MiniTorque.com banner

421 - 440 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
110 seems really hot on the road, is that optimum temp? A cover that you can slide or open/shut would be neat so you could have a partial opening if needed.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
I wouldn't say it is really hot. Old school theory says you want to sit at 100C+ to evaporate any water that becomes present, at the moment I have seen it touch 100C maybe twice and only for a second or two before dropping again.

Aiming for 110C should be good a good start point for town as when the traffic is free flowing or you hit dual carriageway you should quickly see that 110 drop down.

I have had various ideas as to how to run it, I think I have settled on creating a plate with holes which I will cover in velcro then create some blanking strips also with velcro that can be laid over the holes. In winter I may just swap to a full cover.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Bit late now like, but wouldn't you be better off with it out of the airflow path, and use a small fan, either controlled manually or by a thermostat?

Better control than faffing about with different plates and covers, reminds me of the 90s when you used to see Defender with half the rad blocked off.

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
Well it is predominantly a track car, so I have yet to see what the temps are going to be like, it may be that on a 20C+ track day I don't need any cover at all. Once I have established what works for what temperature range the faffing should be reduced. It should simply be a case of running a cover on the road, turning up to the track, dropping the bumper, removing the plate and refitting again at the end of the day. Can have the bumper off in minutes anyway.

This seems to be where everybody mounts them, I can't think of anywhere it would be able to go that's out of the airflow. Plus it is probably preferable to have ease of access to it rather than stuffing it somewhere else. A fan would create its own set of problems.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Yeah, you're probably right.

I know I wouldn't bother putting the plate back on at the end of the day though. :)

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
although I didn't use mine yet it seems like just fitting the oil thermostat designed for this purpose could make life easier perhaps?

glad the engine was sorted.

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
Have heard of engine failures and cooler failures all relating to a stat.

And it makes sense to me. By blanking it you have control over how it operates, allowing gradual heating/cooling. The stat opening suddenly will create a shock mixing of hot/cold oil.

Not to mention the possibility of the stat failing.

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
aware stats can fail/stick but as likely as coolant stats quite possibly and certainly with much less of an immediate destructive consequence especially if on a gauge. Also aware of cooler failures but also variety, Think Automotive mention this, like other tuning parts now many people are making similar items maybe not all as good, so worth investing in well established important parts there, although stuff still happens.

The oil introduced at stat temp still won't be cold as heat will have transferred to a degree already and is only at best the capacity of the coolest hose section between the stat to the cooler core which should really be as close as possible imo, so depending on rows, around .25l to .50l additional volume at the very max (of additional capacity) which will do nothing harmful at all.

The control concept sounds like a potential alternative if not wishing to use a stat. Maybe something like top and bottom channels added for a sliding cover operated by cables similar to bike brake cables to pull the cover either way from inside the car or a louvre style, better still the fan idea as above would be cool (pun intended) if space could be found for relocation and utilising something like a modified PAS fan.

I can't answer the engine failure due to an oil cooler stat, most issues have a story behind them, often things blamed when they can have been compromised by others, including installation. The Mocal stat doesn't close flow so hard to see how it can affect anything, it just bypasses the core at the stat which as said, should be as close to the core as possible really. If over cooling perhaps reduce the coolers number of rows, again Think Automotive talk about it fwiw.

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
Silverstone GP shakedown...

Damp horrible morning where the car just would not click, couldn't get heat in the tyres and the track was greasy. Numerous red flags meant sessions were also limited, I went out a few times only to be in again before the end of the lap.

Afternoon was a different story. A dry line appeared and I finally got the tyres up to temp, by the second afternoon session I had finally got my head around how the car performs now with the KW Clubsports and the KSport 4 pots.

I think there is still some tweaking to do. The back end is very lively but predictable and easily catchable so I'm not too concerned about it at the moment. Did feel like there were moments of understeer which I haven't experienced since switching to the R888R's but think this might have been my lack of track driving skill and poor lines. The K Sports are pretty good, I think I will still switch to Carbotech pads rather than the Ferodos that came in there but they did impress me as I thought they'd be useless in comparison.

Also got to meet a couple of other top guys driving R53's who were good to chat with.

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
Not much to report. Can't resist buying wheels so I've ended up with these for the time being. Have slung new R888R's on my Turinis and the old set onto the TD's.

Scott at 1320 messaged me on instagram to say it sounded like I had a noisy lifter after I posted a vid on instagram on a New Years Day hoon. Ears of a bat it would seem...

And why you should always check your car over before & after each track day. This is how I found it, I have not touched anything :oops:

Other than that, finally got my SPA gauges working now they have sent me replacement sensors. I am toying with the idea of stripping the interior carpets and door cards with the eventual aim of painting the inside. Ordered a lightweight race battery which I will either relocate behind passenger seat or somewhere else. Hmm. Snetterton next Friday for Valentines Day 🖤

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
Snetterton 300

Some pics of me three wheelin' for you guys. As usual a pretty nasty damp, greasy morning which saw me locking up a few times at the end of both straights and sliding straight on. All well and good at the end of Bentley Straight as you have run off, but twitchy bum time going into the first corner when your foot is hard on the brake and the car is continuing straight on at the same speed towards the field & trees.

All came good in the afternoon with nice weather and a dry track I started to find a flow, unfortunately I only got two brief afternoon sessions in before the MAP sensor threw a complete wobbly and the car wouldn't even turn over. Finally got it going only to stop again 15mins from the circuit. Recovery truck home it is then...

421 - 440 of 451 Posts