MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
That's you, that is.
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some may already be aware, my stock cam has pretty much had it, so I’m looking at options. Ideal world, I’d bring forward my plans for the usual Catcam-550s-tune combo, but financially that’s at least a year away. So my options as I see them are are:

1) Go for the cheap option; buy a used stock cam and start saving for the above, or,
2) Fit a mild cam (thinking Newman 1/2) for now, to be sold on when I can afford the above.

That’s about all I can stretch to at the moment! Therefore, I guess I’m asking:

1) Am I likely to see enough of a difference from a mild cam on its own to justify spending 4-5 times the cost of a used stock one?
2) Is it a Bad Idea to fit even a mild cam without a map, especially considering that I don’t have any means of measuring AFR at the moment.

My engine is currently standard other than a 15% pulley. For reference, here’s the dyno from when the pulley was fitted- AFR seems to be creeping up towards the end, which might make letting more air in a bad thing.

Grateful for any opinions and advice!

·
Premium Member
10,020 Posts
Lob a 250-400 in it with 380's and a 210 tune. I know it's the hobo route but it works. My car made just shy of 200whp on this combo with perfect afr's and it pulled like stink

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
a map for a mild cam is less essential than a map for a 15% pulley, all JCW's have a map which is due to the pulley and slightly better breathing, the pulley really is making most of the difference, so if you were happy running a 15 with no map you needn't worry so much about a mild cam in comparison.....but.... a cam will accentuate the affect a pulley has, so AFR will change further most likely, maybe not by much or in the same place, but these two single components can represent typically the biggest power changes the engine is going to see, added together the performance difference would be noticeable, how exactly, is down to the cam type, the overall combination of parts, engine condition, and your input.

·
That's you, that is.
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lob a 250-400 in it with 380's and a 210 tune. I know it's the hobo route but it works. My car made just shy of 200whp on this combo with perfect afr's and it pulled like stink
Can you put the 210 map on a pre-FL?

·
That's you, that is.
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the plunge and ordered a Newman PH2 while Orranje has them on sale! Now I just need to source a set of injectors and a programming cable, unless I can use my INPA one?

·
Premium Member
10,020 Posts
I have first day facelift, so it has the pre face ECU, and I couldn't find a 210 file that I thought would work :(
You need the genuine file. It's part number is in the thread I mentioned earlier. Forget about trying to upload files ripped from other people's ECU's. The correct process is to write the software as if you were installing a blank ecu. Autologic terminals can do this, I'm not sure about other diagnostic equipment

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
You need the genuine file. It's part number is in the thread I mentioned earlier. Forget about trying to upload files ripped from other people's ECU's. The correct process is to write the software as if you were installing a blank ecu. Autologic terminals can do this, I'm not sure about other diagnostic equipment
Is this the one?

·
Premium Member
10,020 Posts
Is this the one?

That's the puppy

·
That's you, that is.
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some folks seem to have had success over here:

https://www.minitorque.com/threads/r53-cam-injector-tune-combos.177577/

My car’s an early 04 pre-facelift, so I have that going for me. Still a risk though, granted.

Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to run my PH2 with stock injectors and map for a bit until I can scrape together the cash for someone with Autologic to flash it properly?

·
Premium Member
10,020 Posts
Some folks seem to have had success over here:

https://www.minitorque.com/threads/r53-cam-injector-tune-combos.177577/

My car’s an early 04 pre-facelift, so I have that going for me. Still a risk though, granted.

Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to run my PH2 with stock injectors and map for a bit until I can scrape together the cash for someone with Autologic to flash it properly?
Itll run fine,just don't get in the habit of running g it up to the limiter at every occasion. For reference, I paid £60for my autologic flash, which takes about 40mins

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
I'm pretty sure I can do this with my Autel, I might try the 200 map on my pre fl car that has a pulley

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
yes, I have seen that, I'm pretty sure it will, it does all software updates, CIP programming and coding, a load of stuff in option coding was recently added for BMW/MINI too in one of the updates, Mini not shown so much here but mostly the same, similar for other makes, I should have tried this before as it's money to be earned. Some indy's charge over £80 for fault code checks then the same again for option coding and more, CIP updates are not so cheap, I need to start using it more haha

·
That's you, that is.
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Itll run fine,just don't get in the habit of running g it up to the limiter at every occasion. For reference, I paid £60for my autologic flash, which takes about 40mins
Would I be safer if I fitted 380 injectors ASAP? Granted that they’ll overfuel without a map, but better rich than lean, right?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts