MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the specs of the linear springs that come fitted to ST XTAs?
I’m emailing KW now and the only linear ones they’d offer are Clubsports at 80N/mm with a helper spring.

Do the STs have helper springs? And are they as stiff?

If these aren’t right, how do I go about getting custom springs? I’d imagine CarsOrBikes can probably help there??

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Do the STs have helper springs? And are they as stiff?
Helper springs by definition are much less stiff. They are the thin springs above the normal springs that ensure the whole thing doesn't rattle/fall off in droop/extension situations.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helper springs by definition are much less stiff. They are the thin springs above the normal springs that ensure the whole thing doesn't rattle/fall off in droop/extension situations.
Sorry - two parts to that question worded badly.
Does an ST XTA run helpers?
If no - is the spring the same as the clubsport at 80N/mm or is it softer?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Sorry - two parts to that question worded badly.
Does an ST XTA run helpers?
If no - is the spring the same as the clubsport at 80N/mm or is it softer?
XTAs run softer springs than the clubsports, I've supplied a couple of sets of H&R race springs to customers 'upgrading' to stiffer springs, which were 60N/mm

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XTAs run softer springs than the clubsports, I've supplied a couple of sets of H&R race springs to customers 'upgrading' to stiffer springs, which were 60N/mm
Thanks mate,
KW have confirmed that the XTAs are a 50N/mm spring and will fit the V2 paired to clubsport top mount.
Fairly reasonable at £52+vat each too

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Thanks for thinking of me regarding springs, I don't think these you mention come with helpers,

Swift springs I can supply in various rates from 3-34kg/mm with different lengths as you wish. Unlike many springs they are top tier linear springs that won't sag after short periods of use, they won't suffer coil bind as some can as the grade allows fewer coils/length and they would be an upgrade to most coilovers but there is more info here including links to the YCW/Swift damping and spring calculators YCW Suspension - Over-Engineered for Performance, Comfort & Safety

Most coilovers for our Minis are a 62mm perch and Swift cater for 60, 65 and 70mm so you'd need platform adapters and 65's, click the drop downs for further information if required, helper and assist springs and collars are all available to order, as are re-valving services if you're contemplating changing the rate for an existing damper. If you haven't yet considered this it may be worth looking into because your damping will be out and adjusters vague.

YCW coilovers have Swift springs as standard and are £1440 plus fitting on the R53, 56, F56, plus geometry setup. Upgrading to Swift is more costly than your above price I'm sorry to say but the grade of spring is also different. If you look at the per corner cost of Upgraded springs and rebuilt/re-valve'd/serviced existing coils rather than run with a compromise, the appeal of high spec YCW coilovers with only that difference to pay to change becomes clear I think.

then if I was to fit them free with only the coilovers and geometry check to pay for it could be more tempting for some I guess,

…..carry on ;O)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks chap!

If it was my car and I was looking for a new setup, I'd be coming your way.
This is just for my dads "runaround" and finding a way to use the Clubsport top mounts that I can't seem to sell - win win!

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
:O)

I've seen the ad, they'd perhaps go on one of the faceache groups?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts