MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
EB MCS
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since i have done a few hard trips to the ring this year i have had a knocking noise from the n/s/r.

I have had all the suspension to pieces, checked all the bushes and they all seem ok. It sounds like is coming from the shock.

I am running spax rsx coilovers.

The noise happens even on smooth roads and just sounds like a constant knocking.

Any ideas?

·
Rooster
5,349 Posts
what rear bumper you got? mine makes a knocking noise quite often because its a flimsy mofo.
maybe your exhaust is hitting the underside of the car? mine also does this as my '1320cat' mod not done by 1320 is a little bit too long and knocks quite often

My cars a knocker :)

·
EB MCS
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the aero rear bumper fitted now, but it was knocking when i had the standard rear fitted to.

I could not see anywhere, where the exhaust would be knocking but i will have a better look.

·
Rooster
5,349 Posts
mine doesnt look like it will touch the heat shield when I look, but its happening just where the exhaust turns corners at the rear end

·
Bugger
25,321 Posts
my millteck used to hit the battery heatsheild on the inside, could aslo be the shock itself

·
EB MCS
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds more like the shock itself as my miltek has been on for a while and knocking didnt start till after a lot of hard track sessions!

I have stripped down the coilover and i cant see how it can be knocking unless its from inside the unit itself.

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
Are there any baffle plates loose in the exhaust - if they have them ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Are you using the OEM rear top mounts? If yes maybe one of them is responsible for the noise. I had the same problem with you, I have BC coilovers and the problem fixed by changing a faulty rear top mount.

It sounds more like the shock itself as my miltek has been on for a while and knocking didnt start till after a lot of hard track sessions!

I have stripped down the coilover and i cant see how it can be knocking unless its from inside the unit itself.

·
BRG R53 Cooper S
2,617 Posts
glad i found this i have exactly the same noise and i am using spax rsx coilovers! the noise has only been there since i fitted them! i usually just turn my music up to cure it! like all the rattles on my mini :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
Mine is exactly the same, no one seems to know a cure. Again only ever since i fitted my kw's

Im gonna change the topmounts as i've got a feeling it may be because of this. Funny though as its only the passenger side rear that does it on my car, and on your guys cars its the same story :lol:

·
Bugger
25,321 Posts
Mine is exactly the same, no one seems to know a cure. Again only ever since i fitted my kw's

Im gonna change the topmounts as i've got a feeling it may be because of this. Funny though as its only the passenger side rear that does it on my car, and on your guys cars its the same story :lol:
Greigs car did it on the drive side rear :confused1:

you lot have all been shagging on the passenger side, greig has been shagging on the driver side :thumbup1:

·
Rooster
5,349 Posts
Greigs car did it on the drive side rear :confused1:

you lot have all been shagging on the passenger side, greig has been shagging on the driver side :thumbup1:
not true, he has just been wanking.

·
EB MCS
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It has crossed my mind that it could be the top mount. I am going to replace the n/s/r coilover with one of my standard shocks and test it to see if the problem goes away.

If the problem goes away them it is a faulty shock, if not then i will try a set of top mounts.

·
2,768 Posts
what rear bumper you got? mine makes a knocking noise quite often because its a flimsy mofo.
maybe your exhaust is hitting the underside of the car? mine also does this as my '1320cat' mod not done by 1320 is a little bit too long and knocks quite often

My cars a knocker :)
whats this 1320 mod cat eveyone is talking about??!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you ever get to the bottom of this knocking, just fit some v maxx coilovers and it sounds like the bloody things are going to rattle lose and fall off even though I've checked that everything's tight 683655 times!! I'm also currently using the radio volume button to fix it

·
Registered
108 Posts
i've got Spax RSX too and passenger side rear shock knocks al lot, I can't find the solution either. topmounts is a good shout though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts