MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I havent' got a R56 however being a member of the Portuguese BMW\Mini Club i had the opportunity to test drive a lot of different Minis and i found out a common complaint between the owners of lowered R56.(specially the ones lowered with coilovers).

It seems that after you lower it , everysingle time you go by an uneven surface the car rattles all around(like a suspension part is hitting something).
It's not "critical", or something but it does bother a little bit, and the more you lower it the worse it gets.

Personally i bet on the Droplinks that need to be adjusted(replaced by adjustable ones) in order to adjust the load on the bar(that might be touching something).

However i prefer to hear from you first to get a 2nd opinion.

I remind you that this is not a thing that happens to 1 or 2 R56 lowered minis(on coils), it happens to every single one of them and with different suspensions(KW,Bilstein).

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine (on Bilstein coilovers) does some sort of soft clonking/rattle noise when driving on uneven surfaces, but it doesn't do it all the time.

Is this the same case as the cars you drove?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine (on Bilstein coilovers) does some sort of soft clonking/rattle noise when driving on uneven surfaces, but it doesn't do it all the time.

Is this the same case as the cars you drove?
Yep, same thing... i'll be testing it after adjusting the endlinks,lets hope to find the problem

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yep, same thing... i'll be testing it after adjusting the endlinks,lets hope to find the problem
Let us know how you get on with it! :)

I get a bit of knocking at low speed when reversing off the drive. Seems to come from the rear but dont really notice it when up and running properly... is this actually an issue or just an annoyance ??
My case, as the car drives sweet as, is more of an annoyance than an issue...

·
BRG R53 Cooper S
2,617 Posts
I get a very slight noise on a morning from the N/S front for about a minute or so of driving, this is over speed bumps coming off my estate, AP coilovers

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it would be interesting to verify how low is your car.. From what i tested the lower the car.. the worse the sound gets...

·
Premium Member
16,475 Posts
For reference mine is as follows when measured from the lowest part of the black trim (textured paint) on the side skirt:

- just behind the front wheel = ~8.5cm
- just in front of the rear wheel = ~11.5cm.

Measurements to the ground obviously.

Measured ground to the top of the arc in the arch is ~59cm all round.

EDIT: I have aero/JCW bodykit

·
Registered
173 Posts
For reference mine is as follows when measured from the lowest part of the black trim (textured paint) on the side skirt:

- just behind the front wheel = ~8.5cm
- just in front of the rear wheel = ~11.5cm.

Measurements to the ground obviously.

Measured ground to the top of the arc in the arch is ~59cm all round.
Mine is as follows:

- just behind the front wheel = ~9.5cm
- just in front of the rear wheel = ~14.0cm.

Measured ground to the top of the arc in the arch is ~60cm front and ~61.5cm back

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's usually the rear drop links that get shot after a while. Even the OEM ones will give up after 15k lowered miles. Other than that, no suspension rattles on my R56. I can live with mild drop link rattle, thanks to my loud exhaust.
Thats ok for you and for me (we both have loud exhausts), however this seems to be a common "fault", it would be cool to know wtf is doing that noise ;)

Community service!!!

·
Premium Member
16,475 Posts
It's usually the rear drop links that get shot after a while. Even the OEM ones will give up after 15k lowered miles. Other than that, no suspension rattles on my R56. I can live with mild drop link rattle, thanks to my loud exhaust.
If it is the drop links, what is thats actually rattling ? Is the link hitting something else or what ?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it is the drop links, what is thats actually rattling ? Is the link hitting something else or what ?
The stock endlinks cause the ARB to be "stretched" beyond normal, in my humble way of seeing things, it's the ARB that touches\rubs on something and the adjustable endlinks(when shortened), will solve that problem.

I can always put something around the ARB (some sort of insulation) to see if the noise goes down\disappears, if so, theres the problem!

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
It's often wear at the rose joints that causes rattles over time. And because it is all metal on metal, the noise is even amplified.

Sometimes the bolts that connect te link to the ARB are smaller than the ARB's holes, so again, there will be play over time that will cause rattles.

Depending on the shape and measurements of the ARB or length of the drop links, the ends of the ARB could touch the trailing arms upon suspension rebound. There are examples of both of that somewhere in my project thread.

This is from own experience btw.

·
Premium Member
16,475 Posts
So with stock ARB and links its more likely to be the rose joints as the bolt/holes etc should be matched, being an OEM part?

Having a look under the car the closest thing to the links (bottom conection of the link) is the bottom of the suspension strut... would need some lateral play to touch that though....

Suspension confuses me... ::getcoat::

1 - 20 of 47 Posts