MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Looking to buy a R53, i originally started looking for a facelift with lsd etc
Theres quite afew pre facelifts forsale with low mileage and good condition.
My max is 3k at the moment so im limited.
Would you guys advice against a pre facelift?
I see they tend to get more hate over the internet and are deemed less reliable?
It will be my daily, but will double as weekend fun car/occasional track (once or twice a year really max)

Would love to hear any input, my cars sold so im desperate to get a new car as i have no transport lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also apologies in advance that im sure this has been covered 1000x before just wanted an up to date opinion if that makes sense

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
3k will get you a very 'average' car

no reason to avoid early stuff imo, a bit less power, few more rattles maybe, lack of rear camber adjustment, soon work all that out, only dislike I have for them is the keys really haha,

Reactions: Raceface_13

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys,
Looking to buy a R53, i originally started looking for a facelift with lsd etc
Theres quite afew pre facelifts forsale with low mileage and good condition.
My max is 3k at the moment so im limited.
Would you guys advice against a pre facelift?
I see they tend to get more hate over the internet and are deemed less reliable?
It will be my daily, but will double as weekend fun car/occasional track (once or twice a year really max)

Would love to hear any input, my cars sold so im desperate to get a new car as i have no transport lol
I personally cant stand the 2 spoke steering wheel in pre-facelifts but I think that is easily changed to a 3 spoke.

As above, 3k will get you an average face lift car, but you will be able to get one. Definitely check MOT history on these cars due to the age and price bracket. You will get a good flavour of how the car has been looked after.

If you can wait, increase budget a bit and get a nice one then do this as a 3k car will need money spending on it. To be honest, they all need money spending on them.

Pre-facelifts are cheaper and loads around but try to get a well-cared for one with history. If you arent 100% happy, there is no reason to buy the first one you see as there are so many around.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

I think the R53 gets a bad rap everywhere nowadays because people fail to appreciate they are nigh on 20 years old now and will not have ben meticulously maintained by all owners (also get passed around alot hence high number of owners on many of them).

Then people fit/bodge them with cheap parts and wonder why things fail and they aren't reliable..or leave known issues rather than fixing them which then it turn creates more issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts