MiniTorque.com banner
261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Baguette
2,151 Posts
It was running lean and @JKo brought me a working FPR to see if it was the cause. When I took the fuel rail out, I noticed that the oring of one injector seals was broken. We made a short trip and bought some spares, installed everything and went to the track to take some logs. Unfortunately it was still lean so my driving ended there.
Next spring I’ll replace the fuel pump and hopefully the issue will be solved.
Yeah, fueling was acting really weird. It stays lean (~15:1) at full throttle until about 3500-4000rpm, then slopes down to 13:1 and starts rising again at around 5000rpm. And it does that regardles of the changes we made in the fuel map.

I think measuring the fuel pressure would give a good indication of what is going on. But doing that while driving (under load) might be a bit difficult, especially as we don't have the equipment... are there any affordable tester gauges available?

·
Mr. White Shoes
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
I think it's fair to say that everyone's been feeling Micke's knob, and we all want one. It might take a bit of getting used to, and it might annoy in traffic (?) but I imagine that when you're really on it, it's magic.
I got used to it very quickly. As the lever is so close to the steering wheel, it reminded me of the civic EP3 :D

Yeah, fueling was acting really weird. It stays lean (~15:1) at full throttle until about 3500-4000rpm, then slopes down to 13:1 and starts rising again at around 5000rpm. And it does that regardles of the changes we made in the fuel map.

I think measuring the fuel pressure would give a good indication of what is going on. But doing that while driving (under load) might be a bit difficult, especially as we don't have the equipment... are there any affordable tester gauges available?
I've done some research and the adapter that fits the stock rail is the same as for most of the BMW engines. I have found a set that would fit for 40€ but the hose is short so it would mean to drive around without the bonnet :D In any case, the current fuel pump is 18 years old and I'll replace it anyway as part of the preventative maintenance. If it won't work, I'll sell the whole damn thing to the MTGF vultures for 50€ or f*ck off! @tcbw @JKo @DoubleP @DTR

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
You're in a lovely place - I visited Saariselka in January a few years ago and it was the most peaceful place I've ever visited (got to about -30 with windchill IIRC, I'm sure it gets colder!). Driving on those roads though, I'm sure you get used to it!

·
Mr. White Shoes
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Well 6 months have passed and the Shitbox is still in the same barn. Beginning of May I’ll be bringing it home and try to have it partially ready (more on that later) for the Estonian trip in June. 3 days of talking bollocks and 1 whole day on the track 👍🏻
As for the repairs, I have a ”new” radiator to go in, together with new coolant hoses, thermostat and alloy housing. Also the timing chain is waiting it’s turn and a 2nd hand ATI crank pulley will be installed. Also the fuelpump has to go in, I already installed the new/upgraded pump in a spare assembly I got from @DoubleP

And the job I’m not looking forward to is to replace both rear brake pipes. I got already the OEM replacement from dealer, quite long the bastards. From what I saw it’s a tank down job, hopefully will be able to do in 1 day.. Good that I’m not in a rush to get it done, MOT is in September.

Plenty of things to do and not do much time. Fingers crossed I won’t have too many headaches while wrenching.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,451 Posts
you don't need the tank down really, it just means some careful bending and bending back as one feeds the pipe in, actually it's the exhaust in the way more, but even that's not necessary to remove really, certainly easier dropped down though with the shielding,

if you spray the pipe wherever it clips in there's perhaps a better chance you can tease the clips back to release their grip on the pipe without breaking them,

what I would say though, is if you get pipe benders, don't get the type with the angle/s cast into it, maybe use the roller version instead, as it is less likely to dig into the plastic coating of the pipe and is just a lot easier to use, although leaves a very slightly more generous radius

Reactions: JKo and Micke

·
Mr. White Shoes
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Thanks @CarsOrBikes! I have to say that I quietly wanted to get some info from you 😃 Is it doable without a lift? With the Mini only on jack stands?
If the exhaust hangers are not totally rusted, it should come off quickly. And regarding the tank, from what I saw it’s not rocket science either (famous last words?). Too bad I live very far away, would be delighted to leave that job to someone else 😁

·
Mr. White Shoes
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Brought the Mini home after 8 months in storage. After brining it home, on of the rear wheels had probably 6-7 degrees pf camber, caised by a loose Hardrace arm, no idea how that happened.
I started to do some cleaning of the parts that have been marinating in the parts pile for 6 months and over. First I replaced the rear tail lights for a LED version, not my cup of tea but still better than cracked OEM’s.

Yesterday it was a normal Sunday: worked around 5 hours on the shitbox to install a Mishimoto radiator I had, replace the coolant hoses with new OE spec ones, I installed a new thermostat and and alloy thermostat housing. Coolant looked like swamp water, flushed it couple of times and yo finish it up put some new coolant. Now the temp on normal driving stays below 90. But not everything went according to the plan. Struggled with some bolts, snapped few of them.

I still have to replace the fuel pump, have that also waiting here. Maybe one evening I’ll swap it and maybe it will help with the leaning issue I have struggled with.

Hopefully next weekend I’ll replace the timing chain and install an ATI damper that I’ve had for couple of years. After that the rear brake pipes and hopefully it will be realiable in a R53 way 😁

More often I’m thinking of getting rid of this thing… 😬

·
Mr. White Shoes
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
As planned, today was the day for some more work that was long due. The Mini got a new timing chain kit, new oil pump rotors, Kavs idler pulley, ATI super damper and a set of OEM snoot boots (one had some cracks).
Mine is a early facelift (7/2004) bit it still had the old style crank pulley. The rubber was still in good shape but it looked as if something was leaking from the inside of it, strange.
With some help it took around 5 hours and that included some BBQ. Nice touch to keep your mind of the shitbox.
Before the Estonian trip that @tcbw mentioned, I still have to replace the fuel pump. Fortunetaly that should not be a big job to do 🤞🏻
Did not use time to take pics so here are some very bad ones
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Font Rim

Crankset Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Mr. White Shoes
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 · (Edited)
5-6 hours without a hurry, not bad after just seeing how it’s done on youtube.
@DTR came to have a look what was all the fuss about and there was some Argentinian muscle man doing part of the work and later he was the responsible for BBQ operations.
After driving the car home, I have not moved it. Fuel pump is still waiting for it’s turn but it’s raining when I would have time to do it.

·
Mr. White Shoes
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
Not very motivated but with 1 only thing pending the Estonian trip, I decided to get it done and have some time for troubleshooting if required. So it was the time to take care of the fuel pump. No real symptoms which would point to it being weak, only not enough fuel on wide open throttle in the lower rpm, independently of how much fuel you add in the table.
Our small Finnish R53 community is working well. I got a spare fuel pump assembly from @DoubleP and the required gasket from @DTR
Before the install, I decided to replace the stock pump in the assembly with a APS 265 pump. VAG fitment but is plug and play in the R53. Installed, primed the pump and noticed that it is a little louder and makes a different noise, not a problem for me.
Car started without any issues and ran for a while, success. Unfortunately it started raining so did not go for a drive to see the AFR. Fingers crossed it solved the issue and it can be properly mapped soon.

Here’s a pic of when I replaced the stock pump with the APS unit.
Tableware Liquid Dishware Kitchen utensil Serveware

·
Mr. White Shoes
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
The Mini made it back in one piece from our small Estonian trip. Everything worked well, just needs some fueling adjustments which I’ll try to figure out during the summer.
First time since the cam install last year I was able to rev it freely and does it pull in the upper revs, unbelievable comparing to stock! Liked the track very much and was able to do a decent time. Looking forward for nezt visit to the Porschering in Pärnu.
When it comes to repairs and mods, I still have the rear brakepipe replacement to be done before next MOT (beginning of September) and some minor mods to be installed: baffled sump and a pair of cabrio braces that I got from a scrapyard during vacation. Other than that, some minor external enhancements are planned (painting bits to lose the chrome) and maybe some R56 rear trailing arms. But time will tell…

261 - 280 of 291 Posts