MiniTorque.com banner

141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
ATE Super Blue is now called Typ 200 & is golden coloured as the 'septics don't think brake fluid should be blue in case you confuse it with anti-freeze.
Thanks, ours is still blue this end
Just labelled “not for road use” to get around it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
ATE's own website doesn't show Super Blue at all.

My understanding is that it changed around 3 years ago, so if you have any "new stock" now I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
As long as it's an unopened bottle...

I'm using RBF600. Stock JCW fronts with XP8's and Nitracs. I have the hobo brake ducts (piping just from fog light holes to wheel wells) and I'm no longer melting spigot rings, just the center caps...

Bleeding is like with any car. Unless you manage to drain the whole system, or let the reservoir run empty while bleeding. Then you'll need to bleed the abs pump/block somehow. BMW INPA can be used for that, it has a feature that activates the pump.

It's always nice to drive with other Minis. Too bad the only stint where my in-car camera wasn't recording, was the one where I was driving behind tcbw with the intention to get him on film. :sad:

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Not all hydraulic fluids are hydroscopic, but most brake fluids are (dot 5 is the exception). But a sealed unopened bottle will be fine. Opened on the other hand... wouldn't use after a few months, although I think manufacturers specify two years (which coincidentally is also the recommended brake fluid change interval for R53).

·
#R53orGTFO
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
But the tent still proved useful preventing sun burns. Thanks for bringing it!

And the noises from your mani & decat at full chat... :thumbup:
I'll be bringing the tent to the next track days :thumbup1: If there is no sun then there will be rain

If I can't be fast on the track then I try to be the loudest :laugh:

Brilliant outing guys, it must be so much fun to be able to have a handful of you there at the same time

Guys, I have my first track day next weekend in my GP, would you mind if I picked your brains for some advice please?

What brake fluid do you guys use out of interest? I was looking at the ATE super blue for its bang for buck being good.
We have a really good bunch here and it is always fun when at the track or garage together :thumbup:

I'm running just some basic Brembo DOT 4 liquid. I had some issues on the track day before due to not bleeding the brakes properly as there was some air left. But now they feel much better. Still I'll probably flush the system once more before winter. Don't know how old the liquid was and some nasty stuff came out at first.
I wanted to use the blue ATE but as someone already mentioned, it was banned sometime ago.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Where have you found Super Blue Ryan please? I have absolutely no problem using that stuff and have it in superbikes. The USA are to thank for it being pulled from the marketplace because of the colour alone. Yes it is hygroscopic but lid on, done up and kept in the right place it lasts for ages, I only have enough to use in the bikes now and my S's and will happily buy any new tins of it if I can find any. I am aware some sellers are advertising Super Blue but give you TYP200 as blue isn't allowed so let me know mate if you are certain it's blue because I'll use it.

Failing that Ryan RBF600 is pretty popular, you can use a standard bleeding method or pressure bleed. It isn't essential to vent the hydro unit. The best time to bleed is with new pads, or pistons held back, whichever.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Thanks for the help gents, much appreciated.
I will give the bleed a go with my usual laser pressure bleeder then

Unfortunately Sean I just have the two tins left out of a load I bought some time ago.

As I used to switch between the super blue and another brand (millers generally) between changes on my mx5. As I found it really easy to see when the new fluid came through due to the colour change.

If I find some mate I will give you a shout

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Personally I wouldn't as hydraulic fluid is hydroscopic & you will only know it has infused water when it boils................ :scared:
You can buy tester which show water content, not sure how accurate they are though...

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
True, depends if you've got a decent bleeder, a helper, and can be arsed lifting the car up and pulling the wheels off... ;)

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,408 Posts
I'm running Motul RBF600 in both cars. It's easy to pick up at Motonet around here.

It was good to get back to Alastaro with MTGF boys, as I haven't been there in the R53 in ages. It's amazing how quickly you forget the lines, and the new configuration of the last corner/final complex took some getting used to. We could come in hard, drop down to 2nd, turn in late, and power out using the diff. The BMWs however seemed to exit the final corner on a totally different tangent, mostly understeering badly right out to the egde of the track. Well, except for that blue spaceframe racecar...

It was hot as hell too, 29c on the track, which was good for grip, if not power.

·
#R53orGTFO
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
This hasn't been updated for a while. But also nothing major has happened. I've driven it daily and went to the track several times, including the trip to Sweden. I tried to polish it with a cheapo DA I bought with decent results, maybe will give it a try also next year.
Next month is the Finnish Mini club track day, for me the end of the season. After that I'll take it to storage for winter as I bought a daily. Some plans for 2020 are being made but they'll probably change several times during the next months...
Also the MOT is due next Monday, will have to fit a cat before that as it probably won't pass the emissions test as is :laugh:

·
#R53orGTFO
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Mini has passed the Finnish MOT without any issues with the cat installed. After that I went to the Mini club track day and with that it would be 5 times I have been on the track this year, not bad I'd say. Let's see if for next year I can do even better.
Most probably next weekend I'm taking it to storage until April or May. List of things to do is getting longer, probably the parts pile is going to grow. Hopefully during the spring I'll install the parts bought in 2018... ::getcoat::

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,408 Posts
You're going to need to change your title [Micke's summertime tracker?], if this thing is going to marinade in storage for the whole winter along with your ever-growing stash of parts.

141 - 160 of 173 Posts