MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would you Mini-lovers kindly offer some insight?
I pulled my engine and trans (of course) to freshen the little guy up after 90K of wear and tear. I looked at my sales document and sure enough I ordered the car new with an LSD. But does it really have an LSD? I wasn't sure as the car drives terrible on the highway. Alignments, new tires, shocks - nothing makes it better.

I invested in a Wavetrac LSD, took the transmission to a professional shop and they did the install, giving me back the original parts -differential, bearings, races...
I asked them if the differential was a LSD and they commented that they thought it was an open differential.

Here are the pics. If anyone can identify whether this differential is an LSD or not that would be terrific. Thanks DR

IMG_1886.jpg IMG_1888.jpg IMG_1887.jpg IMG_1884.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
pics not working

there is only a subtle difference in the diff carrier, the LSD part is noticeable though,

have you changed the front arm rear bushes yet? Even ball joints, outers?

·
Registered
2004, R53 MINI Cooper S. (Pre-facelift)
23 Posts
Hello Danraabe,

So I could be wrong, but hear is how I understand it.
See the screws circled in orange?
those screws and the cylindrical metal housing that it keeps together is how you can tell that your dif. is an LSD.
if you remove those screws and disassemble the housing you would find a small clutch like system living inside your dif.
which is the mechanism by which as the name implies; prevents slip on the non traction wheel.
So to answer your question, Yes you have a LSD.
The non LSD variant does not have this secondary housing.
If anyone knows me to be wrong about this, I would love to hear it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts