MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Braking anorak...
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking for a while about fitting a strut brace and eventually settled on an M7 due to the protection it offers to the strut tops. Well I was gobsmacked at how much my nearside strut top had mushroomed upwards. The offside was okay - yes most potholes are at the edge of the road!

I took the weight off the strut and loosened the nuts, some tapping with a 4lb lump hammer using wood as protection did the trick!!! Strut bar was an easy fix but I had to wet the bonnet liner to allow it to reform overnight as it just caught.

So does it make any difference?? I was a bit sceptical but yes you really can feel it tighter in the handling department and better over the bumps. I am impressed by M7's engineering and the effect it has.

Recommended :thumbup1:

·
Braking anorak...
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update.....I am amazed just how much difference this brace makes. The car has no other braces fitted and I bought this mainly to protect my strut tops. What I have noticed is that the car no longer seems to crash over the bumps and potholes. A friend who shares lifts to work and is a Lotus Elise owner commented just what a difference he felt from the passenger seat! It most definately makes a significant difference to the ride and handling. Still impressed.:cools:

Attachments

·
Braking anorak...
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought it direct from Coastal Racing - £174

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
I've been happy with mine, but it works best in combination with an under strut brace, ie OMP for the cheap win, or M7 USS for the full monty.

·
The Lord of the Minis.
869 Posts
Thinking about strut braces and mushrooming... What do you think about the Forge R53 one?

To me both may work at the same level, right?

·
Bugger
25,338 Posts
camber plates and omp brace = better use of money

·
Bugger
25,338 Posts
my car felt exactly the same with it and the M7,

·
Bugger
25,338 Posts
would camber plates stop mushrooming?
most people dont realize theres two causes of strut towers mushrooming,

the stock top mounts bend with ease, this in turn causes the towers to mushroom

the towers will still mushroom with camber plates but not significantly ive found, this is based on the following,

my stock cooper @ 45k miles i added the m7 brace both towers had mushroomed and needed beaten down

when i bought bens car it had 63k on the clock 30 ish with camber plates and my m7 brace went right on with no issues

·
MT's Naughty Boy
6,852 Posts
Can't speak for the Forge but my M7 is one of the best mods I've done. Car feels less crashy and has kept my mushroom tops straight (after flattening them back down)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts