MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,685 Posts
I've been after a quickjack for an age now. I need the garage space to go with it though

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got my daily back after loaning it out for a couple of months so started some more jobs.

Rear anti roll bar, drop links, NSR wheel bearing and rear discs and Mintex M1144 pads. Had to drop the rear subframe about 2-3" to fit the ARB, fiddly to get aligned when refitting but not too bad of a job!

I originally planned to kurust and underseal it at the same time but that can wait for warmer weather so I can keep the garage door open!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I had to lower my subframe too so think thats normal.
Whiteline? Good bar and same setting I had mine on.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Top work, great to see the whiteline on 😎

Fiddly job but not too bad, did your wheel bearing bolts play ball when removing? Will need to do mine in the coming months I think.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah they came straight out, only ones that put up any kind of fight were the lower shock bolts... Impact had them out but they were smoking hot!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah they came straight out, only ones that put up any kind of fight were the lower shock bolts... Impact had them out but they were smoking hot!
You’re brave to wind them out with an impact gun! They are prone to snapping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I don't use it for everything luckily, it's rated to 950nm so would destroy some stuck smaller bolts! 3 speeds though, well worth the investment! For the subframe bolts it was a breeze

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got the manifold off yesterday as there's a slight blow. Just waiting for an O2 sensor socket to turn up then can get the sensors swapped and new manifold fitted.

20210215_184323.jpg

Noticed during the recent work that the all the shocks are original bar the NSR and the OSR one looks a bit worse for wear. When I was removing the manifold yesterday I noticed the front top mounts look different - the drivers side is higher and has stress marks so is knackered, could explain the random noise I get in that corner I can't seem to trace. Ordered 4x Bilstein B4 shocks, Eibach Pro Kit and Lemforder OEM top mounts. Didn't fancy another £1k+ on coilovers given I've just ordered a GR Yaris.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I've gone for a Circuit Pack in Pearl White. Although I found out after the order was confirmed that I've missed the allocation for 2021 so got to wait 14 months for it! Luckily I have the R53 to keep me occupied in the mean time...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've gone for a Circuit Pack in Pearl White. Although I found out after the order was confirmed that I've missed the allocation for 2021 so got to wait 14 months for it! Luckily I have the R53 to keep me occupied in the mean time...
Congrats on the Yaris! I ordered one back in December and hopefully expecting it in May/June... Black w/circuit pack

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Congrats on the Yaris! I ordered one back in December and hopefully expecting it in May/June... Black w/circuit pack
Nice one. I've been umm'ing and arr'ing since December, wish I'd have made the decision sooner but hindsight is wonderful.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Did the oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler O rings last night, urgh, fiddly and messy doing the oil cooler! My car is relatively leak free, but thought I'd change these as preventative maintenance as there was a slight weep on the edge of oil cooler but not enough to drip on the floor. The old seals had gone hard so definitely needed doing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
First road test after changing:
  • Rear anti roll bar & drop links
  • Rear discs and pads
  • NSR wheel bearing
  • Exhaust manifold
  • Oil filter housing gasket
  • Oil cooler o-rings
It drives nice, the rear anti roll bar makes turn in even sharper. No oil leaks from anything I've done but unfortunately the downpipe to mid section is blowing slightly despite being effing tight so need some RTV or similar around the new gasket. I managed to round one of my O2 sensors which is a pain, I bought an O2 sensor socket but it opened up after the first sensor. Bought a sturdier one but the first socket had started rounding so new sensor required:

20210218_185701.jpg

New genuine sensor on the way, I've put a spare O2 sensor with the wires cut back in so its not an open hole. There's a stored code as expected but as its a post-cat sensor there's no EML and it runs fine. The new manifold doesn't have a pre-cat and its changed the tone of the exhaust slightly, more burbling and pops on the overrun which was unexpected! Its also made it more responsive at lower revs, which has made the top end feel less peaky but it still pulls just as well.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
744 Posts
Mate looking forward to watching this progress! Also nice one on the GR Yaris, what an awesome little car they are 👍👍

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
With the recent lockdown plan I thought I'd better crack on and get everything finished before the end of March/early April. Car back in the garage to do the shocks, springs and R56 front conversion.

Not off to a good start, front pinch bolts sheared clean off. One broke with an impact so thought I'd try a breaker bar on the other side and it still snapped! I'd doused them in penetrating fluid every couple of days for the past 2 weeks as well!

20210222_182303.jpg

Started dismantling the front hubs, will do the inner & outer ball joints whilst at it for full masochist points

21 - 40 of 42 Posts