MiniTorque.com banner

lightweight, performance batteries... thoughts and opinions please!

2529 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  mullenmini
i'm toying with buying a lightweight, performance battery, what are people's thoughts on them and are there any brands that people use/can recommend?!
cheers guys!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Why would you bother? How much more performance would you expect and how much performance wound you sacrifice?
A performance battery is smaller and can be turned on it's side because it uses a different cell technology to a standard battery.
To do this it sacrifices some of the benefits of a normal battery. It has a reduced peak power, has a reduced constant power. It nay need replacing if fully discharged and is best put on trickle charge if your car is going to be left standing for a few weeks. And they're expensive, and they need special brackets.
normal battery is in the best place and dosent cause hassle, dont go chopping the tray out when you dont need too
I'm getting one, just because it means i dont have to cut the car up
Bhozar runs one in his car and has done for well over a year now and uses the car day to day

When I spoke to him about it he said he's never had any issues with it. In fact he said he left the car for a couple of months over winter and didnt move it. Jumped in and it started first time

Its worth dropping him a PM, if hes not on here he is on yam
well, I don't think you need to take weight out of the rear end of the MINI unless you're at the strip - it's pretty front heavy, so you may as well leave stick with the stock battery and spend your money on something else
I've got a buddy developing one of these. I don't know the details but he sent me this video the other day....
YouTube - Ultra lightweight race battery
I've got a buddy developing one of these. I don't know the details but he sent me this video the other day....
it's impressive.... can't wait to get one:thumbup1:
I have a carbon braille one but for track use it serves its purpose - I wouldn't bother on a road car
That is light :thumbup1:
I have a carbon braille one but for track use it serves its purpose - I wouldn't bother on a road car
I'm on my 3rd braille battery. Darn thing is dead 2 out of 3 times I go to start the car. Jan will attest, thing dies while writing software to it on the dyno. I'm now to the point where I keep a spare.
I use a varley red top 25..no issue at the moment.
Gravedigging...

Want to put my battery on the back of the car(it's a One not an S), and in order to avoid reducing the luggage compartment i was thinking about putting a battery that used the space of the emergency tools etc.

I use my car daily and i have a stock radio(dont want to upgrade)....

So what would be the best battery in my case?
I use a varley red top 25..no issue at the moment.
€?
and you have been using it for how long now?
Won't fit in the tool tray compartment, you'll have to cut a hole through the carpet.
See less See more
I'm sure minicrafts r53 has a race battery behind the interior rear quarter panel. Might be worth dropping them a pm for details
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.