MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to Minis, this is my first one so this is all a bit of a learning curve at the moment. I have a 2004 Cooper S with the digital climate control init, cooling system is working great stages 1 and 2 fans work perfectly cutting in at 105 and 112 degrees as expected

However when I switch my AC on the compressor clutch engages and remains engaged, the engine cooling fan initially spins up and runs for a few seconds on stage 1 then just spins down and doesn't appear to come back on.

I am a bit baffled as to what can cause the AC clutch to engage and remain engaged but allows the engine fan to drop off I would have expected them to act together in parallel?

I have attached a few screen shots of a diagnostic package in the hope I am missing something

System Off

System On

Thanks in advance

Ian

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi All,

New to Minis, this is my first one so this is all a bit of a learning curve at the moment. I have a 2004 Cooper S with the digital climate control init, cooling system is working great stages 1 and 2 fans work perfectly cutting in at 105 and 112 degrees as expected

However when I switch my AC on the compressor clutch engages and remains engaged, the engine cooling fan initially spins up and runs for a few seconds on stage 1 then just spins down and doesn't appear to come back on.

I am a bit baffled as to what can cause the AC clutch to engage and remain engaged but allows the engine fan to drop off I would have expected them to act together in parallel?

I have attached a few screen shots of a diagnostic package in the hope I am missing something

System Off
View attachment 100215
System On
View attachment 100216
Thanks in advance

Ian
8bar refrigerant pressure is required to trigger stage1 fan.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you but shouldn't stage 1 fan be running up to that point? Stage 1 starts when I first start the AC but after a few seconds cuts out and stays out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thank you but shouldn't stage 1 fan be running up to that point? Stage 1 starts when I first start the AC but after a few seconds cuts out and stays out.
I believe stage 1 is coolant temp(105°C) & 8bar ref pressure triggered. Fan cuts out at 101°C.
112°C coolant temp & 18bar Ref pressure trigger stage 2.
Check your AC system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right I might have been a bit thick here then, I was expecting the cooling fan to run all the time the AC was running rather than cutting in and out, As that's how my other car behaves. oops :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Right I might have been a bit thick here then, I was expecting the cooling fan to run all the time the AC was running rather than cutting in and out, As that's how my other car behaves. oops :)
In & out of 1&2, temp & pressure dictated, unless you've done the resistor bypass mod.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for that appreciate your help! back to square one with why my AC doesn't work now though, will have to do some more research.

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
the active screenshot high evaporator sensor temp, with compressor definitely running? I'd be getting that re-gassed to be sure the refrigerant weight is known good personally, not that it's much help for what else might actually be wrong....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your advice guys I would have been going around and around in circles! took it into the garage today and it did indeed have a low refrigerent weight (approx 200g vs 500g), all topped up now and working fine :) just a shame the weather here is now awful!

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
good dehumidifier though 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts