MiniTorque.com banner

Larger injectors for the R50 now available !

22K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  CanadianA 
#1 ·
For all those of you who spend time and money for your N/A R50, i have good news.
The stock R50 injectors are very small, at 178cc/min@3 bar (Bosch part number 0280155991). Anything more than a full exhaust system and intake, like a camshaft, will take them to 100% duty cycle at high rpm if remapped, something not good. Also it's not safe to run an R50 with a camshaft and/or ported head without a custom remap, as it leans out at various rpms ranges, depending on the camshaft characteristics.
Until now, there were no available larger injectors for the R50, either the available ones are too larger for a 1.6l normally aspirated engine that will rarely make more than 150-160bhp.
The solution to this is a set of Bosch EV6 injectors, part number 0280155865. They just require two small fuel rail spacers to fit, and the plastic engine cover has to be removed, which i consider is minour. These injectors flow 267cc/min @ 3 bar. They retain the dual cone spray pattern, at a 20 degree angle instead of the 15 degree stock angle. The axial deviation angle is 0, just like stock. They require no adaptors, as they have a uscar type connector, just like stock.
These injectors are ONLY recomended to R50s with at least a camshaft fitted. Not recomended for cars with just an intake, exhaust etc, because they are not needed. They flow enough for any power output a street normally aspirated R50 engine will make, and are not too large like other injectors out there. This means they will be calibrated easier, and will respond much better at low engine loads and idle.
The good news are, these will work even without a tune, although i will NOT recomend this. The closed loop will adapt shortly to normal air/fuel ratios, but it will be very rich at open loop.What i want to say is, you have fit them and drive to the dyno, to have your custom remap done, without a single problem. Only the first startup, where it will take a minute or so, until it adapts with the injectors on.

The part numbers are mentioned, so anyone can have them imported from US. I am also able to supply them at a very competitive price, along with the fitting kit, anyone interested just pm me.

Also a few photos and a video showing the behaviour of the ecu with these fitted just a few seconds after the install.

Attachments

See less See more
#12 · (Edited)
More technical info :)
These injectors also feature a faster response time than the stock R50 injectors.
I have to thank Jason @ Mynes for his valueable help on this :)
Left table is the stock injectors, right table is the high flow injectors.
These information are very usefull to anyone who will use Mynes software to tune with.

Attachments

#15 ·
That's just it.. I keep hearing that they can scale the 550's to work on every application so why not on my car as well and just scale them down.. Why buy just "alittle" larger injector and then down the road if more mods done have to buy larger injectors again..
If the 550's can't be scaled to fit all applitcations someone just needs to say so and then I'd understand why buying these injectors might be a good idea..

#17 ·
Yeah, the 550s are a good idea, if you wanna convert the R50 to single point injection lol (joking)
Start your own thread about this if you want, and i'm sure Jay or Mike will let you know. I am sure they will tell you 550s are not to be used on a R50 for no reason.
And something more. These are not a "little" larger, these are about 50% larger than stock, and will handle pretty much any power a normally aspirated R50 can make.

#19 · (Edited)
The 550's are being pushed hard for the R53 with the basic mods ( 200-220 HP area ) with the theory of just scaling them down to each engine. That's why I asked about them.. Just go with them and scale them down to fit per say.. If that is all there is too it..
I personally don't think you want to go too big for the job at hand and scale/trim them down a bit but not toooooooooooooooooo much for each application.. Don't want to get to lean up top!!!

PS: there are some n/a engines out there making over 200 hp... Mainly race engine but still.. I think there are still things to learn with them... 200 hp is 200 hp anyway you get it..

#20 · (Edited)
Just thought i'd share some interesting logging data on my R53.

Nick, you will be able to get all these logging info with your R50 with the Tuning Kit, and see the duty-cycles of your injectors during WOT. Sorry to thread-jack just for a brief moment.
===========
I was getting on the freeway today so i logged the 06 MCS running E85, here are the results (car is only putting down 227whp on a dynojet with Bosch OE 550s and MegaMINI cam running E85 fuel).

Note the "1st shaded yellow area", at one point, these 550s are maxxed out in 2nd gear at 7125rpm, duty-cycle was at 100%.

Note the "2nd shaded green area", the injector duty was at 83% in 3rd gear at 6500rpm.

So yeah, the 550s may sound like they are big injectors, the above data clearly indicate that they are getting maxxed out. So yeah, we will likely have to go even BIGGER than the 550s on the injectors in order for us to make more safer power on E85.

We don't force or push hard for anybody to buy anything they do not want to buy. Like i stated in my signature, i'm only here to present the FACTs... people can make up their own minds... if you have facts to share, please don't hesitate to do so :thumbup: Cheers!

Reactions: batou
#21 ·
Mike, i really apreciate your information, no matter if they are irrelevant to the R50 engine subject. It would be better if we could see the injector duty cycle with normal pump gas, as very few people run E85 fuel.

About the R50 larger injectors which we are talking about here, what is your opinion?

Cheers,
Nick

#24 ·
550s on Pump 91 octane & RMW 440s on 91 Octane

With 91 Octane at 206WHP, my 06 MCS with the same mods is at 72% - 74% with the Bosch OE 550s. There are a lot of guys here in US running FA and the 550s, i will have them post up their findings and logs as well. I'm doing long-term testing on E85 with my car so it will be another month before i switch back to 91 pump.

Last weekend there was a customer dyno'ing his MINI with 17% with RMW 440 and RMW tune. It made 186whp on the same Dynojet (and it made 216 Hub-HP at Church's Dynapack; so our estimate of 17%~18% HP difference between Dynapack and Dynojet seems to hold true also) and we logged it using FA. At that power level, those injectors were at 84% duty-cycle and the AFR was 11.2 ~ 11.5 measured from the tailpipe (customer didn't have the Innovate in-car unit).

Note: Different dyno reads differently. The above numbers are for reference purpose only so don't take it out of context. I'm simply sharing our findings...

#27 ·
With 91 Octane at 206WHP, my 06 MCS with the same mods is at 72% - 74% with the Bosch OE 550s. There are a lot of guys here in US running FA and the 550s, i will have them post up their findings and logs as well. I'm doing long-term testing on E85 with my car so it will be another month before i switch back to 91 pump.

Last weekend there was a customer dyno'ing his MINI with 17% with RMW 440 and RMW tune. It made 186whp on the same Dynojet (and it made 216 Hub-HP at Church's Dynapack; so our estimate of 17%~18% HP difference between Dynapack and Dynojet seems to hold true also) and we logged it using FA. At that power level, those injectors were at 84% duty-cycle and the AFR was 11.2 ~ 11.5 measured from the tailpipe (customer didn't have the Innovate in-car unit).

Note: Different dyno reads differently. The above numbers are for reference purpose only so don't take it out of context. I'm simply sharing our findings...

What RMW and 440 injectors had to do with this conversation, I don't know...

My apologies to the OP for getting off topic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.