MiniTorque.com banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Not much happened over the festive period. My friend couldn’t fit my bumper in for painting as he was super busy. He started prepping the bumper and its now booked in for the first week in February for painting and fitting along with the halo sidelights. The GP rear bumper trim will be fitted at the same time plus all the trim painted satin black.

The last week in February the Mini is booked in at 1320 for engine work and they are fitting KW V1 coilovers too.

A couple of weeks ago the mini started making a loud whirling noise. I took it to a local garage after being advised it was the idler pulley. New idler pulley was fitted. The alternator casing was found to be cracked so that was replaced along with new belt tensioner and pulley as they had blown. What I thought was a cheap idler replacement turned into an expensive trip to the garage.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Love the interior re trim items :w00t: Can I ask where you got them from ?

Is it a thing with these cars to have cracked alternator housings? Mine had a cracked one for ages until it literally fell apart and I had no choice but no replace it

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Love the interior re trim items :w00t: Can I ask where you got them from ?

Is it a thing with these cars to have cracked alternator housings? Mine had a cracked one for ages until it literally fell apart and I had no choice but no replace it
Hello buddy, I live near Exeter and I used a local company called Westcountry Trimmers.
I don’t know regarding the alternators. I just dropped my car off for idler pulley and he rang me to say the casing had cracked on the alternator. It split the whole way along. Maybe started as a hairline crack. Bloody cars lol.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Looking great! Did you have the bumper lights on the arches smoothened too?
Thank you buddy, I’m pleased with how it looks so far. Can’t wait for the front bumper to be on now. I’ve had it over a year in the garage. I’m having the bumper reflectors painted satin black aswell so it should all blend in.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hello buddy, I live near Exeter and I used a local company called Westcountry Trimmers.
I don’t know regarding the alternators. I just dropped my car off for idler pulley and he rang me to say the casing had cracked on the alternator. It split the whole way along. Maybe started as a hairline crack. Bloody cars lol.
Always something waiting to break with these cars.....
Its a bit of a trip for me to pop down to your local trimmers.....they are very nice though. Maybe next time i'm holidaying in your lovely part of the UK

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Big update :

The last 4 weeks has seen a lot of work done on the Mini. Firstly I got my Aero front bumper painted and fitted. I had the fog light surrounds painted satin black. Halo sidelights were fitted as well as new JCW top and middle grilles, number plate base and toe hook plug.

When I purchased the bumper

At the paint shop

Final result

I’ve also had all the arch trims/skirt edges along with the new GP rear trim painted satin black to match the front bumper as the plastic had faded and was all different shades

I picked the car up from the painters at 8am then travelled 250 miles to 1320. When I visited them in November, they performed an engine leakdown and compression test. Results were not good. Piston rings and exhaust valves were worn resulting in the car burning way too much oil. They advised me on a engine rebuild. I knew if I sold the Mini, I would live to regret it. So whilst I was there in November, I booked it in for engine rebuild and KW V1 coilovers. They offered me a courtesy car so I ended up with the KW car.

Once home I gave it a good clean

They sent me some pictures as they were progressing

I also had a new timing chain kit fitted along with a new fuel filter and superflex wishbone bushes.

Picture after coilovers were fitted but not settled

They have ran the engine in for me and it made the same power as previous on the dyno. I’m over the moon. Not only is the engine future proof, I love the look of new front bumper and the stance with the coilovers. Massive thanks to Thomas and Scott at 1320 Mini. Their work is second to none.

Here’s the final result

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
quite a commitment to get it done, well done for not selling it and particularly for not breaking it as so many others are doing!

Reactions: PLawrence1584

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
quite a commitment to get it done, well done for not selling it and particularly for not breaking it as so many others are doing!
Thank you CarsOrBikes. I’ve owned this car for over 6 years. It’s my only car but I’ve always seen it as my project. I still have lots planned when money allows. I don’t use it everyday as I get free bus travel for working for stagecoach. It was too easy to break it and I knew I would always regret it.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
That is looking great bud! Aero bumpers are a huge aesthetic improvement on the mini .
Great idea on painting the plastics, saves having to coat then every month!

Lawrence I’m in Exeter, feel free to drop me a pm, be good to meet a fellow mini torque member locally

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
That is looking great bud! Aero bumpers are a huge aesthetic improvement on the mini .
Great idea on painting the plastics, saves having to coat then every month!

Lawrence I’m in Exeter, feel free to drop me a pm, be good to meet a fellow mini torque member locally
Thank you mate. I agree with you regarding the Aero kit. Gets rid of a lot of the black plastic that comes with the standard skirts and front bumpers.

Yeah my painter suggested painting the plastics. I was getting frustrated with them all faded.

Yes I will do mate, I live in Newton Abbot so no distance between us at all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Not much has happened in the last few months since the engine rebuild. Started to save up for a G-wing.
I’ve managed to do a few little bits today.
Fitted a Mini Bitz black beltline kit, Roadie Designs 3D printed washer fluid & headlight washer caps and a genuine GP rear boot decal from Orranje.

I have ordered some gloss black door handle and fuel cap covers then after that it will be the G-wing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
Update :

Genuine JCW Carbon tailgate handle was purchased from Drew Johnstone

I have also purchased a brand new pair of Genuine GP bumper inserts from Drew. They will be painted and fitted next year when my budget allows

I replaced the old rusted wing mirror bolts with some stainless steel ones

The Mini chucked up fault code P1613, 3 warning lights came on and the speedo was only working intermittently. My local garage ended up replacing both rear ABS sensors. Fault code cleared but lights stayed on. Turned out to be a problem with the wiring which has now been sorted.

G-Wing has been purchased from Oli @ Orranje and is currently at the painters. Going gloss black to tie in with the roof rather than the standard satin.

MOT is next month. I need to replace all 4 discs and pads. I had 8 advisories last year which should be cut down to 4 or 5 due to items I’ve replaced in the last year.
The hard brake lines I fear will be flagged up again for this year.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Update :

MOT passed with no advisories which was surprising as it’s the same garage that gave me 8 last year.

Orranje G-Wing has been painted gloss black and fitted today along with a cooper spoiler. Completely changes the look of the car. I love it. Nothing more to happen now until the new year.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts