uprated ARP head and rod bolts
I think you would need at least Bytetronic to allow full access to the ECU but a standalone would be much better
I'd go for an EFR 6258/6758 but some on here will say Garett GT28xx
The turbo oil feed can come from fitting a tapless adapter in line with the oil pressure sensor and the return can go back to the sump
Not sure about the compression I plan on leaving mine standard

Thats great graig , thanks for your comment
Ill probably go with the garret gt28
How much are the bytetronic? And what do they do? Pritty much a piggy back ecu?
Do you hqve any images of the turbo oilfeed? From inside the engine bay by anychance?
Thanks
ReeceJ

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Bytetronik gives you more control over the stock ECU.

But, as said. I'd go for a standalone on a turbo conversion. Just much and much better. Throttle response, more advanced maps, everything will be easier en more adjustable for a mapper.

I would also opt for a BW. They spool a whole lot quicker than GT's if I have to believe numbers...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bytetronik gives you more control over the stock ECU.

But, as said. I'd go for a standalone on a turbo conversion. Just much and much better. Throttle response, more advanced maps, everything will be easier en more adjustable for a mapper.

I would also opt for a BW. They spool a whole lot quicker than GT's if I have to believe numbers...
Thanks dave k
So whats a bw turbo?

A standalone is alot harder to wire as i look at the byte tenchnick they are pritty much plug & play right?

·
Bugger
25,316 Posts
Thanks dave k
So whats a bw turbo?

A standalone is alot harder to wire as i look at the byte tenchnick they are pritty much plug & play right?
You don't have to wire it if you go for one of the many plug and play ECU's for the MINI, Nickbmw who is a vendor on here offers one, 1320 have their own, RMW are dealers for Vipec and theres a few other options. Bytronik will not let you run a turbo well, you really need an aftermarket ECU for higher boost map sensors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if i go for a plug & play ecu from one of the companies , what am i expecting to pay?
And what services do i get?
I dont get why people are saying u can run standard ecu's with turbos at 300whp?
If that is possible id rather do that in the mean time?
Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You can't even map a standard ECU to run with a can and 550's without going Bytetronic, madnick ran Bytetronic on his turbo build and said that because of the way it worked it was cutting boost I'm sure he can explain in more detail but I'd just consider running an ECU it will cost you ~800 for the one nick sells I think*, £1500 for 1320's/vipec from PRS

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the help guys
And craig what website is for nicks ecu?
Or information onit? Plug & play?

·
Bugger
25,316 Posts
So if i go for a plug & play ecu from one of the companies , what am i expecting to pay?
And what services do i get?
I dont get why people are saying u can run standard ecu's with turbos at 300whp?
If that is possible id rather do that in the mean time?
Thanks for your comments
You can, however only Lohen have fully cracked the stock ECU and they haven't released the software yet. Bytronik Full Access is a bit misleading a term, its more the side boob of ECU access, it lets you have a peek at the goods but theres still a bra in the way... It does not have the capacity to deal with upgrading the map sensors and adjusting the ECU enough. Its more a bit of access.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can, however only Lohen have fully cracked the stock ECU and they haven't released the software yet. Bytronik Full Access is a bit misleading a term, its more the side boob of ECU access, it lets you have a peek at the goods but theres still a bra in the way... It does not have the capacity to deal with upgrading the map sensors and adjusting the ECU enough. Its more a bit of access.

Haha i like your elaboration ���� 10/10 for that
And thats abit better insite into the bytetronik - that was pritty much the route i thought of going down .. From what i know 1320 use bytetronik + turbo smart to deal with the boost side
Admitingly that only allows so much boost - probably keeps it in the ranges of the original sensors
And as far as lohen? What turbo builds have they done?
As if it was only the ecu that needed cracking id do all the hard graft of building the dam thing
Limp it to lohen and get them to tweek it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts