MiniTorque.com banner

Long time reader, 1st time poster (almost) - My BRG R53 Cooper S

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  HimatL 
#1 ·
Hi all, started posting on the forum so thought I should at least introduce my Mini.

I used to change cars quite frequently when I was younger so had all sorts including a 2.0 16v Corsa B, 350z, 330ci, Golf 1.8t Anniversary and then some boring but excellent workhorses VAG 2.0 diesels, which got hammered for mileage one of which was a Mk5 Gti/R32 replica.

But there was one I always regretted selling and that was my R53 JCW, it was grey and had the full works kit including 18’s, aero bumpers, Sparco seats, and was the most fun and engaging experience I’d had in a car mainly because it could actually go round corners.

Fast forward 10 years or so from my last Mini we’ve got a boring, floaty, comfy car but wanted something fun on the side so there was only one option on my mind.

I picked up a BRG Facelift Cooper S last year, 106k miles, was the colour I wanted and completely stock with a decent spec including heated seats, MFSW and climate control but needing some tlc for its upcoming MOT. Mainly the exhaust (rusty heap of klarius pattern part junk) and brakes. But had stacks of receipts.

I’ll get a project thread up as I’ve done a few bits since purchasing, mostly maintenance so far to get to a position where I am happy to start on more aesthetic/performance upgrades.

This is pretty much how it stands although the tyres have changed recently.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mini Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mini Motor vehicle

Look forward to being a part of the community.

Gervais (yes as in Ricky..)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
quite smart that, body colour roof I always like, and chrome, so mirror caps I'd add personally, and 215/45r17 rubber which sits much better in the arch, discreet changes otherwise on a car like that,

starting with a cam ;O)

Reactions: Astroboy
#3 ·
Thanks, not planning too many external changes just some tidying up here and there, quite like the chrome so it will be staying although mirror caps may be a touch too blingy for me.

Tyres have only been on for two weeks so will be around for a while longer, plan to do some track days so I’m sure I’ll wear through them quick enough.

Had a feeling you would mention a cam haha you’ll be pleased to know it’s on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
...and yeah 100% get some BRG mirror caps back on it. My one came with the factory chrome ones......I didn't massively dislike them but it was just a touch too much chrome......Minis definitely suit a bit of it (is its heritage of course) but some of it's a step too far I totally agree (y) (y)

My old Cooper had the exterior chrome pack which I definitely wouldn't have chosen but it did look good on the more basic Cooper.

#8 ·
They were green until someone pinched them one night :(

Struggled to find a set 2nd hand that weren't battered and struggled with the finish when spraying myself, so ended up with these CF style ones which have grown on me.
That's a bugger, theres a place called The Wing Mirror Man on line who'll do a full set of aftermarket caps painted for about 112 quid all in which I didn't think was too bad.....nearly bit the bullet but managed to source some half decent used genuine white ones for it so didn't bother. Worth bearing in mind.

Alternative is to buy genuine primed caps (about 35 quid each) and have them painted.

#9 ·
Thanks. Good to try and be different but annoying when it doesn't come off.
Did you put up with it being white or did you have it wrapped/painted?

That's a bugger, theres a place called The Wing Mirror Man on line who'll do a full set of aftermarket caps painted for about 112 quid all in which I didn't think was too bad.....nearly bit the bullet but managed to source some half decent used genuine white ones for it so didn't bother. Worth bearing in mind.

Alternative is to buy genuine primed caps (about 35 quid each) and have them painted.
Thanks for that will take a look. The front end will be seeing some paint in the future so i'll likely revisit then and see which way the wind takes me with the caps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.