MiniTorque.com banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Charlie / hack
Don’t take this the wrong way but even though I’m sure you have a lot of time in trying to get the m62 installed on your car it’s not the same as being the one at came up with it . I have seen information on people doing m62 swaps back in 2006 (15years ago)
All the information you are claiming in most of your posts can be found in Posts from 15 years ago. Plagiarizing work isnt the sign of Genius .
with that said I’m not claiming that installing a m62 isn’t a lot of work . Especially doing it in a shop like you have described yours . Home garage with limited equipment . So yes good for you on getting it done and working. With that said you had very little to figure out as long as you have Internet access and can read . It’s not unlike your latest supercharger project. Not sayin it’s easy but that the Recipe has already been written down for you to copy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
For the brown noses and those that have not actually installed a different supercharger that is specifically made for a R53, I want to point a few things out, 1.) DDM created a R53 kit back in 2007 with a MP62. They posted some pictures that you can find but there were no specific details on how it attached to the Tritec engine. It was not until I bought the DDM prototype after it sat on a shelf for 12 years and discovered that it used the MINI M45 pulley gear case. 2.) The Cobalt/Saturn M62 is a true Eaton where the MP62 is a Magnuson, The cases are different so what worked for DDM other than the M45 pulley gear case did not work for me. Me the dumb bastard had to figure out where to cut the case, mount the horn to the discharge deck and as the intake port on the M62 is in a different place than the MP62 create/fabricate the intake duct. 3.) There was no information on belt slippage or how too address it. 4.) There was no log data that you could pull up,

I am also a dumb bastard because I have dumped a fair amount of money in my R53 albeit not as much as some others. So for the even dumber bastards that have spent a whole lot more than me, I made this up I while back. It takes no brains to figure out why Jan pisses on the M62. The below numbers do not include a cam, head gasket or labor as those values would be similar for either.

So the square root of what sod is worth plus the numbers below and you are underwater big time . . . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the brown noses and those that have not actually installed a different supercharger that is specifically made for a R53, I want to point a few things out, 1.) DDM created a R53 kit back in 2007 with a MP62. They posted some pictures that you can find but there were no specific details on how it attached to the Tritec engine. It was not until I bought the DDM prototype after it sat on a shelf for 12 years and discovered that it used the MINI M45 pulley gear case. 2.) The Cobalt/Saturn M62 is a true Eaton where the MP62 is a Magnuson, The cases are different so what worked for DDM other than the M45 pulley gear case did not work for me. Me the dumb bastard had to figure out where to cut the case, mount the horn to the discharge deck and as the intake port on the M62 is in a different place than the MP62 create/fabricate the intake duct. 3.) There was no information on belt slippage or how too address it. 4.) There was no log data that you could pull up,

I am also a dumb bastard because I have dumped a fair amount of money in my R53 albeit not as much as some others. So for the even dumber bastards that have spent a whole lot more than me, I made this up I while back. It takes no brains to figure out why Jan pisses on the M62. The below numbers do not include a cam, head gasket or labor as those values would be similar for either.

So the square root of what sod is worth plus the numbers below and you are underwater big time . . . .

View attachment 103275

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your RMW pricing is off . The RMW tunes are normally included with the upgraded parts you have listed so
- $650
the price on RMWs head is also off as I’m pretty sure he sells that as a package deal to include install parts .
the $900 you are claiming is a Approximate price approximate price on a used supercharger and a homemade install kit . Could cost more or less . So not set in stone as this would claim and Obviously not including the time and effort to build . A TVS900 is going to be more do to the fact that it’s new with a Professionally built installation kit and professionally built installation kit and a very good warranty.
The injectors from eBay are just that . Good luck getting injections that Actually perform within the perimeter’s they advertise not to mention that don’t leak from the Nozzle or atomize the fuel . as far as the other eBay parts you listed you are not the first to Discover that you can buy cheap crap cheap on eBay.
Now the thumper head is a head ported head done by eye . Anyone can tell that doing heads in this way is fine . I myself have ported many for myself and customers in the past with that said doing them by hand also means your not going to get the same product everytime . This is why a CNC job cost more . You get repeatable testable performance . Buying a hand ported head is a crap shoot . You may get a great headwith all the ports matching in size and shape and flow making great power but sadly the next head may fall short. I’m sure thumpers heads are all better then the stock head . I don’t know thumper he could be the very best porter in the US at just happens to be a small shop . He’s still not going to be able to sell performance heads that are Consistent across the board.

What I’m getting to is you are always Comparing The cost and performance of professionally built race parts and tunes the are proven Championship winning setups to your Collection of eBay and home made parts .
I have told you many many times that I’m all for people Tinkering as you call it and upgrading there cars on there own . Very good gains can be made this way . Not to mention the Enjoyment enjoymentthat can be had from doing so . I own a fan shop , that’s what my business is based on . Now as far as you implying that I have never modified a car or supercharger to fit a car before I hope you were joking .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your RMW pricing is off . The RMW tunes are normally included with the upgraded parts you have listed so
- $650
the price on RMWs head is also off as I’m pretty sure he sells that as a package deal to include install parts .
the $900 you are claiming is a Approximate price approximate price on a used supercharger and a homemade install kit . Could cost more or less . So not set in stone as this would claim and Obviously not including the time and effort to build . A TVS900 is going to be more do to the fact that it’s new with a Professionally built installation kit and professionally built installation kit and a very good warranty.
The injectors from eBay are just that . Good luck getting injections that Actually perform within the perimeter’s they advertise not to mention that don’t leak from the Nozzle or atomize the fuel . as far as the other eBay parts you listed you are not the first to Discover that you can buy cheap crap cheap on eBay.
Now the thumper head is a head ported head done by eye . Anyone can tell that doing heads in this way is fine . I myself have ported many for myself and customers in the past with that said doing them by hand also means your not going to get the same product everytime . This is why a CNC job cost more . You get repeatable testable performance . Buying a hand ported head is a crap shoot . You may get a great headwith all the ports matching in size and shape and flow making great power but sadly the next head may fall short. I’m sure thumpers heads are all better then the stock head . I don’t know thumper he could be the very best porter in the US at just happens to be a small shop . He’s still not going to be able to sell performance heads that are Consistent across the board.

What I’m getting to is you are always Comparing The cost and performance of professionally built race parts and tunes the are proven Championship winning setups to your Collection of eBay and home made parts .
I have told you many many times that I’m all for people Tinkering as you call it and upgrading there cars on there own . Very good gains can be made this way . Not to mention the Enjoyment enjoymentthat can be had from doing so . I own a fan shop , that’s what my business is based on . Now as far as you implying that I have never modified a car or supercharger to fit a car before I hope you were joking .
I really need to find out what’s going on with my autocorrect lately 🙄

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thank you Mr. Brown Nose for pointing out so many great facts that I am sure those you consider dumb bastards cannot figure out themselves, that being the M62 is a good bang for buck mod for the guy with a 15 year or older that is worth the square root of sod.

Hmmm package prices yes but why didn't you provide some costs from the Arsehole? While at that, list all the Arsehole goodies you got on your car as if with the square root cost of sod and even the "alternative" prices puts a person underwater than with what you have spent, you are down there with the Titanic. I am sure shortly either you or the Arsehole will remind everybody how many races the cars with his parts won. Why he is a legend in his own mind and a god to the ever dwindling numbers of Fanbois that follow him.

Got to love the "ignore button" as Mr. Brown Nose will now join the Arsehole as well. On the Arsehole, I have heard some comments from folks on the west side of the pond that it is so great that the Arsehole cannot help them solve some of their problems with the stuff he sells but can take the time to make some posts on an east side of the pond forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you Mr. Brown Nose for pointing out so many great facts that I am sure those you consider dumb bastards cannot figure out themselves, that being the M62 is a good bang for buck mod for the guy with a 15 year or older that is worth the square root of sod.

Hmmm package prices yes but why didn't you provide some costs from the Arsehole? While at that, list all the Arsehole goodies you got on your car as if with the square root cost of sod and even the "alternative" prices puts a person underwater than with what you have spent, you are down there with the Titanic. I am sure shortly either you or the Arsehole will remind everybody how many races the cars with his parts won. Why he is a legend in his own mind and a god to the ever dwindling numbers of Fanbois that follow him.

Got to love the "ignore button" as Mr. Brown Nose will now join the Arsehole as well. On the Arsehole, I have heard some comments from folks on the west side of the pond that it is so great that the Arsehole cannot help them solve some of their problems with the stuff he sells but can take the time to make some posts on an east side of the pond forum.
I’m not really sure what your going on about now. I already told you many times that that the m62 is a good upgrade on a budget . Same with some of your eBay stuff but I can’t see how you can compare cost . Better performance normally cost more and not everyone is going to put the same value on the difference . As far as what I have spent on my wife’s car I really don’t know or care because I don’t keep track. I buy parts for this car and my others when I feel the desire to play with them and as a member of the working Community ( not on a fixed income) I can choose to not put a end Budget on this project or any of my other wheeled toys , none of which I can see as being any of your business. I’m not the one trying justify my build or Focused on what you spend .
As I told you before once Before , when the weather warms up the wife and I are more then happy to drive down to NC . We go down there to play on the dragon anyways . You and her can go fine a straight Stretch so you can see the difference in the cost .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Another M62 is being sent over the pond, this time to Sarthe. On this side of the pond I am working on getting a friend's MP62 fitted. I have the original JCW engine out of my car, replaced with a Thumper built one, so I use it for my mock up.

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

I work out of my garage with common tools. This stuff is not rocket science and being able use the M45 pulley gear case makes alignment really easy. No rotors in the case as I have the gear case shimmed out with a piece of wood that I machined. With 9mm shims the supercharger fits without any modifications to the engine block, The MP62 intake is more in plane with the rotor shaft centerline that is different on both the MINI M45 and the Cobalt M62 where the intake is below the rotor centerline.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
still dumb as fuck but it's fun to watch him polish turds and think he's eating filet mignon

Reactions: Bixby

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Came across an interesting discussion on Mr. RMW/Jan. Yep he had the time to troll this thread but not the time to help those that are having issues with some of his stuff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Working on another M62 kit. I shaped some aluminum bars and attached them so the sealing surface is larger.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
A MINI shop in Cheshire has three Cobalt SS M62s and will be making kits up for them. I sent them a prototype adapter that will allow the use of the oem black nylon charge tube by cutting it and inserting it into the adapter. RTV is used to seal the connection and this method has held up more than two years on the M62 kit that I made for myself. The owner is talking about a kit that includes a BVH, cam and a water/meth injection system so some nice power gains are to be had. They also have the ability to obtain more rebuilt Cobalt/Saturn M62s from a rebuilder in the USA. They are also talking about selling a parts kit for the US market.

I have completed my second M62 kit as with the Magnuson MP62 I utilized a plate to adapt the M45 discharge horn to the discharge deck of the M62. I sent some templates to the Cheshire shop along with the charge tube adapter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
R53Hack. Are you shipping superchargers to the UK? I'd be interested in one for my R53 hillclimb car. Thanks.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts