MiniTorque.com banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R56 N18 Mini Cooper S - 2012 R56 N16 Mini One
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
So, sun was shining at the weekend.
Attempted to fit coilovers but only got as far as the rears when my back gave out.
Also couldnt get drivers side lower mount to torque up. Think thread might be gone. :(

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Made quite a difference to the wheel arch gap at the back and this is set to the minimum lowering with these coilovers (-15mm)
Fronts will have to wait till my back is better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Only had them on since Saturday!
First impressions - Knocking and scraping all gone from rear end. So thats good.
As above, riding the bumps much better on the B roads. A little soft maybe, too early to say really
Feels solid on dual carriageway (did 70 mile round trip yesterday).

I would say for road driving they are pretty much exactly what I was looking for.
Keeping everything stock to look at but improving ride quality and handling.
Thats not to say I'm not now tempted by the street advance z's.
I could always pop these on the wife's R56 One. :D

Only issue is with adjustment dial for damping.
It is supposed to have 16 clicks of adjustment but the knob just keeps turning and clicking.
Luckily I counted clicks from the off so am pretty sure they are set in the middle, assuming they were set in the middle from the factory. Not ideal though.
Also instructions arent the best. Little pictograms that are too small for my fading eyesight.
Needed glasses and a magnifying glass. (sad but true)
For the adjustment on teins you have to turn the knob clockwise as far as it goes,this is full hard/zero.
16 clicks back from there is full soft (16)the rest of the clicks back from there do nothing apart from possible damage to the damper this means that if you set it from as far anti clockwise as you can go then go clockwise 16 clicks you're pretty much still on full soft,

All the teins I've ever had click about 35 to 40 clicks but you don't use them

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,161 Posts
For the adjustment on teins you have to turn the knob clockwise as far as it goes,this is full hard/zero.
16 clicks back from there is full soft (16)the rest of the clicks back from there do nothing apart from possible damage to the damper this means that if you set it from as far anti clockwise as you can go then go clockwise 16 clicks you're pretty much still on full soft,

All the teins I've ever had click about 35 to 40 clicks but you don't use them

That’s good to know about the clicks that do nothing as mine have 28 clicks but the paperwork mentions the 16 clicks so I thought it was odd, I’ve gone 10-12 clicks back (can’t remember off hand) from ‘full hardness’ so that sounds like I’ve ‘over softened’ them a touch as I wanted to go about mid softness (ie 8 clicks) although they do feel alright I may have a bit of a play again, I need to investigate the knocking from the front passenger side anyway

·
Registered
28 Posts
That’s good to know about the clicks that do nothing as mine have 28 clicks but the paperwork mentions the 16 clicks so I thought it was odd, I’ve gone 10-12 clicks back (can’t remember off hand) from ‘full hardness’ so that sounds like I’ve ‘over softened’ them a touch as I wanted to go about mid softness (ie 8 clicks) although they do feel alright I may have a bit of a play again, I need to investigate the knocking from the front passenger side anyway
On the mini I've found 8 clicks to be perfect for me, very sure footed and not too hard

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
On the mini I've found 8 clicks to be perfect for me, very sure footed and not too hard

I went about 12 clicks too. Feels a bit bouncy. Will dial it back a bit.
Had the EnduraPro Plus's on 2 clicks from hardest setting and they felt great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went about 12 clicks too. Feels a bit bouncy. Will dial it back a bit.
Had the EnduraPro Plus's on 2 clicks from hardest setting and they felt great.
I bought some endurapro for the front initially but never used them as I decided on coilovers but maybe I'll try them on another car in the future

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I bought some endurapro for the front initially but never used them as I decided on coilovers but maybe I'll try them on another car in the future

I really liked them, main reason I decided to go for the street advance z's.
They are going on the wife's Mini one (R56) eventually.

Ordered new front top mounts (went for OEM in the end), and some powerflex rear trailing arm front bushes (actually the complete brackets).
Getting them fitted along with the front street advances on wednesday (having oil and filter and gearbox oil changed as well).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
So.

Teins all fitted. Not drastically lowered but noticeable.

Before...
Car Wheel Tire Window Vehicle

After... (and a bath and polish)
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Also rocking 5mm spacers front and back to give better clearance of the struts (especially at the front)
Need to "aquire" some aero skirts I think.
Chickened out of the ones on Aliexpress.
Nearly £300 with shipping and no quarantee they will fit.

On 17" 7j ET48 wheels with 215/45 R17 tyres and no spacers they were pretty close...

Green Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades Cylinder

Bit better with the 5mm spacers.

Thigh Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades Human leg

Bit more breathing space. Feel like I could drop the front another 5-10mm now.

I also had cable adjusters fitted.
My opinion of them (the Tein ones at least) dont seem to work, for me anyway.
Car on the ground or wheel in the air they seem incredibly stiff with no defined clicks.
They will be coming off at the weekend and hopefully set properly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Finally dialled in at 6 clicks from stiffest on the front and 4 on the back.
Took it our for a test drive yesterday after the rain and, coming off a roundabout, the merc that was trying to follow me totally lost back end and backed right off. :D

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,345 Posts
I set some recently to four from fully in f/r fwiw, still compliant, they're definitely road biased, 6 would likely be alright on a stock daily for comfort, 4 definitely improved the feedback on this one, the cable adjusters if used with these ime lose the feel for the clicks somewhat, so I still dropped the dampers to adjust, a pain but doesn't take long really.

Reactions: Colonel Bogey

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
the cable adjusters if used with these ime lose the feel for the clicks somewhat
Yeah I found that with cable adjusters. REALLY stiff to turn but just about discernable clicks. Feels SO much better. Had rears on full soft for a while, was so bouncy.

What did you end up doing with the rear adjusters?
I stuck with them, was scared initially to put too much pressure on them when trying to adjust.
Figured fuck it whats the worst that could happen and cranked away and you can just feel the clicks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
a pain but doesn't take long really
Maybe not for a pro like yourself.
I get nervous just jacking it up onto jack stands.
Would take me all weekend probably.

I figured if they break they break, put down the handbag, grew a pair and cranked away. Thankfully all worked out ok.
Think I will try 4 from stiffest on front too, even things up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
Few more bits done over the last couple of weeks.
Played around with ride height a bit as rear was lower than front and fronts werent even.
Here it is before.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

and after

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Window

Also had new rear disks and pads acouple of weeks ago.
On friday she went in for a wallnut blast and to have a new boost solenoid fitted.
Boost solenboid was to try and sort a niggling eml boost error I have been getting from time to time. Happy to say it seems to have sorted it (fingers crossed touch wood).
So I figured while the intake manifold was off I might as well have a wallnut blast done.

Bottom 2 pics are before the blast - top 2 pics are after.

Nose Eyebrow Eye Facial expression Vertebrate

And tooday I have fitted new spark plugs.

Here are the old ones. Last receipt I have for new ones is from 2018 so I figured they could do with replacing.

Automotive tire Font Audio equipment Office supplies Suspension

All in all pretty pleased. Valves werent nearly as bad as I expected and plugs look as I would hope them too. Greyish and dry.
Running smooth and super responsive. Purring like a kitten at idle.
This car just keeps getting better and better.

Also restored headlights as they were going yellow and were really scratched in places. Look 100% better now.
Just used 1200 then 2500 grit wetndry and then meguiars PlasterX to polish them up. Worked a treat.
Don't have any before pics.

Heres an after though.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Ride height looks better. I originally wrote I prefer the rear to be slightly higher but then deleted it as didnt want to sound negative. Looks bang on now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I originally wrote I prefer the rear to be slightly higher but then deleted it as didnt want to sound negative. Looks bang on now.
Thanks.
Still very much a work in progress.
Total noob to all this so its all trial and error, with plenty of sage advice from you kind gents on here.

Havent lowered it that much (about 15-20mm) and dont know if I need adjustable drop links and control arms.
Getting a bit of tram lining going on so want to figure out why that is and get it sorted.
Possibly needs aligning again since I lowered the front 5-7mm since last alignment.
Also thinking about bigger spacers. Got 5mm shims all round atm. Thinking of going for 15mm at the rear and 10 at the front.
Would prefer to do it properly and get new wheels with lower offset but cant justify £££££.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts