MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm not too mechanical and want to minimise question-hassle to my mechanics

I've got an R53 with everything stock wheel/suspension-wise. I'd like to get smaller wheels (probably 16" - maybe 15") with chunkier (non-runflat) tyres. I want the car to be lowered as far as tyres allow and wheels out laterally for a stanced look.

E.g.1. https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1457/24973451615_255aa5fa44_b.jpg
E.g.2. http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a483/m1nsanity/10121812266_7c174347bf_b_zps9660ea10.jpg

What exactly are my options? Do I need new suspension - or can my stock be adjusted?
From my understanding the choice then seems to be either ET35ish wheels with spacers (cheap) vs. ET20ish wheels with camber arms (££)?

Or if anyone has any newbie-level guides, let them loose. I feel like mechanics expect you to tell them exactly what parts you want, but without prior experience I just annoy them and look like an idiot for 7-10 emails in a row.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
What do you use the car for?
And what is your budget?

There are alot of different ways to achieve "similar" task.
Some will be better, more comfortable, better performance, more expensive, etc.

The first thing we need to know is what is your budget.
If you got £2000, then you got loads of options.
If you only got £20, well then... it's angle grinder to the springs. (Just a joke, please don't do this. :p )

Jerrick

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,655 Posts
I'm guessing you just mean you want it to look good lowered: start with coilovers and spacers, then think about splashing out on new rims with crazy offsets. You'll need adjustable front top mounts, adjustable rear control arms to take care of the negative camber. APs seem to go pretty low, and they're a budget coilover. For a really wider track/lowered car, you'll need to trim and/or roll the arches. And trim the front lip as it'll scrape all the time.

·
Bugger
25,424 Posts
Screw all of that, couple of bags of cement and some paving slabs will give you the low and slow look...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Banter aside, you will need a decent set of coilovers with adjustable top mounts and adjustable RCA's. AP's dont come with adjustable front top mounts so you will have to buy them separately. Or.... you could look at going down the air suspension route to get some serious lows.

If your going really low you may need to think about driveshaft wabble

·
Registered
839 Posts
Buy parts from Orranje and get them sent to Millsys and drive up there... 90 minutes from you. He knows his stuff :) think all the parts plus fitting and setting up came to about £900. That's for AP coilovers, Silver Project top mounts and 2 sets of adjustable RCAs.

Don't forget about adding some stretch on your tyres if you want to get under the arches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts