MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in being able to do the above.... there are a few guys on here with some well refined skills with these things so if possible can you give some hints and tips ?

Im thinking information on what:
1. machine - rotary or is there another ? and what model is best VFM ?
2. polish - im primarily interested in dark paintwork but others may findrecommendations for all colours useful
3. pads
4. techinques to use and what not to do !!! :scared:
5. anything else thats useful - prep work perhaps ??

Ive got the mondeo to practice on but just need a newbie guide so i know what to buy / save for and then be in the position to give it a go... eventually I may even try it on the mini !! :tongue_smilie:

Basically Im right at the beginning of this but want to give it a try but dont know where to start....

All help is appreciated :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
16,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonna give it a go yourself then mate ?
Eventually... did you get my text the other day ? Was hoping when you guys came round you would be able to sort a guide and show me what to do.... I wouldnt do it on my car but would practice on the mondeo till i was a bit better, just incase :blush:

Edit: from your last text; 3rd oct any good ?

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Dude, call me :) Did the same with pistonhead, called me and talked him through the to do's and not to do's. Would be more than happy to do the same for you!

Already picked out a good kit for you to get ( its a make your own of the best products )

Mob number is 07855137969

·
Registered
12 Posts
If your going the DA route, probably the best machine out there at the minute is the DAS-6 PRO from Clean your car. It has a stronger motor hen the standard DAS so doesn't tend to bog down as much when polishing, especially on sticky paints. Rotary (and don't be afraid of it) it's pretty much down to your budget, just make sure it has a speed range that starts below 1000rpm when your first starting out.

Pads, I tend to use either CG Hexlogic or Sonus FX both are fab and I've had some incredible results. If you need any more info drop me a PM here or TM.

Steve

·
Loving the Janspeed
1,487 Posts
Call olley, Dave, he talked me through it. My mini is the first car I have done, and you've seen the results! Don't be afraid young padowan :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,904 Posts
would love to know how to do this, a friend of mine done my corsa when i first had it with pretty much an angle grinder with pads on it, he just made sure he kept it wet and not stay on the same place for too long my car look amazing as it was black

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Again, feel free to call guys, im more than happy to help :) Advice with products etc im on the other end of the phone, or a text message away!

·
Premium Member
16,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Dude, call me :) Did the same with pistonhead, called me and talked him through the to do's and not to do's. Would be more than happy to do the same for you!

Already picked out a good kit for you to get ( its a make your own of the best products )
Cheers dude - have made a note of your mob no so you will get a random call/text some time in the near future ;)

Any links to the products in the make your own kit you recommend ? If possible with a slant for a black2 car ;)

:D

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Ive done several cars now with my porter cable, sonus pads and menzerna polishes, I opted for a medium cut and a fine cut to be on the safe side, unless you are a neanderthal (SP) or complete oath its very difficult to fuck it up with these soft pastes. let the machine do the work with light to medium pressure and ensure the surface stays cool, I like to use a spray mist of water to help the process.
I leant the machine to a mate at work and he must have used so much pressure that it cut a whole through the pad and the outer fell off but even then his car shows no sign of damage.

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
jack - Avoid the sonus stuff, its not the best.

Dave - Your right, it is very difficult to destroy paint with a DA, in more cases the pad will fail before the paint does, especially with paint like ours.

As for the make it yourself kit. Its under the £200 mark but its the best of all the products.

You want

The Meg 220, good weight, great warranty and really simple and nice to use
Meguiars Dual Action Polisher G220

Price - £129 (On sale just now)

menzerna polishes, probably the best value and really good to work with, this gives you all the ones you need to tackle any problem.
Power gloss is an unbelievable finishing product, highest gloss level of nearly all polishes
the final finish to remove light scratches and light swirls.
The next step up final finish with slightly more level of cut and a step less gloss
Intensive polish to remove deeper oxidation and some RDS's
Menzerna 250ml Sampler Kit

Price - £28.95

These are some of the best pad's i've bought and used recently, great prices and long lasting quality!!
The kits usually have 4 or 5 pads in them to cover all tasks.

Orange medium cut
Chemical Guys - Orange 5.5 inch Hex-Logic Pad

Price 8.95

Green Heavy cut
Chemical Guys - Green 5.5 inch Hex-Logic Pad

Price £8.95

White finishing pad
Chemical Guys - White Hex-Logic Pad

Price £8.95

The black pad isn't in stock just now, but the blue one is just the same
Chemical Guys - Black Hex-Logic Pad

Price £8.95

Total price - £193.75

Full complete kit of all the best bits.

If you wanted to save some cash and just working on the mini, its a good idea to but a 4" backing plate and then buying the 4" spot pads, a lot smaller but easier to control and work.

What i do most of my work with.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts