1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Interested to hear when this is worth while having, will it improve anything if you only have a pulley fitted?

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats ;) ...
Thank you, exciting times!

Interested to hear when this is worth while having, will it improve anything if you only have a pulley fitted?
It will be worth it - it's not all about bhp.

You'll need a cam and injectors too for any tune to be worth the money.
I think this depends what you're wanting to achieve - in the early stages we would disagree. More details to follow.

Any news on R55/56/57 tuning?
We've been working on this behind the scenes and the Race Car will go out soon - when we're ready for release this commercially we will announce details. This stage is purely R53 Cooper S.

Are you able to unlock the ECU's on cars that currently have a Mynes tune?
Yes.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
New at Lohen for 2013! In-house Remapping for Gen 1 Cooper S's

Following months of development and testing, Lohen is proud to announce our first wave of ECU remapping for the R53 Cooper S.

Lohen’s In-House Software Development And Testing

Our software works with both the standard (totally unmodified) R53 to maximise its setup and also the Cooper S tuned with a combination of Supercharger Pulley (15% or 17%), Manifold & Catalyst, Intake and Intercooler.

Lohenʼs software has been designed to be safe and strong but, best of all, it keeps on performing as you bolt the hardware on. The built-in parameters mean you can start with just a pulley, belt and plugs then add a manifold, cat and intercooler at a later stage and the car will just improve. You know, like a fine wine... or the older lady.

Speaking of the older lady: weʼve developed this software on our original 2002 R53, Trouble, with 95 RON pump fuel. We know her engine is strong & so further testing is on-going to finalise gained bhp results. However, our MINI underwent hundreds of map alterations, has driven countless road miles & clocked up some serious high-speed testing time at a proving ground

MoTeC data-logging equipment was used to aid development. We did the following:

- Measured intake temperatures and intake (boost) pressure
- We fitted a Wideband Lambda to measure AFR (fuelling) more accurately
- 4 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensors were fitted for independent cylinder analysis
- We measured many other parameters including (but not exclusively) water temperature, oil temperature and pressure, fuel pressure to ensure safe running
- Over 100 development dyno runs
- Extensive ʻreal-worldʼ testing of the various software features to improve functionality
- High-speed testing at a proving ground: over 25 high-speed runs (over 350 miles)
- Durability tested at 90mph/110mph/125-130mph

trouble.jpg

Lohen Mapping Features

An analysis of the key features in the Lohen software and what they mean for you and your MINI.

- Revised Ignition Control - Optimised ignition to suit forced induction and spirited driving
- Revised Throttle Behaviour - Enhanced drivability through smoother uptake and responsiveness
- Improved Off-Load Efficiency - Low-load cruising efficiency for enhanced motorway drivability
- Improved Rev Limiter - A smoother, more refined engine cut to create less aggressive transitions through the gears
- Revised Traction Control - Recalibrated to work with more power: now a genuine aid and performance enhancement
- Enhanced Engine Protection Control - Weʼve recalibrated areas of the ECU to help prevent engine failures
- OE Level Emissions - Lohenʼs mapping is fully MOT compliant with a catalyst
- Refined Fuel Control - Precise fuelling that has been adapted specifically to work with your MINIʼs modifications
- Dyno, Real World & Proving Ground Tested - Peace of mind weʼve tested our software to prove its safety and reliability
- Optional Launch Control - Assisted take off-calibrated to customerʼs individual requirements e.g. RPM hold at 4000rpm

Lohen Mapping Specification and Prices

A typical software upgrade session (suitable for standard cars and/or vehicles with pulley already installed) will include:

- Pre-Tuning Engine Health Check
- Diagnostic Fault Check & Visual Inspection
- Compression Check - if all good:
- ʻBeforeʼ Power Run
- Installation of Software
- ʻAfterʼ Power Run

£390 installed inc VAT. This should typically take around 2 hours to complete.

Please note - if your MINI has already been mapped and requires resetting, this is possible and will be charged hourly at £56 per hour. We anticipate this will take roughly an hour to complete.

Our R53 gained 21bhp over standard with this map.

Lohen - Trouble with Map.jpg

A typical starter hardware package will include:

- Pre-Tuning Engine Health Check
- Diagnostic Fault Check & Visual Inspection
- Compression Check - if all good:
- ʻBeforeʼ Power Run
- Installation of hardware:
- A 15% or 17% Reduced Supercharger Pulley
- Belt to suit
- Denso Spark Plugs
- Installation of Software
- ʻAfterʼ Power Run

£700 fitted and installed, inc VAT. This should typically take a morning or afternoon to complete.

Customer testing with a 15% Pulley has shown a result of 206bhp, alongside the numerous improvements seen in drivability as detailed above.

Customer Feedback on power: "I could not believe the difference! It pulls from standstill so smooth all the way. It is a different beast now, no blips in power or anything. Perfection is the word!"

Customer Feedback on Lohen's Traction Control: "The Lohen-revised Traction Control gives a noticeable, positive improvement over the standard TC. It is far less intrusive than the standard TC, whereby it allows the power to get to the wheels gradually to aid driving, almost like a diff. You definitely get off the mark quicker and see the dash light less frequently. However, the performance enhancements don't overshadow the safety aspect - my TC still kicked in in adverse weather conditions (e.g. snow)."

It is possible to further enhance the performance of your MINI by adding hardware such as uprated Intercooler, Intake, Manifold & High Flow Catalyst and Catback Exhaust. We have yet to dyno every combination of this hardware so do not have all variations of bhp figures available immediately: this is part of on-going development.

Please contact Lohen for further details - [email protected] or 01785 859999.

*With thanks to KW Suspension, Pirelli Tyres and OZ Racing for supply of coilovers, tyres and wheels for high-speed testing*

·
Super Moderator
5,978 Posts
Looks very good, will it work on cars that have larger injectors or are at the point where they are maxing out the stock injectors so require more fuelling?

If you need a car to test the above, I'm local ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was going to get in on this but due to work sending me away at the last minute, completely forgot and missed out :(

Good job though, but out of interest for myself do you have a graph showing earlier lower BHP Cooper S, as mine is the 163?? BHP version and would like to see what difference your software made.

Expect a call when I get back in the UK,

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks very good, will it work on cars that have larger injectors or are at the point where they are maxing out the stock injectors so require more fuelling?

If you need a car to test the above, I'm local ;)
Thank you. It's my understanding this first round of software focuses on the hardware we have listed at this stage. However we have worked extensively on the ECU and can manipulate all manner of parameters so your request should certainly be possible with time. Our map doesn't rely on simply dumping fuel, it's a reworking of the ECU from the ground up so we'd need to take some time to assess the restriction of the ECU setup you have and work out how best to maximise your setup.

This is going to take time - can I put you in our development folder for future work? (We're just about to start racing in both championships: don't like to do things by halves!) I can revisit this once racing is underway, if that's ok with you?

Pinged you guys an email, you could stand to make some serious money off of me :p

Rhys is working on it for you as we type :)

I was going to get in on this but due to work sending me away at the last minute, completely forgot and missed out :(

Good job though, but out of interest for myself do you have a graph showing earlier lower BHP Cooper S, as mine is the 163?? BHP version and would like to see what difference your software made.

Expect a call when I get back in the UK,
Cheers - sorry you were not able to help in the testing but we should be able to help moving forward. As mentioned we're a bit manic *but* I will note the request for the dyno graph and post it up as soon as I am able.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
A question about Launch Control from Facebook - How does the launch control work? Cut spark so lots of bang bangs?

The Launch Control (LC) does incorporate an ignition cut but not in it's crudest form. It cuts at every 720 degree revolution - it 'flutters' rather than 'bangs' because 'bangs' would be detrimental to vehicles fitted with a catalyst. We can calibrate it to suit the driver's requirements but for optimal use we recommend launch between 3.5k - 4.5k. It's worth noting LC will affect Traction Control (TC) in lower gears so for the every day user we'd suggest you consider leaving LC off. It is a very fun feature, though and even with LC enabled, the TC is still a fantastic improvement over the standard TC.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I thought it would be worth it just to smooth the power delivery out, I didn't think it would add any power to the peak figure... So I'm very interested so will be in touch soon!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had this done today and had a enjoyable 200 miles home. Much nicer drive, smoother from 4000 to the improved red line and better response. Results said 216hp with all the usual mods, 15% pulley, intercooler, intake, manifold and cat back and aparently it should get better ;-)

Traction control only came on in a straight line, not just when pulling out of a junction!

Thanks Lohen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts