MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing and testing a DIY water sprayer for the stock Mini Cooper S R53 intercooler. How to cool down your Intercooler so that air, intake temperatures drop. Budget install.
Please advise

·
/Overcompensate
717 Posts
Pretty hobo setup ip there, but it does show some interesting information regarding IC water spray.

If you have hot ambient temps and low humidity this is really a great way to manage heat soak. Lower ambient temps it helps also, but due to increased efficiency of the IC itself it is usually not needed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's proper hobo! :D
I admit, this setup is a bit shit...
maybe even hobo (but I dont know what that means as the trolls here are too tough to answer...)

After a few days of testing... the tape got loose, the hose is not held down properly... because of the heat...
so i recon i need to bolt it down somehow...

·
Wineeeeeeeeeeeee
2,286 Posts
You need to change the
Nozzle to a fine mist it will work a lot better instead of those heavy directional sprayers to be blown over move a greater surface area

·
/Overcompensate
717 Posts
Just remember to use distilled water, I have seen some badly calcified intercoolers from tap water, but that was after a few years though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why not couple of windscreen washers - some modern ones are fine mist, couple of holes in the intercooler plastic cover and you would have a neat install IMO.

·
Hoonigan
559 Posts
Don't think the aircon rad needs to be cooled. And the water temp needs to be over 90c to run efficiently. So probably better off just feeding the intercooler. Next up Peltier cooled :). Actually could probably cool the water in the line that way. Then spray hhmmm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts