MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
R50 cooper with a R53 cooper s box
My son was driving about 30mph and was a bang and lost drive.
It goes into all gears.
I have checked shaft's linkage and clutch slave all fine.
Any advice welcome.
Thank you.
Dave king

·
Registered
972 Posts
If the gear lever feels normal I would start with driveshafts. They are the easiest to check.

More likely driveshaft fallen out or broken (CV joint more probable). With an open differential the symptoms described will occur.

If these all feel OK then it's time to consider clutch and gearbox. As the OP has a R53 gearbox in the R50 then it's less likely to fail than the old Midlands box would be. I assume that the R53 gearbox has been fitted and working properly for a while, not just last week!

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,346 Posts
ns shaft most common to pop out of the box but you say you looked.... it could bang on release

clutch disc lining failure would be the other thing if the pedal feel is still there, not so common from constant speed, more if launched.... were you in the car with him? Might not wish to say what he was really doing etc.

other stuff is likely to result in accompanying noise somewhere

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the gear lever feels normal I would start with driveshafts. They are the easiest to check.

More likely driveshaft fallen out or broken (CV joint more probable). With an open differential the symptoms described will occur.

If these all feel OK then it's time to consider clutch and gearbox. As the OP has a R53 gearbox in the R50 then it's less likely to fail than the old Midlands box would be. I assume that the R53 gearbox has been fitted and working properly for a while, not just last week!
Thanks for your reply.
I fitted the box about 5 years ago.
It had a slight rattle on idle that's about it.
What i have noticed is the clutch pedal feels
lighter.
Thank you.
dave king

·
Registered
489 Posts
Check the slave is moving when the clutch is pressed (2 person job) if so I’d say clutch issue, but you won’t know till the gearbox is removed.

Seems you’ve checked most external things, so there’s only that option left (box removal).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts