MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
The OP was referring to my car at the time. We later realised that the bottom of the endlink was hitting the car (the triangle below it).
We then installed Alta v2 adjustable endlinks both at the front and rear, and the knocking was still noticeable.

What I have found since then is that it seems you have to adjust (the alta ones, at least) to the very minimum height they allow for. One other portuguese fellow did it and no knocking was found on his car. Also, the installer commented on that height setting as the one that seemed to place the stabilizer bar on its ideal neutral position.

Last week one other guy commented on these knocking sounds on his lowered car and found the same marks. Here is a pic from mine:

I was running the car 3-4cm lower than stock.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a rattle from the rear near side which I need to sort.
To be fair I first noticed this when it was dropped on Eibach springs, now that I have it dropped on coil overs the noise seems a little bit more noticeable than before.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Front or back. I have a rattle on the near side rear which is pointing to the drop link. Had it a little when dropped on springs. Since fitting coilys the noise as got worse. I do not hear it over 30 mph or so, just generally over bumpy town roads. I am getting rear control arms and drop links all round then an alignment. Hopefully this will get rid of the noise as I will of changed every suspension parts. It is all poly bushed as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's actually at the rear passenger side.More obvious on backing and not metal to metal sound but more likely a rubber or spring touches the perch.

I had this sound on the previous MINI and when I installed it to my new once still got the same annoying sound.

Did you get it sorted with control Arms & drop links?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have heard of similar problem and one of the possible cause is the rear anti-roll bar bush.
That bush can look brand new, but if it is deform slightly, you get a horrible clonking / knocking noise.

Chasing noise is one of the most difficult issue, as it can show up after installing coilovers but have nothing to do with the coilovers.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Jerrick

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Guys, the majority of these posts refer to R56 Mini's. Has anyone come across this on R50's. We've got some AP Coilovers ready to fit...thanks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i wouldn't say I fixed it but I got the rear anti roll bar bushings changed and at lower speeds it was less noticeable and then when you were going over 10-15 mph you couldn't hear it at all.

if you have done anti roll bar bushing.
I would check your top mounts
and then see if the strut is leaking fluid at all....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got this knocking as soon as I fitted my ap's I then fitted new Oem Arb bushes and the knocking is now significantly quieter but still there, I will fit new Oem drop links sometime this week and report.

Any brands of adjustable drop links recommended?

Mike

21 - 40 of 47 Posts