MiniTorque.com banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
#R53orGTFO
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I tried to change the title ages ago but it seems that only admin/mod is able to do that...:confused1: The pile of parts starts to be alarming, "carage" weekend needed ASAP in the spring. Or I'll just take a tent and squat at your place when it's warmer and do the work :laugh:

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,408 Posts
I tried to change the title ages ago but it seems that only admin/mod is able to do that...:confused1: The pile of parts starts to be alarming, "carage" weekend needed ASAP in the spring. Or I'll just take a tent and squat at your place when it's warmer and do the work :laugh:
You can sleep in the sauna, it's hard to pitch a tent on solid rock that forms the basis of my garden.

·
#R53orGTFO
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
MTGF 2020 track day calendar is getting slowly more dates, with 5 events confirmed as of now and more to come. Will also include a trip to Sweden and probably also to Estonia.

I must say that I miss driving the Mini. It's been in storage for 3 months now, 3 to 4 months still to go. In the meantime I've been collecting some parts and not long ago I received the Bytetronik FA53. I got a good deal on black friday and just couldn't resist. I know standalone would have been better but in my case it'll do the job and won't have any issues during the yearly MOT as they do scan the OBD codes. Right now I'm missing a cam but I'll get that before the spring. Also will have a facelift ecu swap (mine is an early facelift with the ems2000 ecu unfortunately). Cant wait to start using e85 :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Maybe just leave that big spring disconnected at the rear post and you'll likely be super happy (the ones in the box already are easily sufficient). Also perhaps apply lube like a spray grease, and check tightness of the bolt you can see on the side into the housing, and Loctite it and certainly the nut on the back as you check/set 'pinch' of this lever, just enough to allow unhindered return to centre under the selector shaft's spring weight, it can work slightly loose in use just having a nyloc nut, allowing the pivot arm to tilt before it moves the neutral cable, adding lash. It's a good time to clean and lube the linkage on the box too and rotate the plastic cube bearing the neutral linkage uses to push down and raise the selector shaft which gets rid of even more lash ;O)

Good move on the ByteTroniK too ;O)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe just leave that big spring disconnected at the rear post and you'll likely be super happy (the ones in the box already are easily sufficient). Also perhaps apply lube like a spray grease, and check tightness of the bolt you can see on the side into the housing, and Loctite it and certainly the nut on the back as you check/set 'pinch' of this lever, just enough to allow unhindered return to centre under the selector shaft's spring weight, it can work slightly loose in use just having a nyloc nut, allowing the pivot arm to tilt before it moves the neutral cable, adding lash. It's a good time to clean and lube the linkage on the box too and rotate the plastic cube bearing the neutral linkage uses to push down and raise the selector shaft which gets rid of even more lash ;O)

Good move on the ByteTroniK too ;O)
Can you explain further or have a photo of rotating the plastic gear selector? Not quite sure what you mean, would like to do this myself if you recommend it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Ok, several things, check this rectangular bush isn't broken, it probably isn't but can have bits missing, a crack is ok and fairly common,

This is the little cube, you can see a wear step on the top? This is caused by the gear selector linkage running along either side when corroded/rough/unlubricated over time, as the cube is also pushed against the top and bottom of that linkages groove every time you use the 1/2 gate (top) or 5/6 gate (bottom). The cube's hole also gets elongated from doing this over years of use and zero lubrication. Rotate it 90deg. This should be greased every few months ideally to maintain most direct lever feel in the long term.

This is under the pivot for the gear selector linkage, just remove, clean, inspect and grease it also.

While you're here, take a look at the gear selector cables, the gaiters at the ends if original will be perished and typically detached at the clip ends. It's a good idea to try and get some oil down these as this allows weather in, ATF is good, if the gaiters aren't totally rotten you can sometimes use them as a funnel, otherwise get an assistant to work through all gates and gears as you drop some in ;O)

Never heard of this? Part of every service I do, and every clutch, every engine removal, every gear cable etc. Freer = Faster ;O)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks a lot, appreciate it! That white rectangular one, I remember the other day giving it a wiggle and the arm seemed quite loose. Is this normal?
I'll do all that you suggested there, some good tips

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
they do move in there a bit, that one is only the fore/aft movement so matters slightly less, you might see the pin has worn the sides of it a little curved, best to have a closer look but I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the surround unless you have a better one to fit as they're not likely to come out easily and intact, also the bush underneath the linkage could be worn.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Yes, well at least they're on realoem, so new bits will suit some people but simply turning the cube works as it's turned onto an unused area, unless it's been turned before of course but unlikely. If renewing the weighted linkage then I'd fit a new cube but otherwise no need really. The cube is shown on it's own or the insert I think as an assembly RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

161 - 173 of 173 Posts