MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I was contacted by a few friends in Mexico asking if we would bring the Mini to Rally Mexico 2016 using the NACAM championship. It was a nice idea and with no rallies in Costa Rica it was something worth thinking about. After the engine misfire issue our hopes of competing in Rally Mexico 2016 were over. Once again we have no rallies in Costa Rica, the Mini is almost rally ready so again we plan a serious attempt to try and be at rally Mexico 2017.

Last year a fellow Mini/rally driver suggested Gofundme , at that time I never heard of this site but after some investigation I see there are many motorsport team campaigns so I thought I’d give it a try. Most of the cost will be the shipping logistics’ and entry fees getting the Mini from Costa Rica to Mexico and back.

Like with the help we received after the roll we plan to put the donators names on the car. If we get 9537 people then the mini is going to need a bill board!

Please take some time to read the campaign and hopefully you or someone you know will be interested in a donation. Thanks for your time.

I will be posting up dates as we progress closer to the rally.

https://www.gofundme.com/mini-2-mexico2017

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Searching around I've not heard good things about SPEC clutches so I'll get the one I have now rebuilt. If anyone is based in the US reading this I would be willing to send you a nice bag of Costa Rica coffee either ground or beans for any donation over $15.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not much going on regarding the funds or the Mini. I was in Panama last weekend for work purposes and this weekend I was hoping to get the roll cage sorted but the welding guy is swamped with work so he says next month. That's the Costa Rica way so I have to be patient. I got some gearbox parts but I need to get the cage done and certified before taking the Mini off the road for a few months. The gear change is not good. I'm reduced to switching the engine off to select either 1st or reverse then switch on the engine to proceed. Gear changing requires some skill to avoid the crunch. I'm using lunch time to email UK/USA companies based in Mexico but nothing so far from any email....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far the epic trip is like this: Drive from SanJose to Limon Port(4 hours) with spares and the Mini. Load up a 20' container, 12 days by ship to Vearcruz Mexico. 5 days in the customs. We fly in to Veracruz, rent a 4x4 and drive the Mini and 4x4 to Leon (750km 10 hours+) do the rally( don't crash) then drive back to Veracruz, load up another 20' container. Fly back to CR, wait 12 days then go collect the car and spares and drive back to San Jose. Simple plan eh!

A few folks have asked me for a paypal account to help with the Rally Mexico project as they were not comfortable to use Gofundme for small donation amounts. I’m fine with that because Gofundme takes around 8%!!! Please find a the email address to use for paypal dedicated to the Rally Mexico. [email protected] Thanks again for your interest. Keep calm and rally on!

Also I'm going through the shed in CR to see what I have to sell. I found a ton of old Suzuki parts and some new Light force spot lamps that will be sold to fund the project.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There went 2 weeks in MA. Because the Mini is in CR and I'm up here does not mean I sit on my arse all day doing nothing.LOL In between work I'm researching companies in Mexico and emailing them proposals. I emailed all of these companies Global Companies succeeding with Mexico Manufacturing | TACNA Services PepsiCo emailed back to say they currently support soccer and American football! 2 others just emailed to say they don't support motorsport. I've contacted several shipping companies with just one company willing to take on the shipping. The quote just to get to Vearcruz Mexico from CR was $980 for the customs and $2975 for the container, I figure on another $1000 for the Mexican customs. so close to $10,000 in shipping for a round trip! WOW imagine what the WRC guys pay for shipping their cars worldwide. Anyway that quote seems a little excessive and maybe includes Gringo tax???? hahaha I have to mid December so there must be some company willing to help at a reasonable cost. Based on this my Gofundme account looks a little short for the total cost. LOL.

Also being aged at 54 I'm not a spring chicken anymore so after watching the 2016 Mexico stages on WRC+ I see some of the stages are 50 minutes for the WRC guys so imagine my humble R50's time. I'd be on the stage for over an hour at around 110F in the cabin. Therefore I've been exercising at the gym everyday to get in shape. I remember the Middle East rallies used to be killers in the heat.

I still have 4 months so anything could happen in that time. Thanks again for your interest.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Seeing as the gofundme account has not generated much in the way of funds I have been in contact with EBC brakes who will supply a set of disc's/Pads (red or yellow stuff) to fit a Gen 1/ Gen 2 Mini free of charge to anyone who donates $5 or more to the gofundme link or paypal me at [email protected] I'm working on getting more vendors to supply Mini parts for donations. All people that donate will be entered into a raffle at the end of the year.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been a tough month trying to prepare the Mini and find the backing. I don't get it with some companies, they string me along and then after about 3 months say they don't have the budget, then come back again to say they might have the budget! What can I do but just go with the flow.

Eminiparts.com have helped with these items to help towards gaining funds via a raffle at the end of the year. To be fair I need at least 100 donations at $5

Easy listening – no cables, nothing to plug in, nothing to install. Simply put your smartphone on top of the speaker and immediately start listening. The connection and audio transmission are established via induction. Tablets can be operated via the twin pin plug supplied. Ideal for indoor and outdoor use. Battery life 4 to 5 hours, recharged via Mini USB connection. Can also be operated using 3 AA batteries (not included). Black with red bonnet stripes. Dimensions: 4¾" x 2?" x 1?". Imported.

MSRP$46.00

Heavy-duty backpack features double-lined entry pack, fleece-lined audio pocket with headphone exit port, and side mesh water bottle pockets. Integrated shoulder harness with neoprene grip handle and dual-side compression straps. Padded laptop sleeve fits most 15” laptops. Dimensions: 19”x12”x10”. Polyester. Imported.

MSRP$75.00

16 GB USB stick in the shape of the MINI car key, with red LED light ring. Black MINI lanyard included. Imported.

MSRP $46.00

1 - 10 of 10 Posts