MiniTorque.com banner

121 - 140 of 206 Posts

·
#R53orGTFO
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Like a week ago I told myself that I have to stop spending money on the Mini and put it into a piggy bank towards something else.

I have no idea how the hell this happened :confused1:

They come from a JDM Evo 7. Filthy as hell but with a good clean should look decent :thumbup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Like a week ago I told myself that I have to stop spending money on the Mini and put it into a piggy bank towards something else.

I have no idea how the hell this happened :confused1:

They come from a JDM Evo 7. Filthy as hell but with a good clean should look decent :thumbup:
Awesome seats buddy!! I keep trying to save money for other things but it keeps appearing in my mini funds account

·
#R53orGTFO
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Thanks! I've been following the local ads in case if something interesting appeared but with no intention to buy. But when I saw these I was immediately interested :D The seller brought them to me to have a look and the deal was done. As I told before, they do need a good clean after being in storage for 2 years according to the seller. But the winter is long so no hurry with that. Now I just have to figure out how to install them in the Mini :)

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Nice seats, I was after some earlier in the year when surprisingly they were abundant and reasonably cheap, recently went from being after some to actively trying to buy a pair, very little available and incredibly expensive. Ended up buying Corbeau recliner instead.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
On past experience, it'll only take three or four attempts (including one in the paddock at Ahvenisto) to get these installed. Easy peasy. Lonkero all round.

·
#R53orGTFO
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I can't see the picture sadly, but in here is some evo seats in a mini

https://www.minitorque.com/forum/f22/ultimate-bucket-seat-thread-24569/

Not sure how he fitted them though
That picture made me think about buying the Evo seats :) I messaged with Madnick before making the decision. He has made the adapters himself and attached them to the stock rails. Probably would go that way if I had the space and tools needed. Recaro sells some adapters that fit the stock rails.

But Recaro Japan sells the whole assembly, no need to use the stock rails. Also Bride and Juran make rails that fit the R53. Decisions, decisions...

·
#R53orGTFO
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I've been doing some research about the installing the seats I've bought. it looks like Recaro does make the aftermarket and OEM seats with different bolt pattern, maybe to avoid people swapping the seats with ease? Don't know...
Below you'll see the difference between aftermarket Recaro Sportline/Trendline. Worth mentioning that the Evo 6 seats have yet another pattern :confused1:

So the seats won't be p&p to the Recaro adapters sold in EU but from what I see there should be enough material to make holes for the different pattern. But before buying them I'll have to be sure as they cost 135€ per seat :blink: But after looking at the pictures of the adapters above I think it should be doable. So if anyone of you owns Recaro adapters 68.83.19 or 68.83.29 please write me a PM :)

So after seeing the differences in the bolt pattern I ditched the idea of buying Bride or Juran rails from Japan because they wouldn't fit the seats either. And after shipping and all the taxes would also be more expensive than the adapters.

·
#R53orGTFO
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Haven't updated the topic lately but not so much has happened as it is winter. Some more parts have arrived and the stash is getting bigger. Here are the latest arrivals

Janspeed manifold, Samco intake hose and R56 front calipers and stock R53 rears to match the fronts. I have also bought an OMP wheel hub as I got a great deal. I still got a Momo Montecarlo steering wheel that I have owned for a really long time, time to use it.

First track day of 2019 will be in May and I hope to have all the parts installed before that. We'll most probably have a install night/weekend with the chaps from MTGF, that should be fun :laugh: Looking forward to that.

Here are the parts that have to be installed:
- rear control arms
- rear ARB
- brakes
- manifold
- seats

and do some preventive maintenance to try to avoid some headaches. Also bought a DA polisher, let's see what kind of damage I can do with that thing :lol:

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
Hey Micke, have you cooled down enough to write a report on the fucken MINI carage weekend? I thought it was quite successful, but we should have brought some more Snickers... :laugh:

·
#R53orGTFO
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
What can I say, it was a rather interesting and exciting weekend in Turku. Saturday in the morning I first went to tcbw's house to take some measurements of the stock seats to get my Recaro project going. After that we headed towards Turku and after around 2 hour drive DoubleP was already waiting for us. After a short while JKo arrived and we started to work on the fucking Minis. It was no surprise that mine hit the lift first and unfortunately stayed there for a longer time... First thing oil change, went smoothly, after that I started to fiddle with the leaking power steering. Replaced the return pipe and part of the fluid. At the same time DoubleP and JKo were working on getting the exhaust manifold out. Some of the bolts didn't want to come out but after some swearing all came out. After installing the manifold and decat pipe, we realized that the manifold was a bit shorter than the stock one. Midpipe was moved a bit and it fit pretty well. After that it was time for the brakes, R56 setup on the front and refurbished calipers on the rear to match the yellow fronts. That also was not as easy as I pictured. On one side the disc bolt was stuck and DoubleP was drilling that bastard out during and hour or so. On the other side the disc was seized to the hub. Hammer didn't help, then someone wise said to try a bigger hammer and brought the biggest one available and the rest was history.
When the Mini was half ready, we all wanted to hear it without the cat. It sounded well but after a few seconds I noticed that it was leaking oil from the underneath. Thea oil canister seal (new) disintegrated itself and made a huge mess... I was properly pissed and after cleaning it we decided to call it a night and bleed the brakes next morning before heading to the dyno. Before dinner it was time to put DoubleP's R53 back in shape, that also took a bit longer than expected :lol: After that day I was wasted and when the guys were having some fun, I decided to call it a day and went to sleep.

Next morning back to the garage and it was time to put the Mini back together, brakes were bled and hydraulic fluid added. Mini started and sounded ridiculous with the decat and no leaking oil this time. Here's a quick pic of the Mini's outside the workshop

After that we headed to the dyno which I passed, will wait for the 550's to be installed and tuned so I'll be on the safe side.

As tcbw, it was successful even if all the parts haven't been installed. Next time the rear Whiteline arb and Hardrace control arms have to be installed. Must say that I'm looking forward to it:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
#R53orGTFO
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Last saturday was the first track day for me in 2019. It was organized by BTCF (Bimmer club) but Mini owners are also welcome. The MTGF bunch was well represented (DoubleP, JKo, tcbw and me). My first concern after arriving was the technical inspection that included db measurement. To my surprise with the de-cat and resonated cat back it was only 81db at 4500rpm :blink: It was quieter than last autumn with the stock manifold in place (84db). I think the machine didn't work as it should. Tcbw has been driving behind to the track and can confirm that the car is loud :laugh:
To be honest, the Mini was not really prepared for the track as I still have some minor issues with the brakes and wasn't going to do many laps. But for the laps I did, DoubleP hoppedn in as codriver and probably had the scariest drive of his life. I learned a lot about the correct lines on this track (Ahvenisto) and the difference in speed before and after was substantial. I would loved to do more laps but in less than 3 weeks there's another BTCF track day, this time in Alastaro circuit and hopefully the brakes will be sorted out until then. I have some new rear discs, just waiting for the pads. Brake fluid has been also changed (DOT4) and just needs to be bled.
Here are couple of shots from Saturday. The car park was dominated by all sorts of BMW's ::getcoat::

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
Confirmed, we did have a chuckle as you went through the tunnel at Hameenlinna, and suddenly dropped a gear and nailed it.

I think I need a spot of tuition, as this track is so involved, it has so many tricky corners, off cambers, slippery bits and kerbs to clip.

·
#R53orGTFO
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Next track day is on Saturday and I had some time to take care of the brakes as they were not working well, there was still air in the system. At the same time decided to take care of the rear brakes. I know they have been done before I bought the car (almost 2 years ago) but now with the new calipers the discs just looked crappy. To go with the discs I bought some Carbotech AX6 pads. The install was supposed to be done fast but forgot that I have studs so it took a bit longer... After installing and bleeding the brakes, it was time to install the Hardrace rear control arms but I failed miserably. The inner bolt/nut would not move and after a longer while I gave up. Will try to tackle them next time when installing the Whiteline ARB as the subframe will be dropped and probably give better access to the bolts. Or am I wrong? What was weird to me was that on all the pictures the nut from the bolt was facing towards the rear of the car, like in the picture below. But in mine it was the opposite :confused1:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Next track day is on Saturday and I had some time to take care of the brakes as they were not working well, there was still air in the system. At the same time decided to take care of the rear brakes. I know they have been done before I bought the car (almost 2 years ago) but now with the new calipers the discs just looked crappy. To go with the discs I bought some Carbotech AX6 pads. The install was supposed to be done fast but forgot that I have studs so it took a bit longer... After installing and bleeding the brakes, it was time to install the Hardrace rear control arms but I failed miserably. The inner bolt/nut would not move and after a longer while I gave up. Will try to tackle them next time when installing the Whiteline ARB as the subframe will be dropped and probably give better access to the bolts. Or am I wrong? What was weird to me was that on all the pictures the nut from the bolt was facing towards the rear of the car, like in the picture below. But in mine it was the opposite :confused1:
Soak the bolts in Plusgas. I did that on mine and they came undone no problem at all. Bolts on mine were also that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
#R53orGTFO
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I think I mentioned it couple of posts earlier that I'd be attending another track day soon. This time it was held in Alastaro circuit, which was 1 first time for me.

In the morning it was an early start for me an DTR to get to the track in the morning to get some "sightseeing" laps. Unfortunately we failed miserably...

A shot from the road, it was getting warm already in the early hours.

Here already at the track Mini owners corner set up

After couple of hours these 2 chaps appeared almost the same time even if they were coming from different directions (JKo and tcbw)

Quick pic of the group (DTR, me, JKo and tcbw). tcbw was eager to leave to the track so had to rush with the picture :D

Bad picture of JKo chasing tcbw

It was a good day. Felt much more confident on this track comparing to Ahvenisto as there is space in case if you get off the track, in Ahvenisto you just have walls and a pond :laugh: tcbw hopped on the passenger seat and gave me some tips on lines and braking points. This time the brakes felt much better and the pedal was not going all the way to the floor. After 5 or 6 laps the Mini felt as if it was floating, the tyres could not handle the heat (Conti sport 5). For the next season I'll get something more track oriented, this summer will have to go with what I have. Next track BTCF track day in Alastaro will be in August, probably will attend that one also. Next month is the trip to Sweden, cant wait!

Pic from Huittinen on the way to dinner.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
It was a good day at the track. They had changed the standard layout slightly (track has multiple layouts), and the asphalt was all new giving a lot more grip, so it was somewhat new experience for me too. Luckily the forecasted rainstorm didn't hit us until we got to Tim's mökki in the evening. But the tent still proved useful preventing sun burns. Thanks for bringing it!

And the noises from your mani & decat at full chat... :thumbup:

PS. looks like my wheels have changed colour in the last pic :laugh:

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Brilliant outing guys, it must be so much fun to be able to have a handful of you there at the same time
I really jealous of that, as it’s always more fun when your with equally matched cars

Guys, I have my first track day next weekend in my GP, would you mind if I picked your brains for some advice please?

What brake fluid do you guys use out of interest? I was looking at the ATE super blue for its bang for buck being good.

The other consideration was the Motil RBF 600, but this is twice the price.

I only have stock JCW brakes and pads, so I’m thinking a high performance fluid change might be worth while.

I assume bleeding is a standard process, we don’t need to be able to activate the ABS module to perform a full bleed?

I may try and cut the front fake fog ducts to make them operational, see if that helps also.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
ATE Super Blue is now called Typ 200 & is golden coloured as the 'septics don't think brake fluid should be blue in case you confuse it with anti-freeze.

121 - 140 of 206 Posts