MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I’m looking to get into auto cross and been toying with the idea of mini. I have little knowledge and experience of them except spirited driving in my friends GP2 which I suppose is the thing that has got me here.

I’ve seen a few cars, mainly standard Cooper S models ranging from 2004 -2011 so it covers both super charged and turbo variants.

I’d like also to use the car as daily as much as I can as I have a classic Porsche for special drives.

Now, I’ve seen a car which may or may not be suitable for the track as it’s been modified for the eh well track. I know nothing about these mods so if anyone could share some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Car is 2007 Cooper S

N14 engine with a new K04 turbo.
Stage 1 Tune
Dyno numbers : 225 Bhp with 340 NM
Re-Machined, with balanced and ported heads.
Carrillo Pistons with a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio to handle more boost. Currently set at 25 PSI or 1.8 bar
MLS head gasket
New timing chain kit with guides and tensioner.
Front and rear main seals.
KING main and rod bearings.
Thrust bearings.
ARP head bolt set.
ARP main bolt set.
Crank bolt set
Intake and exhaust cam bolts and valve seals to rebuild the head
Gasket install kit
New oil pump, chain, gear and bolts
New clutch.
New light weight fly wheel
Forge Intercooler
Forge Intake hoses
New Diverter Valve
Coolant pipes

Apart from these parts what else should I look for? I’ve read about timing chains, fuel pumps.

thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hello all!

I’m looking to get into auto cross and been toying with the idea of mini. I have little knowledge and experience of them except spirited driving in my friends GP2 which I suppose is the thing that has got me here.

I’ve seen a few cars, mainly standard Cooper S models ranging from 2004 -2011 so it covers both super charged and turbo variants.

I’d like also to use the car as daily as much as I can as I have a classic Porsche for special drives.

Now, I’ve seen a car which may or may not be suitable for the track as it’s been modified for the eh well track. I know nothing about these mods so if anyone could share some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Car is 2007 Cooper S

Stage 1 Tune
Re-Machined, with balanced and ported heads.
Carrillo Pistons with a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio to handle more boost. Currently set at 25 PSI or 1.8 bar
MLS head gasket
Thrust bearings.
ARP head bolt set.
ARP main bolt set.
Crank bolt set
Gasket install kit
New clutch.
Forge Intercooler
Forge Intake hoses
New Diverter Valve
Coolant pipes

Apart from these parts what else should I look for? I’ve read about timing chains, fuel pumps.

thanks
Hi mate, autocross is a great thing to watch and I'm sure a mini would be a hell of a lot of fun to use.

Couple if things stick out. On the spec you've mentioned those numbers are very low. With a decat and walnut blast my stock engine at the time made 235bhp. Are those figures meant to be at the wheels?
Second thing is that's a lot of boost to be running, especially given the low power output.

Can't fault the parts used they're quality parts. Just maybe get the car checked out and maybe dynoed to see what's the real performance as I suspect it's more than what you've been told.

I'm sure someone with racing experience and more mechanical knowledge will be along soon. Good luck with the autocross plan!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I’ll see if I can find out why it’s running the power it is and report back.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello all!

Car is 2007 Cooper S

Stage 1 Tune
Re-Machined, with balanced and ported heads. Engine was bored and balanced with new CP pistons?
Carrillo Pistons with a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio to handle more boost. Currently set at 25 PSI or 1.8 bar 77.5mm Dia pistons?
MLS head gasket Gasket thickness? and were either head or block "shaved" to ensure flatness?
Thrust bearings.
ARP head bolt set.
ARP main bolt set.
Crank bolt set
Gasket install kit
New clutch.
Forge Intercooler
Forge Intake hoses
New Diverter Valve
Coolant pipes

thanks
Couple questions added in the quoted text above, marked in red.

If all these parts have already been installed, it should be ready for a stage 2 tune.
How long ago was the head worked on --- is it ready for a walnut blast?
Was all the non-machine shop work done by the owner or a reputable shop --- workmanship?
Are there any residual codes being thrown?
With the low dyno numbers, are there any oil or coolant leaks?
What are the compression numbers? Should be a max of 10 - 15 PSI variation.
Are receipts available to verify mods that can't be seen?
How long ago (miles or Km) were the mods performed?

These look like power / reliability only mods. A track car should also have improved suspension, brakes, and tires. Did the owner remove them or is this a "work-in-progress" car and he's saving these for last?

Lots to consider --- a re-built engine is a big plus for an N14, IF the workmanship is acceptable. Not all of us have the patience or knowledge to re-build them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts