MiniTorque.com banner
241 - 260 of 266 Posts

·
Bugger
25,426 Posts
I have yet to check Porsche owners but I’m sure they will not be far behind
They will have an argument over weather or not its 1 a modification and 2 if its N rated...

Reactions: JKo

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,725 Posts
They will have an argument over whether or not its 1 a modification and 2 if its N rated...
And then they'll spend 10k on interior carbon fibre bits, on top of the costs of a GT3 front bumper and a massive wing - on a Carrera.

·
Hobo Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Not much happening here. The Mini is not getting used regularly and once the battery was empty after 4 weeks in the same spot. Last month I had the steering wheel retrimmed in leather and alcantara, gave a nice touch to the interior. Today in the morning took it for MOT and it went well, only the rear brake lines have seen better days and will have to be replaced as they do have some rust on them. Other than that, a clean bill of health. I still have some parts that have been marinating in the stash for couple of years so it's probably time to get them installed, just need some motivation to get it done.

·
Hobo Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Cam, afr gauge, ATI damper, chain kit and some smaller stuff for the engine bay like new PS tank and Powerflex insert. List of things to buy was long but to be honest I just want to install what I have and drive it. Maybe I’ll fall in love with it once again instead of thinking to sell it every 2nd day 😁

·
Hobo Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Yesterday finally decided to do something. Ended up changing the oil, installing the Innovate AFR gauge with sensor and the last Powerflex insert. To my surprise, the gauge is working (I hate wiring...) and the Powerflex insert has not added any NVH, might be because of all the other stiff bushes and inserts I already had.
I have to put back the shelf under the steering wheel. The wire hanging is from the gauge to the Bytetronik dongle.

·
Hobo Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
Got my lazy ass to do something on the Mini. After having marinated in the part pile for almost 1,5 year it was time to get the catcam installed. It took around 2,5h to install it, going slowly. After it was installed, I started the car with the stock map. On the higher idle it worked quite nice, when it dropped the car started sputtering. Loaded another map with a higher idle and made it home without any issues. Now the fun part with tuning starts :ROFLMAO:
On idle it sounds deeper and the pops from the exhaust seems to be louder. I have not revved it above 2500rpm but it already felt different, cant wait until it's tuned and I'll be able to give it a proper hoon!

·
Hobo Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Your guess is as good as mine tbh :) At the moment it's getting lean at around 5000rpm so the cam does affect rather much the AFR. Good that I have some support when trying to change things.
But I have to say the cam has changed the midrange completely, keeps pulling nicely. Eager to see how it was closer to the redline.

·
Hobo Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
During the last week I took the Mini to work few times just to get a feel of it after the cam swap and take some logs for the map adjustment, driving on boost was close to none. You can feel the change after 2000rpm and when approaching traffic lights as few times it wanted to stall and also stalled couple of times. But this is apparently a feature of the Catcam. No problem for me, it’s rare that I drive it in the city.
On the other hand, I’m slowly getting used to the Bytetronik. I’ve made some minor changes to the map, good that I have a hotline with @JKo and @DoubleP who still answer to my silly questions 😅 Now I’ve got a new map tweaked by JKo, in the afternoon will take some logs and hopefully will be able to rev it a bit more, now it was running very lean.
Other than that I’m already thinking about ’22 as the season is coming to an end. In 2 weeks there will be a Mini Club trackday and after that the R53 goes to storage for winter. There are some minor cosmetic things that need sorting out: a hanging trim here, sagging bumper there, tail lights with low blinker fluid, etc.

·
Hobo Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
It has been quiet around here lately. Took the R53 for the last teackday of the year and it did not go as planned, in total made just 2 laps to log parameters and that was it.
Today I took it to storage for the winter and will bring it back in April-May. As always there’s plenty of things to get done, now I have few months to get motivated and look for parts.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Vehicle Flooring

·
Hobo Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
Sorry to hear Micke, what happened?
It was running lean and @JKo brought me a working FPR to see if it was the cause. When I took the fuel rail out, I noticed that the oring of one injector seals was broken. We made a short trip and bought some spares, installed everything and went to the track to take some logs. Unfortunately it was still lean so my driving ended there.
Next spring I’ll replace the fuel pump and hopefully the issue will be solved.

How was the coolerworx shifter ?are worth the money ?
I’ve had it couple of years and I like it, changes the feel a lot comparing to the stock shifter. @DTR has the same shifter installed and from what I know he’s been happy with it.
I bought it directly from Coolerworx during black friday.

241 - 260 of 266 Posts