MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 14 years and 96k miles of bottoms sitting on and getting in and out of the seats in our Mini they had a few scuffs, but no cuts.

I bought some charcoal leather dye from EBay for £6 to sort them out.

Now it’s fair to say it’s not about making them like brand new, its about making them look much better.

Today the dye arrived and I put it on, the before and after pictures say the rest.

Before (drivers side of course):

After a simple rub on and buff off:

You can still see the scratches to the surface, but it’s so much better.

I did around the seams and a few other scratches on this seat and the passengers and I’m very pleased with the outcome, plus hardly used any of the dye.

So why not use boot polish, well unless you don’t mind staining on your clothes you can, but the dye is the correct colour and once dry does not come off.

Here is an eBay link, they do other colours so pick the right one. BTW Mini black leather is actual charcoal not black. If you have 1/2 leather seats do not get the dye on the material parts.

Happy days.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,655 Posts
I used a light grey sharpie on mine back in the day and built it up bit by bit. Buying the correct stuff is definitely the way forward though

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a light grey sharpie on mine back in the day and built it up bit by bit. Buying the correct stuff is definitely the way forward though

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I’ve tried similar things on other cars, this was a good find on one of the Mini Facebook groups, hence sharing it.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
In fact I encourage all of you to try it. Youll wonder how youve got through life not doing. Word of warning though, dont be greedy and do it every night. Just occasional pampering 🤣

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,760 Posts
In fact I encourage all of you to try it. Youll wonder how youve got through life not doing. Word of warning though, dont be greedy and do it every night. Just occasional pampering 🤣
I used to use the same approach on my Snooker cue back in the 80’s
found it helped on the follow through 😜

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
714 Posts
After 14 years and 96k miles of bottoms sitting on and getting in and out of the seats in our Mini they had a few scuffs, but no cuts.

I bought some charcoal leather dye from EBay for £6 to sort them out.

Now it’s fair to say it’s not about making them like brand new, its about making them look much better.

Today the dye arrived and I put it on, the before and after pictures say the rest.

Before (drivers side of course):

View attachment 101790

After a simple rub on and buff off:
View attachment 101791
You can still see the scratches to the surface, but it’s so much better.

I did around the seams and a few other scratches on this seat and the passengers and I’m very pleased with the outcome, plus hardly used any of the dye.

So why not use boot polish, well unless you don’t mind staining on your clothes you can, but the dye is the correct colour and once dry does not come off.

Here is an eBay link, they do other colours so pick the right one. BTW Mini black leather is actual charcoal not black. If you have 1/2 leather seats do not get the dye on the material parts.

Happy days.
Looks awesome Keith! I might see if I can try to find a dark blue one for mine.....any pointers Id appreciate it 👍👍

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
I've always just rubbed in shoe polish to darken the creases etc, never noticed it ever transferring to clothes, I've ordered some of the above though....

Reactions: KeithyCoop

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've always just rubbed in shoe polish to darken the creases etc, never noticed it ever transferring to clothes, I've ordered some of the above though....
One is a dye and the other a polish, I tried polish on my old Calibra turbo seats, ended up on my white shirt, not happy so not tried it since.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,760 Posts
This worked well for me on the gp1 recaro style 2 tone grey seats used as options on the latter 2005/6 convertible.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought a tub of the above as recommended by KeithyCoop, turned up today.
Bloody good stuff. Works a treat.
Note to self. Read the instructions about wearing gloves!
I can't get the stuff of my fingers!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought a tub of the above as recommended by KeithyCoop, turned up today.
Bloody good stuff. Works a treat.
Note to self. Read the instructions about wearing gloves!
I can't get the stuff of my fingers!!!
I did read the instructions and wore gloves and afterwards I could see why!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts